Bay of LA!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by WHEREtheFISHare86, Oct 14, 2019.

1. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +160
    Hi guys,
    Heading down to bay of LA for my first time next week. Staying at campo Archelon.
    Any recommendations of fly gear to have down there, as well as flies? I think I will prob bring a 7, 9, and 11wt. Sink tip, and 300, and 400gr lines. I will don the conventional deal as well.

2. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,948
    The gear you list should cover most situations you will encounter. I would have a floating and intermediate line also, or at least an intermediate. Then you will be able to cover topwater situations and shallow water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +160
    Thank you!

4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,948
    For greatest versatility I would put the floating and intermediate lines on the 9wt so you can cast larger wind resistant topwater flies like crease flies and poppers easier than you can with the 7wt.

You can get by with just an intermediate. I often fish topwater with an intermediate line in the saltwater. Fly will stay on top as long a you keep retrieving, through it may eventually be pulled under, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If its windy the Intermediate line will cast in the wind better than a thicker floating line.

5. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Most of my Baja fly fishing is further south but I think I can offer a couple suggestions that might be helpful:

1. Bring fly fishing gloves - specifically the kind with leather palms and leather over your index and second finger. Every time I'm down there and into fish - I've developed stripping burns on my fingers and, this last trip where we got into some really nice dorado, yellowtail, skipjack and bonito on the fly, palming the reel to slow down a hot fish was done all the time - for that you need something to protect your palm. If you don't have gloves, bring some of that athletic tape that's really sticky to wrap your fingers with.

2. If you get into dorado - I've found that you almost can't strip the fly fast enough. In fact, when they've been going nuts at the boat (pangero throwing lots of chum) we'd cast only about 15 feet or so and then just whip the road sideways so that the fly would dart away super fast. The dorado liked the fast fly.

3. If it's not too late, bring some blue over white and green/chartreuse over white poppers. In my experience, if the dorado won't take a sardina fly, pick up your rod that's rigged with a popper and try that. We picked up four really nice dorado on poppers.

4. Look up the sardina fly, this is my "start the day", go to fly for fishing warm southern Baja - if you can't find it, tie SF Blend dark green over white (more white in the body than green) with just a few strands of black krystal flash dorsal - and nice sized eyes. Go with a 2/0 or 3/0 Gammakatsu B10s - of course size depends on what the size the bait is at the moment but I found on this last trip (a week ago) that 3-4" sardina flies worked well.

5. I caught three small 5 - 8lb yellowtail (jurelito) on the fly rod this last trip. Here's the method we used: we would troll a rapala behind the boat in known yellowtail water, when that got hit, the pangero would reel it to the boat but leave the fish on. Other yellowtail would follow it to the boat where I'd cast sardina flies to the followers. AWESOME FUN! If you get even a small yellowtail on your fly rod you're going to have your mind blown.

6. If you're casting into rocks for pargo or cabrilla, I've found that yellow over white, chartreuse over white, gray over white, all white and, my favorite, tan over white clousers work well. I like to tie them with both red dumbell eyes and chartreuse dumbell eyes. I tie them in 1/0 with those same, sticky, Gammakatsu hooks.

7. Don't be afraid to troll sardina flies. It may not be exactly fly fishing, but it does get fish. When trolling flies, I like to attach a long, sinking leader to my fly line (airflo makes some good "Salmon" weight ones with loop to loop connections) and then add about three feet of 20-30lb fluoro leader.

Here's a good dorado I got two weeks ago off of Isla Cerralvo:
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 10.36.03 PM.png
    If you have any questions... fire away.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    That's some great info John. You had one hell of a fishin year. Congrat's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I know you will have a great time.

8. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Good to hear from you Steve - congrats on the "fish anytime I want or do what I damn well please" pass that you just got....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Ucsdsu

Ucsdsu Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    See you there! I'm heading that way the 20-24th

10. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Have fun. It’s a magical place as one hippy from LA told me. She was dancing on the beach at camp gecko, at midnight. High on something. She was right though it’s a magical place. Best moon rise I’ve seen anywhere. Great fishin and if you have the nads. I didn’t. Jump in the water with a whale shark but please be respectful of there space. Spent many trips there back in the day. Loved it.

11. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +160
    Thank you for all the info, and wish me luck!!