Bay or Ocean?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by dirtydeeds, Sep 13, 2015.

1. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    1992 maxum
    Keith here, I'm brand new to fishing and to owning a boat. My 4 year old son absolutely loves fishing so I was 'forced' to buy a boat. And lobster fishing looks really fun!!

My main question: Is the lobster fishing better in the bay or kelp beds off Point Loma/ La Jolla?

My biggest concern in the bay is eating something that has lived on the floor of the Bay, with San Diego being what I would imagine as the most polluted, and Mission Bay being a close second (at least it's just polluted with run off and not the shipyards)

2. filippo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2016
    Haha nope.

I've only done lobster fishing while scuba diving at night. Never "fished" for it. Point loma is a great spot. LJ too. Those bugs love to hide in rocks between 40-60 feet. We've dived from shore and found lobsters too but nothing compared to PL or any other rocky area outside the bay. I wouldn't eat anything caught in the bay unless it's something that covers a lot of ground constantly like a halibut.

3. gordon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +310
    I've seen bouys attached to traps off mission beach, good amount of them. when u get on the new seaforth and it heads for la jolla from quivara basin/mission bay you always see at least a few. based on that alone id drop some there then go fishing by the kelp for the day and pick up the traps on the way back

4. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,263
    You can not use traps unless you have a commercial lobster license. You can only use your hand or a hoop net. Those require constant checking. Eating bay lobster are fine, try in front of shelter island or the jetty. It takes more practice and modifications to the hoop net to target the deeper structure outside of the bays. Good luck. Go eat bugs.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    1992 maxum
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm almost ready. I built a rack to hold some led off road light bars. Got a crew lined up. Gonna do this thing Saturday!!!!

image.jpg

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    1992 maxum
    304ss exhaust tuning. Mig welded with 308lsi wire and tri mix gas. Will never rust. The bracing is a little flimsy. Just 1/2" round bar. Gonna slip tubing over it to keep it from flip floppin.

I have a bait tank in the works. Cooler. And lights all go on boat Saturday morning. Hoping to launch Saturday afternnon early to stake claim:)

Decided to fish the mouth of the bay.