Been forever since I posted but felt the need to...

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Yump, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111
    So was fishing pepper park by the sweetwater channel. Caught a few spotted bay bass and was honestly looking for a bean or something fun of that nature. Was testing out my new uribe m2 rod. Was honestly enjoying the rod to the fullest! Then there comes some dingy boater... he asked if I was fishing the inlet. I had ansewerd him with a yes sir and loving my new rod (first outing with the rod too) guy proceeds to tell me I cant fish here cause its protected. I told him I've never had a problem with fish and game when they have checked my license. Well all of a sudden dude comes closer and closer to shore with his dingy... it got to a point where I was like what the heck is this guy doing. Next thing you know I'm fighting a decent fish and dude literally is on some fking power trip and comes like 8 feet from the rocks I'm standing on. Next thing you know his motor grabs my line and starts to spool me. Looking back at it Somehow I feel like it was his plan from the beginning for being such a ******!! Went to try and cut my line and while in full on panic mode grabbed my surgical style pliers instead of my scissors so instead of cutting my braided line it clamped on ‍♂️ ripped 3 of my guides off before the line broke and the tip of my rod from dude trying to pull away hella fast. Dude seriously swooped back around and asking if I snagged anything when he saw me cussing him out. Like come on dude... is that really a thing people do? Figured I would share the messed up reality we live in these days for shore fishers. Also if guys on sd fish all I ask is you get a life bro and hassle some poacher or a snagger. All my stuff was legit no need to harass people and then be a dick about it. Idk vent over thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Lastly is it illegal to fish there never had a problem and I was by the boat launch on the right side of the marina.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,381
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    As near as I can tell, it is a legal fishing spot... Always be careful with braid... That could have been a finger or hand removal incident instead of some rod damage... And yes, people are idiots

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111
    What's up coach hope all is well brotha! Yeah no joke I was trying to be as cautious as possible. All in all might make the switch to a nice mono or some fluorocarbon line after this incident. Still boggles me that someone would intentionally try and do something so harsh to anyone just enjoying a day after work.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,381
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    People are dumb as hell.. forget this at your own risk. One reason of many I tell people to use mono. Next time, point the rod right at the moron, lighten up the drag and let him suck in the whole spool. Make sure you have a good grip on the reel so when it hits the knot, it does not rip the reel off the rod and then suck it down, ripping all your guides off along the way as your reel meets his prop, instead, popping the knot, hopefully not blowing your reels anti reverse, bearings, spool, etc....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +944
    Name:
    Perry
    If it's any consolation (and maybe karma) having braid wrapped around his prop is gonna eat through his seal post hast. Especially if he is pulling RPM's and doesn't pull the prop to cut it all out. I've seen where braid has actually cut right into the spindle and had to replace the whole thing. Jackass is as jackass does.. eventually Karma will catch up to him...

img13528.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,387
    3oz torpedos and a 9’ jig stick gives you a hundred yards worth of tries. Just sayin

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. von_smozel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +697
    C'mon man...we're all just sayin'!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Eco warriors suck. California, I think as we all know, is notorious for them. I bet he told all his friends and felt pretty dam good about himself. Sorry to hear about the rod. Maybe if this happens again, try to get the boat license and report the harassment?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. von_smozel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +697
    No uniform, no badge, no authority NO benefit of the doubt that dude was lucky something kept you from retaliating cuz like Thrillz said an extra heavy setup coulda tossed a couple ounces of lead and a cpl hundred yds of 50lb spectra into his prop.
    I've been harassed while yakking around different marinas, Nado, etc but i've always been the vulnerable one in a small vessel getting barked at by kooks who don't know where their property ends and where public access begins.
    Anyways we're glad you're ok and not facing bs assault charges. Hope you do consider reporting it tho, who knows what the dude is up to when you're not around.

10. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    And maybe this tool is known by the coasties or fng for being a dick. People who do something like that have likely done it more than once before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah I just hope dude gets his in a karma filled way! Like seriously though made me contemplate trying to figure a way to coerce him to come to shore lol. Either way as Werfless pointed out stoked I still have fingers and a hand cause I'm a chef. Don't know what I would do with work if i was missing digits or a hand. Also thank you so kindly for all the positivity! Really put a damper on things for me last night when dude did that. I'm trying to save up for a truck and then a boat... but I'll be honest now I know what not to do to fellow fisherman! Much appreciation and respect for you guys!

12. von_smozel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +697
    You need a rod bro?

13. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,202
    should have just had him load your entire spool into his prop shaft seal, would have all worked-out in the end....

#13 Slater, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Damn bro that's the most legit thing ever offered! I'm all good though have a few diffrent rods in the cycle I can put back in rotation. I still have some phenix rods from when I was a super fanboy lol just time to bring them back out lol. Will say though that the uribe rod was way more beyond sensitive compared to the phenix rods I have lol. Going to try and ask the uribe dude from riverside if he can shoot me a discounted rod cause i did buy straight from him a week ago. About to take a buddy out and just go hit the pier since he hasnt bought a license this year. Trying to get him back into the sport he's going through a rough time in life so figure get him on the tug drug instead of living life tucked away in a bottle. Plus got him a job where I work so hopefully he can get out of his funk with his wife leaving him. Poor guys been through alot as of late so any and all positivity could go along way! Once again super thanks for the offer brotha!!

15. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah thinking if I see him again will definitely do as such lol. Geeze dude needs some karma wish I would have just let him get after it sooner than later lol

16. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Hahaha don't think I'll ever forget that quote!! Yeah was a new reel too so I was super scared of losing the whole setup! Just spooled up with some mono for the trek today so hopefully this helps out incase of any bad luck in the future! Thank you coach hope the fish gods bless you brotha!