Bass Pro Shops & Cabela's

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Jigginjaws, May 22, 2014.

1. Jigginjaws

Jigginjaws Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Hey everyone...

I have lived in SD for over 35 years and probably fishing here for atleast half that time. As time goes on and wanting to go to your local Sports Challet or Dicks etc... its pretty much the same ol - same ol selection. I dont understand why there are no really cool Fishing stores here like "Bass Pro Shops" and 'Cabela's"! It makes no sense that here in So Cal we are always kicking out top World record Bass being caught here.

So why no love from these companies here in So Cal? So I guess I'll continute to buy there products via magazine or online. But it sure would be nice to walk in there and actually look and the feel the products instead.

Thanks!

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    Eh, careful what you wish for. I live in North Texas now, and I have both a Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops within 30 minutes of me. I rarely go, and if I do go, its not to buy fishing gear. Their selections are good, but its all the real mainstream stuff.

What is so great about San Diego is all of the small tackle stores with specialty selections of stuff you're not going to find on the wall at Sport Chalet or even Bass Pro Shops.

Southern California has some of the best tackle stores in the world.

East County Bait and Tackle, Lakeside Bait and Tackle, Anglers Choice are all great! I'd trade Bass Pro and Cabelas for one of those in a heartbeat. Anglers Marine up in Anaheim might be one of the best stocked bass tackle stores in the entire US, and probably has more quality bass tackle than even a Bass Pro Shops.

I miss two things about Southern California; taco shops and tackle stores.

And if you're really itching for a Bass Pro, there is one in SoCal. Its up in Rancho Cucamonga though.

3. Jigginjaws

Ratings:
    +89
    Hmm...well you do have a point about the "Taco Shops" :) but still would be nice to have that other option as well. And Rancho Cucamonga is a good 2+ hrs away.
    Oh well...Ill continue with the online ordering.

Thanks for the Reply

4. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +681
    I try to buy most of my gear from local shops but when the price just doesn't make since and I do buy on the internet, my first choice is Tacklewarehouse.com! Better selection and free overnight shipping on orders of $50+!!!! (other than being a satisfied customer, I have zero affiliation with TW)

Now, about those tacos....

5. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    BPS up in Rancho Cucamonga is a cool store to visit but they charge mostly retail for their items. I don't mind paying a little more to help support the mom and pop tackle shops in SD.

6. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +700
    Plus one on what the guys in the previous posts said. While I do order gear online from time to time because of the vast selection, I always try and support my local tackle shops. Some of them are outstanding and the personal customer service and local knowledge you get is priceless.

7. C0MRAD

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +570
    I think we need Tackle Warehouse to open a store in socal.

8. slillywhite

slillywhite Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I used to live up in San Luis Obispo where Tackle Warehouse is located and it was amazing. they have a retail store the size of East County Bait and Tackle, but anything they didn't have on the floor, you could just ask and have brought out. it was infinite tackle at your finger tips.

9. ryan2421

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +92
    I've been to the bass pro shop in Vegas and while it is cool to look at the huge tank and tons of variety of stuff, I would definitely choose the service and information that the local shops help out with. It feels like every time I go to ECBT or barnicle bills, I'm there longer than planned just talkin to the people that work there. They are not shy about tips, what's hot, etc. they are a hotline of what's working locally. There was no such service at the BPS.

And having a BPS or Cabelas locally would likely mean the end of the local shops in SD.

My $0.02

10. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I love all our local tackle stores and support them, I also understand the price difference between online and in house. No tax out of state, no shipping on $50 plus, so it makes sense. There is also another online place called Wlure.com. It has to be where every lure is made in China. Not many people know this however no one owns the factories in China, they lease them and then they in turn move from factory to factory depending on what their costs are to make the lure and then supply it to say Rebel or StrikeKing. Anyways this place has lures for pennies compared to even Walmart. My son purchased 2 six inch hard swim baits all jointed that are really high quality. They were 5 dollars each. Don't know where this website came from, they have everything.

11. fxbobby

fxbobby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I prefer to support Lakeside Sporting Goods and have for many years now! They have a great selection of baits that work locally and offer other services such as rod repair and warranty service. Support your local stores or you might just only have a few generic stores to pick from.

12. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +158
    Re: Bass Pro Shops & Cabela's

Lakeside sporting goods? Where's that?

13. DonSeedless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57
    you read my mind..i thought i had been to ever darn one in lakeside..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

14. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Right in the middle of Lakeside on Woodside Ave. There was taco Smell right nect to it. Not sure if that is still there though and Dairy Queen is across the street from it.

15. Jigginjaws

Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks Linebig!...that Wlure site is awesome :)

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,312
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pretty sure he meant Lakeside Bait and Tackle. The one that has been there forever. Great consignment rack.

17. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    i worked for bass pro in indiana right when it opened up. Tons of tackle shops that had been open for decades couldnt compete and had to close their doors. Then a cabelas opened next door and shut out even most of the local gun stores. Capt mike a close friend of mine closed shop after 40 years. It does alot of damage to small shops hands down just like walmart.

18. goseango

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    Last chance by dvl as good as it gets. Price very competitive with tackle wharehouse.

19. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    Same as Lakeside Bait and Tackle. It used to be called Lakeside Sporting Goods, so a lot of the old timers still prefer to call it that.

20. powaywormslinger

powaywormslinger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    IMO: Bass Pro / Cabelas are nice for killing time and buying stuff you didn't need. You can get a camo shirt, camo easy chairs, ammo, and some lousy duck dynasty swag for your hillbilly buddy. What you don't get is customer service, and in-depth product knowledge. Like others have pointed out, you get mainstream products, nothing specialized to our local fisheries. Asking for a Bass Pro or Cabelas is like asking for a Walmart. They'll just starve our locally owned tackle shops. Just a tip, some of the local shops have started price matching tackle warehouse when they can. I will gladly pay a little extra money for the excellent customer service, and tips you get from shopping at shops like East County Bait and Tackle.