Bass Pro Shops/ Cabelas

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Micropterus salmoides, Jun 5, 2011.

1. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +575
    [/quote]

Lakeside B&T giving you evil eye? These guys are wonderful, and I am happy to stick up for them. They always give great service and as I shop in background, I see the same great service given to everyone who walks in, both noobs and bass pros. I couldn't disagree with you more.[/quote]

thats amazing I wasn't aware that it is possible to disagree with someone's personal experience. I know what happened while I was in the store, and unless you were the one other person shopping there at that time, on the opposite side of the store near the salt stuff, then I couldn't disagree with you more. Its nice of you to come riding in on a white horse because you know the people and spend all your money there. Good for you, keep spending it there. You won't be bumping into me on the way in or out so have fun. You must spend alot of time in the store to have personal knowledge of every customer they encounter. They're lucky to have such a loyal customer :roll:

2. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +575
    I'm willing to bet you think the guy across the street from them is a nice guy as well. What a joke

3. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +157
    I suppose you are right. I have no ability to invalidate your experience. Instead I should have just posted my personal experiences and left it at that.

4. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    Fisherman's outpost has the best customer service hands down. Ive been to just about all of them now and had alright service, it seemed like i bothered that bill guy when i asked him a couple questions at his shop but i think that's his personality.lol

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    You won't find two nicer people than Frank and Jeannie Pasalich of Fisherman's Outpost. They're tremendous people!

I have gotten to know a lot of the tackle store owners and managers in town, so I can't really use my personal experiences with them to gauge their service to others, but Anglers Marine, Anglers Arsenal, and Barnacle Bills all seem to treat their customers really well.

I had a similar experience at Lakeside Bait & Tackle as the poster above where it felt like they were thinking I was going to steal something from them. I didn't really take offense though, the area where they're located isn't the best in the county and I'm sure they have a very real problem with shoplifting.

When I worked for Aim Marine we had regular incidents in our tackle store where people would take things. Our tackle manager Larry Henson was great though at preventing it by just making individual (and friendly) contact with anyone who walked in the doors. The surveillance monitors were in my office though, and I saw more than a few suspicious things. We did catch one guy who was loading up his sweat pants with power bait, and he was a full grown man.

6. Baja Belk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    Was getting the tires on my trailer replaced Saturday and the guy at Express Tire told me Bass Pro Shops was opening a store in Santee. I looked at him kind of funny, but he was adamant. He even told me exactly where it was going in (by the Enterprise lot off Mission Gorge and Cottonwood. I don't think he knew what he was talking about, so out comes Google, and this OLD thread pops up. I guess it's worth resurrecting to ask if anyone has heard about BPS in Santee. I know they have looked at San Diego, but Santee seems an odd market.

7. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    The guy working in the Vegas one told me in February, they were looking at 2 locations on Miramar Road due to space and ability to access multiple freeways. He said the main thing is EPA permits and what not.

8. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,773

DITTO

9. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,225
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    My 3 cents worth is stay home and buy local. Yes every now and then it's fine to shop from the big guys, but you get much better experiences from local tackle stores.
    ECBT is the store I'm mostly at now. Gene and the guys/gals (they have a couple there) are good folks. They know what is and not working, and have just about every hot lure out on the market for freshwater bass fishing and a real nice selection of your favorite rods and reels.
    Best of all they are close and open everyday and even have live bait for those that like using it.
    Keep your money here and support the locals, many good stores up and down the county.

10. Baja Belk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    Here's my take. I shop small business and local whenever I can. I prefer to. I manage a small business and I go up against (and beat) the big-box guys all the time. I also am a sucker for the sensory-overload experience that comes with walking into Outdoor World in Rancho Cuc. My in-laws live in San Bernardino 15 minutes away, and they are VIPs at Bass Pro, as am I. Probably 6 times a year we go up for the weekend for one of the many Preferred Member's nights. Free food, raffle prizes (which we have won numerous times), and bonus points. The points are another thing. I have a BPS credit card (one of only two credit cards I own). Over the years, I have racked up about $300 worth of points. I also hoard gift cards every Christmas, to the point where I am sitting on about $600 to be able to purchase a new gun completely free. That's pretty cool. I usually end up buying maybe $40 or less of stuff whenever I go. Sometimes I need camping gear, and fishing gear, and a part for my boat, and my wife leaves with a new stylish tank top. Nice to be a one-stop-shopping experience.

I have also shopped locally and made purchases from Angler's Choice, Angler's Marine, Fisherman's Outpost, Barnacle Bills, Turners, Charkbait, Squidco etc. I usually buy my MX permits from Fisherman's Landing. My boat is serviced by Aquarius off Morena. Unfortunately I have not had such a fantastic experience at any of them to have locked me down as a "regular". I really wish they had. I yearn to have one local store I go to for any and everything, every time, where I am on a first name basis with the owner.

The guys at Squidco are super nice but the store is way too cramped and they didn't do a great job servicing my reels. Fisherman's Outpost is gone. The former Angler's Marine spinoff by Cafe 67 is gone (along with the service record for my old boat that I really needed). Fisherman's Landing is crazy expensive. The guys at Turner's don't know crap about fishing (except the old guy that will talk to you for 3 hours). I have had terrible customer service at Angler's Choice multiple times and will never go back (guy went in the back to look for a rod they had told me over the phone was in stock - 30 minutes later I find out that the guy was off and went home and they didn't actually have that rod). Not to sound like a pretentious jerk but you see where I'm going with this. I have heard good things about Lakeside B&T and ECBT, but I do mostly saltwater fishing, so I'm not sure they would have what I need (I could be wrong). I miss the old Hook Line and Sinker shop in Point Loma - they were awesome.

In a nutshell, I am still trying to find that one shop I can keep going back to. It seems like local shops here struggle to stay open regardless of whether there is a giant like BPS in town. Part of me feels like the majority of patronage at small mom and pops are loyal customers who won't leave for BPS anyway. I think BPS's main chunk of market share will be the people who are currently buying tackle at Wal-Mart and Big5. Also, they will get alot of business from Mexico (probably why they are interested in San Diego - or at least why they should be). I like to support the small guys and I like the local intel you can get. I will still shop locally when the situation or need arises If BPS came to town, I would definitely hope that they don't kill the local guys - but I have to admit I would be there for every member's event.

That's my take.