Beginner to kayak and bay fishing

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by TexasRig, Mar 23, 2015.

1. TexasRig

TexasRig Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Boat:
    kayak scupper pro
    hello everyone, I recently was out in mission bay today in my ocean kayak for the second time and this time I attempted fishing after an hour or so I realized I have no idea how to fish in salt water where as I have lived and fished freshwater my entire life. Any help would be appreciated! Really curious as to what type of gear should I use? Im on a budget due to being new to California. Again any info would be greatly appreciated

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,346
  3. buddha

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +456
    Fishing in the bays SD Bay and MB are very similar to freshwater bass fishing. You can use texas rigged worms, spinerbaits, crankbaits, chatterbaits, drop shot, grubs, swimbaits, etc.

The most popular way to fish is to use plastics on jigheads grubs and swimbaits.

I would get some standard jigheads and also some weedless setups for plastics as a start.

Owner jigheads and tenacious jigheads are weedless or you can just rig your plastics up texas rig style.

If you have some spinnerbaits or crankbaits they work in MB. Work them down to about 9 feet just above the eel grass.

You can even rig up senkos wacky rigged or texas rigged or drop shot.

If you want to meet up with me let me know. I can go out during the week usually and it is less crowded on the water. I live in chula vista and fish SD bay often and also MB.

Bass fishing in the saltwater is almost like freshwater LMB fishing.

4. JBonilla_2013

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    Welcome! Im George we met out on the water yesterday. Check out the bay forum for an article a member posted called MB: My perspective. It should be on the top. Its a really good article that will do everything but set the hook for you. Also take time to read the fish reports on that same forum to see what has been working lately and what areas.

My favorite rig is a 5" kalins grub on a Texas rig fished weedless. 1/4 or 3/8 oz bullet weight and a bead. No more than 10lb mono.
    Look for grass, cast, and retrieve slowly.
    Setting up this rig is cheap, easy, and very effective.

5. TexasRig

Ratings:
    +82
    Boat:
    kayak scupper pro

Thanks George! This site has been very helpful so far in a day that I have used it!

6. TexasRig

Ratings:
    +82
    Boat:
    kayak scupper pro