Bass Pro Shops/ Cabelas

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Micropterus salmoides, Jun 5, 2011.

1. halihunter

halihunter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Chain store's suck mom an pop shops rock!

2. creeker1

creeker1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Maybe I'm not in the majority here, but I support any big chain that might bring some new job opportunities into San Diego County. We have a high percentage of unemployment here. Those bigger stores employ a lot of people.

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,978
    I would love to work at a BPS or Cabela's if one opened up near me. The BPS at RC employs quite a few sales associates who don't seem to know very much about customer service or fishing tackle. They seem to be there just to collect a pay check. I always think that a place like that needs more people like me, who have been in the tackle industry for a while. :|

4. creeker1

Ratings:
    +35
    As a retail manager for more than 20 years, it always amazed me how basic courtesy and interpersonal skills were lacking in many people. I had to train people to greet and thank the customers! Some never got the hang of it and had to move on. The ones that learned and stayed helped us to lead our district in sales. There was a direct correlation between customer service scores and sales. Most of the more mature applicants understood this concept. I wonder if this is due to the amount of internet communication today? Everything gets abbreviated.

5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,978
    Sadly, I have found that employers don't seem to be looking for "mature" (old folks like myself) people, and the internet has replaced face to face hiring practices and skills, including these insane multiple choice psychological profilng tests that have replaced actual judgement skills. And from what I see in most stores, this hasn't done anything to help these retail establishments to get the kind of salespeople or managers that they desperately need.

6. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +146
    I like being near a big town, but would rather live in a small one. I enjoy patronizing my local stores, it's my small part as a member of my community. We support each other. Allowing a superstore may be good for creating jobs but it permanently changes the community because most of the employees will come from other towns, and the local stores suffer.
    I need to shop on line for some of my tackle, I just can't find a good selection of crappie stuff in San Diego. That works for me, I go online once or twice and buy bulk and I never need the super store

7. creeker1

Ratings:
    +35
    So maybe the bottom line is to get more people into hunting and fishing, and there will be enough customers to patronize all the stores. I for one spend equal amounts at big box, specialty, mom and pop, and online. My favorite mom and pop (Lakeside Bait and Tackle) goes out of it's way in customer service. Diane has ordered stuff for me that was comparable in price if not cheaper than Cabela's. Some people only shop big box out of convenience, others only mom and pop for service, selection, and knowledge. It's nice to have so many choices. I sure appreciate Walmart when my wife is going there for groceries and I can have her pick up a box of shotgun shells for my next morning's hunt.

8. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree. I think a good mixture is what any city needs. The population is very diverse, the shopping preferences are diverse, so the selection of places to buy our bait/bullets/tackle/outdoors equipment/fishing gear should be equally diverse.

9. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664

i worked for bass pro shops. You cant live off of what they pay you especially in California. They dont give health insurance and pay minimum wage. You can only move up by taking your bosses position. Not a good job but it was cool to work their and talk to people about fishing and you meet some amazing fisherman.

10. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    And its proven to shut down mom and pop stores. I worked with capt Mike who owns lakeside charters and owned the marina. Bass pro shops opened he went out of business and had to get a job with them. His store had been open for 34 years.

11. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,277
    Boat:
    Montauk
    I'm amazed at the lack of customer service in much of the retail environment. Many times it seems like you're almost bothering an employee when you ask for help or have a question. I don't know -- maybe it's a function of low wages/high employee turnover where the skills just aren't developed.

I did my time in retail with one job being largely commission based. As an employee you definitely had an incentive to "please" the customer and close the sale. It's interesting how effective things like eye contact, listening, a smile, product knowledge, developing a rapport, recommendation techniques, and up-selling (don't just be an order taker) can be in boosting the paycheck.

12. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,978
    You can bet that this is why "mom and pop" stores treat customers so well for the most part. They know where their paycheck is coming from, and it ain't from some corporate payroll clerk in another state.

13. creeker1

Ratings:
    +35
    You can't live off of what most available jobs pay in San Diego. But maybe two people living together could afford a crummy apartment and enough food to survive.

14. BluegillSlaughteter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +49
    a lot of my family lives up by modesto. When the bass pro opened up in manteca about 30min drive away it was amazing to see how everyone actually drove past the local shops, that were 5, 10 and 15min drive away, all the way to the bass pro shops 30min away. i think they were just awe struck at the amazing selection, the rows and rows of fishing tackle and gear, they had never seen anything like it. Like bugs to neon light!
    Oh and by the way, BPS is way better than Cabelas :p

15. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    yea cabelas is more of a hunting, firearms store.

16. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    and way more expensive. Like I posted earlier, it's for people in a higher tax bracket than myself.

17. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +575
    I have to disagree. I bought a reel at Lakeside B&T about two months ago, went back in a few weeks ago to get some tackle, and the vibe I got was very uncomfortable. The same person that sold me the reel seemed to watch/look at me with a look that said either "what the h*ll do you want?" or "you better not steal anything!" I'll be 30 in a few weeks, and im definitely not and dont look like a theif. I even talked with this person for a while when i purchased my reel, so this was totally unexpected. Wont be shopping there anymore. I guess there are + and - to each side. It just matters which side affects you more

18. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +157
    Lakeside B&T giving you evil eye? These guys are wonderful, and I am happy to stick up for them. They always give great service and as I shop in background, I see the same great service given to everyone who walks in, both noobs and bass pros. I couldn't disagree with you more.

19. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Funny I went to Bass Pro last week and only spent 25 bucks.Why because they did not have everything that I needed.I think the plastics walls at Anglers Marine has a way better selection of products that work in our local fishing holes were as Bass Pro is a cookie cutter establishment that caters to the whole country and what may work somewhere else in the country probably wont work here as far as baits are concerned.There Jigs are garbage and the only thing they have a good selection in is the Hardbaits.I Think Tacklewarehouse.com has a better instock position than local shops as well as BPS.We are in the Internet age and Online retailers are becoming the way of of the world.Just wait till the Smart phone Technoligy really takes off.Amazon.com will be the big box in all facets of retail.
    Just think with new techological advances were you just scan a product and can price compare right there in a store and get a price listing of other retailers.Its here some just need to adapt to the future fast.Sink or swim....

As far as customer service is concerned only a few of local shops come to mind.Anglers Arsenal has great customer service as well as Fishermans Outpost.Both places have impressed me when I lived down south.Now that I live up in North County Pats Bait and tackle in Oceanside also treats there customers well.The rest of the Shops I wont bother stepping into for personal reasons that I have stated in the past that does not sit well with some Individuals who post on here.Not to sound Arrogant but I really dont need customer service to find out what works best to catch fish.Same with going to a Hardware store!If I need to cut a peace of wood or drill a hole I can do it Because I learned how to do so years ago in Middle School:)Some people need to be held by the hand I guess.Lots of things in both type of enviormnets do not require College educations.Never went to college to learn how to fish,fix a leaky Faucet or change the oil in my car etc.
    But yes BPS sucks and so does Cabelas but once in a while when they have clearance products you can get a good deal that you wont find anywhere else.

20. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,393
    I wouldn't want a BPS of Cabelas here in San Diego either. Those places are cool to go into and look around but the novelty of looking at a big fish tank and walls full of stuffed animals ware out really quick. Even though I don't spend much money in the local shops anymore I still like having them around just in case I do need/want something really bad.