Bay sharks and rays gear.

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Fishtricks, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,974
    Everytime I read this board and see what people are using for bay gear. I bang my head against the wall. Your gear is WAY WAY WAY too big. You're costing yourself tons of fish. Sharks and rays aren't that stupid.They don't like heavy gear just like any other fish. I've been doing this longer than anyone. I've caught more big sharks and rays in the bays than anyone. I've put way more novice anglers on sharks and rays than anyone. The big gear NEVER gets as many fish as the lighter gear. Not even close. I've seen it 1000 times.

Standard mustad hook(sharpened) about the size that a Sharpie would fit into.
    3-4' 30lb mono leader.
    12-20lb main line, plenty of line capacity reel.
    swivel and egg sinker less than 1oz(the less the better)preferably no weight

Carpkiller and I have caught many world class leopards together and have spent many hours sharkin. At one point he bumped his leader up to 40lb and started using slightly larger circle hook. Since he's done that he hasn't outfished me or even matched me once.

It makes a big difference. I'm just trying to help you. Have fun.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,974
    This is my dogs face when she reads about your gear choices.
    010.JPG

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +24,284
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    LOL! I thought you were responding to someone. I agree, we have caught a bunch on 15# Mono. Never caught any monster Bats, though. Heard of people being completely spooled.

Looks like you doggy is tired from vacuuming!

4. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,987
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Hmmmmmm I kinda disagree here lol. I mean it definitely helps to use lighter gear IF the fish are line shy, but I’ve come to the conclusion that most bay fish aren’t that line shy. At least that’s based on my experience. A couple years ago when I was using set ups that make me cringe today, I used to catch a ton of bonefish on a straight braid drop shot setup with small pieces of frozen Walmart shrimp. I caught my biggest bonefish on 65lb braid with one of those cheap shark rigs you buy at Walmart with a 3 ounce Piramid sinker, a huge J hook, and a frozen chunk of mack at pepper park. Guys would always tell me that you gotta use super light line, small hooks, and ghost shrimp to catch them. I’ve caught most of my corvina on a Carolina rig with a 1-3 ounce sinker and 50 and 80 lb mono with a 4/0 circle hook on fresh mack chunks and dead sardines. My only legal halibut was caught on a chunk of mackerel using 50 lb mono and a 2/0 circle hook. My brother has caught quite a few leopards and even a soupfin from the bay using 5 ounce weights at Harbor Island with 80 lb mono and a 6/0 circle hook. The guys that fish in the surf who catch leopards and soupfins insist on using wire leaders with massive circle hooks. Etc....

Bottom line is in my opinion, the fish in our bays are opportunistic creatures. If they find something to eat, they will eat lol. I just have a hard time believing a shark or a ray is going to not approach a bait because the gear is too heavy. Now when they actually take the bait, they will feel the larger hook and heavy sinkers, but by that time the circle hook should’ve done its job and it’s too late for the fish. Also I’ve had a large leopard bite through my 50 lb mono at the NE side of Fiesta Island. Biggest heartbreak of my life lol. Got the shark right up to the shore and then snap! I’ve had massive bat rays BEND my smaller circle hooks.

Also one ounce of weight!? I mean unless you’re fishing De Anza Cove, I’m not sure how you are able to keep your bait from getting swept away lol. At the ferry landing my 3 ounce sliding sinker gets gets swept away.

In my opinion, using 40-50 lb braid as main line with at least a 50 lb mono leader and no smaller than a 4/0 circle hook. Now I know I’m just that college kid who just posts pics of smoothhounds and rays, but this is just what I think is the best way to catch the biggest critters in our bays.

Better to be safe than sorry...

5. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,974
    You can fish however you want. I'm just trying to help people.

Every friend of my wife, kids, relatives, roommates, boyfriends, etc. Has caught giant leopard with me. 10 times bigger than yours and they don't even know how to fish.

just sayin

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,987
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    No I get it. I’m glad that you are helping people. It’s good to have fisherman that do that. However, We don’t gotta start throwin shade with the shark sizes lol. I’ve seen a lot of the leopard sharks you catch, and you are primarily fishing from a boat. It sure makes it a lot easier to catch leopards when you can access the flats south of the Coronado bridge.

just sayin

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Different water different tactics.
    I have caught leopards on wire leader and on 60 lb test leader...which gets fewer pickups than Scott's lighter leaders. But I have also had a couple fish chew through 40 lb leader.
    I have used circle hooks sometimes....a couple dozen pickups and not one has ever "done its job." I suspect smaller fish never get the hook in their mouths....and the larger ones end up guthooked anyway. Bonefish, guitarfish, leopards and rays. Not one ever hooked in the corner of its mouth...so i am kinda over the circle hook thing.
    Like they say...results may vary.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,987
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Hmmm interesting the circle hooks almost always work for me. I agree though, different people different results.

9. barepixels

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    John
    Boat:
    No access to one
    Where are you fishing at with 1 ounce weight? Often at shelter island pier 4 ounce is barely enough because of the current

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,987
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    I’m assuming since he is mostly fishing from a boat, he probably just has his bait drift with the tide. Which is actually a really good technique, but can only be done from a boat. If I could use lighter weight from shore, I’d definitely be using 1 ounce sinkers. #shorefishermanstruggles lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. barepixels

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    John
    Boat:
    No access to one
    Would save money if I can use with just 1 ounce. But reality is I would tangle with every macs fishermen on the pier

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,987
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Haha I know. I’ve seen people fish that pier with just swivels as weights lol smh

13. barepixels

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,756
    Name:
    John
    Boat:
    No access to one
    Well the macs are top water. Floater or glow sticks with about 3 foot leader and a small split shot about a foot from the hook.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,400
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    Biting my tongue, a 50 to 60 inch bat on those setups not gonna happen just saying a 175lb bat will destroy it I know first hand

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,387
    I like my long rods and 50 line with big akis sorry Scott love you still

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,400
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    Amen to that

17. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,974
    It's a free country, you can fish wrong all you want. You're not costing me anything.

FTR; I spent many years soaking bait from shore before I had a boat. You either have to position yourself strategically, or constantly walk your bait with the tide.

Unless your goal is to throw a bait out and not do anything for 3 hours, well then.... it's a free country, you can fish wrong if you want.

If you have a license, get off the pier.

18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52,620
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fish that wimpy gear where I fish and you will straight up get spooled or broken off every time, no boat is ever going to get in there either unless the water is flatter than my 7th grade girlfriend... I mean, whatever is fun I guess... I prefer opaleye anyway...

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,987
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Lol you always know what to say Coach!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52,620
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I like to keep things in perspective. And I like to use ten ounces of steel on a breakaway when I fish sharks, too.. shrug.. opaleye are better eating than any shark I have ever had anyway...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List