Bassmaster mag hasn't change in all these years.

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by spoonminnow, Sep 1, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    I don't even know why I bother opening up the magazine dedicated to boating and fishing for bass. The latest issue as usual quoted pro anglers' use of specific lures to win big $$$ tournaments or as examples of lures used for different presentations. They make it seem that those lures are successful no matter the water or time of year. One article did however catch my eye containing two thought why fish bite lures:
    reaction/ reflexive strikes and goading fish to strike.

I've posted many photos of fish of all species and the lures used to catch them. Sure, like many of you I've burned baits through the water to cover more of it. But after so many years of catching less fish per a larger number of casts, slowing down and concentrating casts in different areas produced more fish per outing. In order to accomplish, that I keep in mind those two ideas: reaction/ reflex strikes and goading fish to strike. As far as I'm concerned, fish react to what we cast either reflexively or take longer to be goaded into striking something they have no idea what it is.

To this day it amazes me the lure correlations to live animals in various articles designed to convince those that when or even if bass are feeding on those animals, the lures should match - which of course few do in reality either because may not be feeding or that lures look nor move like nothing that ever lived. Even very realistic looking lures rarely stay on the market very long regardless the presentation.

In the last few years, I keep coming up with new designs that produce the same standard actions lures have been known to produce for for decades. Flutter, wobble, sparkle / flash, darting, slow or fast fall and others have accounted for millions of fish caught basically because those actions goad fish into striking - at least most of the time. Reflex strikes happen the least in my book and usually when a school is or gets turned on. You could cast a pencil and they'd bite it.

Bassmaster won't change - they can't. Someone's gotta draw the suckers in to bite and therefore buy products in order to pay the bills. Don't know why I even bother to scan the pages before chucking it in the trash.

#1 spoonminnow, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,116
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Used to get BassMasters and Field and Stream as a kid. Watched Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin and a Bill Dance on Saturday mornings. Although entertaining, not sure how much better a fisherman I became because of it. The pros are definitely salesmen, whether they admit it or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    I do kinda have more respect for Rick Clunn than most of the pros...Maybe because he's not much of a saleman.

4. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,205
    I’m always rooting for him ...

5. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    The major income for the top pro fishermen is their monthly check from their factory sponsors. You can bet they will never talk about any other lure, sonar, boat, etc. in public but when they are fishing a tournament all bets are off and they use the products they believe catch the most fish for them.

Many of the top bass pros used to have their wives order product from me. Sometimes they would call me direct and have me overnight them a certain bait and color. That’s when you knew your bait was working and if they did well I might get a personal phone call and “thank you” but they would never talk about it in public.

When Guido Hibdon was at the peak of his career I was in the Springfield, MO Bass Pro Shop and found Mrs. Hibdon loading up with my grubs although he was sponsored by another soft plastic lure company. She was kind of embarrassed when she saw me.

Charlie Ingram, I thought, had the best fishing shows. He took a lot of time explain why different baits are used in different circumstances, how to tie knots and a myriad of others tips that I felt was very informative to fishermen. I never could afford to become one of his sponsors but we remained good friends for many years.