Battery chargers?

Discussion in 'Boating & Boat Maintenance' started by MaxZmus, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I need a recommendation on a charger/maintainer for my Walmart 29DC marine battery. What do you guys use that serves its purpose and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

2. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,098
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    At the very least look only at a smart charger. These will make your battery feel fresh and newborn for a long time. Also, the best choice for either a flooded lead acid battery (won't boil away your liquid) or an AGM battery (typically will have a setting for AGM charge profile).

Then consider amps; how much do you discharge the battery (troll a lot?), and then how fast do you need it to be recharged? (2 hrs? Overnight?).

And do you have an outlet and extension cord to handle the amps? Especially if you think you might need someday to add more batteries, and you might get a multi-bank charger now?

How waterproof do you need it to be? And how big can you go in your mounting location? The more robust, better-potted chargers tend to be bigger...

Finally, what's your budget?

3. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,411
    IMG_1069.JPG

This is what I have. I just use it for my 40lbs thrust minn Kota transom mount. I'll only be using it 5-6 times a year on the local lake rentals. I don't want to spend more than $50-60 on the charger.

4. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,411
    IMG_1070.JPG I already have this charger but I wasn't sure if it's sufficient. Any thoughts?
    IMG_1072.JPG

5. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,098
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Ah, so it sounds like you're not looking for an onboard charger, nor anything super-quick. So no need to be waterproof, and probably only need something in the 3-5 amp range.

There must be a such thing as portable smart chargers...maybe look at offerings from Noco.

EDIT: You posted your charger before I finished the above. Don't see why that wouldn't work, so long as you aren't in any hurry to charge--like maybe 1.5 to 2 full days if deeply discharged. Looks like a smart charger with a fairly full feature set (at least for flooded lead acid), like automatic maintain mode and de-sulfation mode, etc.:
    http://www.batterychargers.com/content/pdf/00-99-001034-0310.pdf

#5 agrazela, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  6. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Thanks for your input. I guess I'll stick to what I have. :emoji_ok_hand:

7. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,030
    That will work fin max. But it will take awhile.

8. Low&Slow

Low&Slow Hate us cuz they anus..
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +497
    So this might seem like a dumb question but can I use my harbor freight jump box to charge a deep cycle battery???

#8 Low&Slow, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  9. chris cox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    I have the noco genius 3500 smart charger, I love that thing. It's small, about the size of a power strip. Use it to charge my deep cycle battery for my trolling motor, but also used it to charge up car batteries that went dead on me and couldn't be jumped. 60 bucks on Amazon and worth every penny.