Bass Pro Shops/ Cabelas

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Micropterus salmoides, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Micropterus salmoides

Micropterus salmoides Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering what the thoughts of the fishing/ hunting community of San Diego would think about a Superstore locating in San Diego? Being such a large fishing community here in San Diego, I find it hard to believe that one is not closer and more centrally located.
    I know a lot of people here love the mom and pop shops, but the selection, variety, and prices just don't compare.
    Looking for San Diego's thoughts and opinions.

2. eastcountyfisher

eastcountyfisher New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would absolutely LOVE to have one to open up in San Diego. The one closest to us is a bit of a drive just to go and i am mostly limited to the local shops here. Though i do like them and you get to know the owners and workers it would be nice to have the HUGE selection close by.

-ECF

3. tomegun

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +133
    Satellite stores of the biggies are overrated. The selection of lures is not the quality you would think. I'd rather shop from them online. Then again, they have cool fish tanks.

4. creeker1

creeker1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I wonder if California's strict gun laws keeps them away? I also wonder if the upper level management of those companies views Californians as tree huggers and granola munchers, not hunters and fishermen?

5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,327
    Bass Pro Shops was looking at SD county (looked San Marcos and also up at Long Beach) a few years back, before they settled on Rancho Cucamonga. The strict gun laws was a large factor in the final choice. I have also heard that they chose that RC location because a lot of people stop there on their way to the Sierras and other fishing/camping destinations to the north. Also they are not too far from the San Bernardino mountains. Demographics and economy also figure in.

I heard some rumors last year that Cabela's was looking at Temecula, but nothing seems to have come of that.

6. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    I stop at the RC one everytime I go to Vegas, which isn't a lot but it is still an easy location for those that do go to Vegas to stop by and check it out.

7. creeker1

creeker1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Every time I drive to the Eastern Sierra I think "This time I'll stop at Bass Pro," but each time I'm always in such a hurry to get fishing I drive right by.

8. duff75

duff75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will make a trip up to the RC store when ever I have to go that way for something, when I go to Vegas I do not bother stopping at the RC store as I like the Vegas one better. as far as Cabelas I heard they will not open in CA due to the highter cost of permits and taxes, and the minimum wage in the state. the truth be told I will buy local if they have what I want in stock not because I feel the need to shop locally but I want something I want it now not in a day or two. if It is something I know and love and just trying to stock up I get it online from a shop in AZ as I get 10% for military, no tax and free shipping over 50 bucks. delivered to my door in 1-3 days. my last order was for 25 packs of robos which I would have only got 18 packs local.

9. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Well, if the question is "what do I think about a Super Store locating in San Diego?" -- I'd be against it. Yes, occasionally I buy stuff from Cabelas, (mail order) but I find the help and wisdom of the local "mom and pops" invaluable. I prefer to spend my bucks locally and would hate to see the livelihoods of our local shops threatened.

Example: Anglers Arsenal is just 5 min's from my house. John C. has spent a lot of time explaining to me technique, products, knowledge of the current bite and other helpful tips -- even picked up Capt James' San Diego Bay Fishing Tactics DVD. I just don't think you get that kind of value-added service and/or knowledge at a big-box type retail environment.

Interesting question though... "free market" versus local loyalties, etc. Just my 2 cents.

10. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    I worked for the bass pro shops in Portage Indiana that opened a few years back. Before bass pro and cabelas opened up atleast half if not more of the local tackle shops closed. Think of it like a wal mart that shuts down all the mom and pop stores when they open up.

11. Largemouth

Largemouth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yea I agree, Bass pro shops and Cabels aren't what people think they are. The price's aren't any better than our local shops, they don't carry the custom or quality gear that is specifically designed to fish our waters.
    Those shops are fun to stop at on a road trip but I would MUCH rather get all my gear at one of our great "mom and pop shops".

12. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    A D*ck's sporting goods is going to open up in Parkway plaza. I never been to one but I heard they have some fishing gear, I"m not sure how much though.

13. 93Buff

93Buff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    As everyone already knows, I'm a huge proponent of shopping locally to keep our local shops healthy. It would be a shame to see any of them go out and that's exactly what would happen if a "mega" store moved in.

The shear size of the footprint/cost of real estate also restricts those stores from coming to San Diego County which is fine by me.

I think of it this way: I compare Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops to Home Depot vs. a local hardware store. You may save a few bucks here and there by shopping at Home Depot, but when you really need help/advice, Home Depot can't hold a candle to your local Mom and Pop hardware store. There's a lot to be said for the local knowledge and expertise that our local shops provide.

And call me crazy, but to me there's just something about shooting the BS at the shop, handing my greenbacks to an actual person, exchanging hand shakes and thank you's, etc... vs. shopping on-line that I still enjoy. I guess I'm older than my years...

And to those of you who fish tournaments, our local shops support/contribute big-time to our local events and that's shouldn't be overlooked. They support us, so we should support them, it's that simple...

And last, but not least, many of our local shop owners are heavily involved with The San Diego Council of Bass Clubs and they volunteer their time to preserve our fishing rights/access. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes than most of us know about...

14. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    we had a DSG in VA when I was stationed there. Not much selection, and way overpriced. They also carry everything else for sports, a la gym clothes, golf clubs, weight benches, etc. Personally, I prefer to shop ebay for alot of my lures. If I know what color/style I want, then a bit of research can get you a good deal on ebay. BPS is great for their hunting clothing. I love that Red Head brand of clothing. Cheaper than the other stuff, but just as durable. I don't buy fishing gear from them, but their bullet prices are comparable. It just depends on what you're looking for.

I wouldn't be opposed to a BPS a bit closer, but I do most of my shopping online anyway. I'll pay a bit of shipping if the end price is cheaper than buying it somewhere. I don't have time to fish during the week, much less shop for tackle at a bait store. I can order it Monday/Tuesday, have it here by Friday, and fish with it Saturday. And if I'm saving a few bucks, that's gas in the tank.

15. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    And I think Cabela's is for hunters and fishermen and outdoorsmen that are in a much higher tax bracket than myself. I just can't afford their high-dollar equipment. Not on my current enlisted paygrade.

16. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,327
    There is (or was....I haven't looked lately) one in Carlsbad. When I went in there about a year ago, there was no fishing tackle in that particular store whatsoever, in spite of the fact that they seemed to carry a bit of it on line.

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    that sucks my cousin said back east they have fishing stuff.

18. sonnybihis

sonnybihis Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    my two cents...i prefer the local shops too. you can get valuable info from the local shop owners than you can from those big stores. you might pay a little more for tackle at the local stores, but the info they give you is invaluable. plus if i'm looking for something in particular, my local shop (i like Barnacle Bill's) can get it. i just ask Bill and he usually does...

19. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    We have those out here as well, their selection is the worst. Its equivalent to what the average Sports Authority carries in San Diego.

20. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,020
    i'm against having those stores here. I don't mind driving an hour and some change to rancho every time they have the spring sale or something but their selection isn't the best. It's decent. I buy all my reels on ebay and rods used, a lot of the time from people on here. If i want to splurge on tackle i order from tackle warehouse. they blow bps away.