Bed baits

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Fishtricks, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,423
    So we all have our Big Moe baits and our special super ultra secret tricks that that no big female bass can resist.

But what is your go to lure for making quick work of the little males? I used to be sold on the 3" Power grub white with red head. That was my favorite for years. Then I started teaming it up with little white Madman craw w/red head and I would switch them up.

Nowadays my favorite is the Yamamoto Spider 4" Glow w/orange head. I've got a really nice arsenal for bed fishing, but on the little ones nothing beats that glow spider. I'm telling you!!

I threw into a bed that I couldn't really see this morning, and I got distracted for a second. When I looked back up my line had swam about 15', so I swing and sure enough there was a fish on the other end. This little bass had totally swallowed my spider, I wasn't even using scent on it.

2. Hook1fred

Hook1fred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Red Ranger
    I always have a matt lures bluegill, and a dropshot tied on during spawn. The males will normally fall for the dropshot pretty quick....all I can say is they absolutely hate that matt lures BG in their beds

3. warren

warren Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    white 1/4 to 1/2 ounce darter head with a 3-31/2 in white peper yamamoto curl tail

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Flying Lure back in the day...LOL. Right now, i'm trying a creature bait made by Yum...the "wooly hawgtail". I'm toss'n it on a stand-up jig. I'll let you all know how it works.

5. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    I personally use my own poured baits pictured below

I usually use a pegged bullet weight or jig head so I can drop it right in the middle of the nest, WHAM! I get hooked up. [​IMG]

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i throw jigs,dropshot, and matt lures bluegill/red ear

7. hookfynn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +30
    MALES - white assault hand tied finesse jig {discontinued... you which one warren} w/ twin tail white tailer. white strike king mini tube- white w/ black flake.

FEMALES - white pepper custom baits flip'n jig w/ yum white craw trailer. white western plastics craw w/ red claws and rattle. matt lures bluegill.

8. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,184
    I havent done it a lot but the spider jig is my favorite..the live dads get scared and hop away

9. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    I like a bubblegum Senko with the tail shredded like a tube. I also like a pink Strike King Zero on a jig head. The tail of the Zero floats straight up and the slightest rod movement makes that tail quiver and it acts like a fish rooting around the bed. It usually doesn't take long to irk the males with this bait.

10. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    Can't beat a zoom crawl trailer on a darter head. works great for the smaller males, but the big girls wants Matt's bluegill or a big Cannon tube. Just experiment with colors and size. We have noticed a lot more of the bigger females want colors other than white. I can't give you my go to color right yet, but stay tuned.

John

11. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,423
    The Mattgilly is a given.

12. hawaiianstyle

hawaiianstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Whats up tricks? I usaully throw an 8 inch plastic waterdog for the big females, and a yamamoto spider jig at the males

13. Nerdy

Nerdy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31
    A small trout tube setup is my absolute favorite for the smaller males. A light weight allows you to really irk a bass that just swims away while a heavier head will just drop it to the bed.

14. Mattlures

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +45
    If I was specificaly targeting the males, like I was in a tournament and running out of time. The most proficiant way I have found is to attack them with my gill for about 5 casts or so or sooner if you can tell he is already fired up then I pitch in a small heavy visible bait. Heavy so it gets to the bed quickly and you can work it more agresivly. Small so when he has it, HE HAS IT and visible is obvious. It doesnt have to be white, black can be prety visable to.
    I do not like worms or lizzards or any other LONG type baits because you are just waisting time until he finaly grabs the right part of the bait. Now If I have to resort to just fun fishing a beding male, I make a sport out of it. I will try stupid baits and try and get him. Try a topwater. Now thats usualy tough even if he is all fired up.

15. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    Matt is right, often you'll see the fish grab the middle of the bait, and then hook isn't in the middle, unless you tie a stinger hook on.

16. hookfynn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +30
    matt has a point. i like to use a black colored lure when the bottom is very light colored and the water is very clear in bright conditions.

17. Bill Brown Jr.

Bill Brown Jr. Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Matt Lures Bluegill is a must have for those big females, but I still have not found anything that provokes a small male to attack better that the Madman craw is white pepper. I dip the claws in chartruese and it is all go.

18. EdHart619

EdHart619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i like a white jig with the back part of a white lizzard for a trailer.

a dropshot with a short leader and a small minnow bait like the tiny fluke.

or a power craw on a 1/4 jig head