Beet like a redheaded stepchild

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Jenx, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,475
    *Edit: Yup, I misspelled the title!

I hit up Mission Bay yesterday (1/10) at minus tide to try out a lure color pattern that is new to me, and more importantly to see if one of my cheap chinese lures, which I bought for .80¢, would catch me any fish.

I have seen a lot of talk on these boards regarding the best colors for bay fishing lures. It seems that earth tones are the preferred colors for soft plastic curly tail and paddle tail lures, while white/pearl is popular with flukes, and bait fish patterns are what most seem to go with for jerkbaits. Yet, despite the fact that the redheaded pattern is a classic color scheme for lures, I haven't seen any mention of them being used for spotty fishing on these forums, so I decided to give it a try - not that I had much of a choice since it's one of the limited color choices these lures come in.

It only took four casts to catch my first spotty. I didn't get a measurement, but he had a big head on him. Then about twenty casts later I hooked up with my second spotty. At this point I started to think this was going to be a great session, but high hopes always seem to jinx a fishing trip, and a few casts later I started to notice that my lure was casting much-much further than it had a few minutes prior. Which of course, in cheap Chinese lure tradition, means that the lure had filled with water. Hurray! I called it a day about fifteen minutes later.

*Hopefully these photos load. Photobucket has been having problems today...

0110171325_zpshwdcvha5.jpg
    0110171229_zpspe2l33cf.jpg

0110171249_zpstuaaad7q.jpg

Final verdict: The red and a white color scheme definitely seems to work for spotties, and the cheap Chinese lure works... when it's able to stay buoyant. I guess this falls into the category of "you get what you pay for".

However, considering you can buy 25 of these lures for the price of one lucky craft, I'm not yet ready to give up on it. I drilled a small hole into the bottom to drain it, and I'm probably going to seal the whole thing with 30 minute epoxy to see if I can keep it water tight. It looks like the water got in through the hook eyes.

Regardless, it was a nice day on the water.

#1 Jenx, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    I ordered a few of those as well to try, haven't gotten around to it yet but was too curious to not spend $5 on like 15 crank/jerk baits. Thanks for the report.

3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,475
    I bought something like eight different styles in various different colors. One of the smaller ones caught me a small mouth bass down in IV, but I haven't really had the chance to try any of them out.

I'm thinking I might bring a handful to the next shore pounders to see if anyone wants to try them out.

4. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +923
    Name:
    Robbie
    But hey, beets are red... must have been subliminal thoughts ;)

5. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,278
    Nice job. They seem to have the right action. I agree with draining and epoxy the thing. Heck if you lose it you are not out much. Last bay trip barracuda took a LC pointer. The second one I have lost, despite catching tons of fish on it, losing it still hurt, like losing a good swimming surface iron.

#5 Medicated fisherman, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,438
    Drill a small hole in the top and you have a slow sink jerk bait.

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,364
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Well done.. interesting point here, the redhead color scheme is one of the most widely used on earth in saltwater, one might call it universal.. I always have wondered why I never see it from central cal down to central baja.. hmm

8. David Torres

David Torres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Did you buy them off of amazon??

9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,475
    @Medicated fisherman

That's why I 'm experimenting with these cheap lures. Losing one wont hurt one bit, plus I've seen some tutorials online on how to modify your cranks/jerkbaits, and these are cheap enough that I wouldn't mind cutting some open to experiment with.

@David Torres

I bought them off of ebay back at the end of summer. I decided to get them when the bonito were biting, with the hopes of trying the lures out on them, but I never got the chance. The plan was, and hopefully still is, to try out all the lures and then post a review on which ones worked the best, including a link to the sellers.

10. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    I have always wondered about the red and white pattern but never gave it a try for some reason.
    Yeah bring em I'd like to try them out I'm always good for changing it up, where are you finding them?

As the water fills the lure you now have a count down lure. Not so bad

11. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Reminds me of the gotcha plugs they use down south of the fence for Spanish, trevalle, etc...
    Totally forgot about these. I remember a lot of the fisherman were making their own out of spark plugs and other car parts. image.jpeg

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,364
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have seen pipe/rebar jigs, spoons made from car bumpers, rope/cloth/flag lures etc etc etc used to to devastating effect all across the world

13. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Looks like a halco imitation. Not bad looking at all, and nothing beats not having to worry about it snagging up somewhere. i feel like when you're able to fish it harder it will produce better results

14. ED3

ED3
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +801
    Did you say .80cents?