Best 300 size reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Fishferdayzzz, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Fishferdayzzz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +368
    looking at the tranx 300, lexa and lexa wynn 300’s, Abu’s toros and I’m open to other options. It’ll be pretty much for calicos in the thick stuff as well as cabrilla/sardinera/groupers down south. Not really gonna target yellows and other bigger Pelagics with it since I got more than enough gear to handle those. Just wanted to know your opinion and experience about these and how they comprare. Thanks! As well as a rod to match it up with

2. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,266
    You can also add the Penn Fathom 300 and the Okuma Komodo to list

#2 Bird334, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,095
    Whichever one feels best to you. There isn't one unanimously better than the others. It's all personal preference. Go to a tackle shop and check a few out in person.

4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,094
    Name:
    Eric
    The lexa is probably the most popular and universally approved.

I picked up a penn squall 300 a couple months ago, been happy with it though havent fished it a lot. Feels very nice for the price.

5. Dat_fisherman

Dat_fisherman Backlash enthusiast
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,788
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    I personally have a komodo, and I wasn't impressed on how it holds up to salt water. The stainless steel parts in there do not hold up well to the salt for me... I put corrosion x on it, and it made it worse, dont get a stock komodo, change out some of the parts.

6. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,788
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    that being said, go with a lexa, those thing kick *** and take names.

7. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,788
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    and get a Phenix M1 inshore for the rod, that and a lexa is a deadly combo.

8. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,095
    I'm curious about what you mean when you say the SS parts didn't hold up well. What was exactly wrong with them?

I actually have few questions: How did corrosion X make your reel worse? Also where are you finding aftermarket upgrades for the Komodo, and which parts are you claiming require the upgrades?

I'm genuinely curious.

9. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,788
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    After putting on the corrosion x was put on, my reel stopped casting, I tried to let it get looser by casting it over and over… but it wouldn’t get better, my buddy said the internals of the reel were probably over greased by the corrosion x. I tried to fix it up myself, it ended up being rusted out.

10. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,788
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    After two uses in the salt

11. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,458
    I've fished quite a few 300lexas over the years i have to say i really hate those reels. Nothing but problems and poor design choices. Go with a tranx.

12. Fishferdayzzz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +368
    Since I own 2 lexa 400’s I wanted to try something different. Everyone says the tranx 400 is more like a 300 and the 300 like a 250 sized reel. I think imma check out some abu revo beasts as well. I just don’t know what revo beat size is equivalent to the 300 size

13. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,908
    They all have their quirks but they've all been proven to put fish on deck.

I agree with getting to the tackle shop and getting your hands on all the options. Ergonomics plays a huge role since you'll be casting it all day. That was a major deciding factor for me even though the specs and capabilities of the other reels were well within my criteria.

Also having external magnetic cast control was golden. I fish with a quick change clip and swap out lures very often. Adjusting on the fly is key.

14. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,437
    I have a Komodo 400 and it's been great for me in the salt, used mostly for light irons for YT and Bonito at the Coronado Islands.

15. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,437
    I will say that my favorite 300 size reel is the green 300E and EJ Curados, still have my 300E and use it for 20lb.

16. waterman

waterman Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Name:
    gone fishing
    I have the abu garcia toro beast and love it and also have the 13 in the 300 size and love it as well . I also have 13 in 200 size and use it at least twice a week in the salt and very impressed no issues.

17. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,724
    Name:
    I have one
    Aaaah the battle of the lowpros. If you want some more in depth convos about this, go check out my post from back in 2020 in regards to the same thing lol.
    Had a lexa, it was nice, smooth, and had some balls. Sold it lol. Had some things i didnt like about it, main reason though is that I had bought the 8:1:1 gear ratio. Too fast for me.
    -Tried the Fathom 300, still have it and still haven’t been able to hook anything worthwhile but it is a VERY strong reel. They’re pretty much the same as the Revo Beasts according to FatSpottie’s breakdown.
    -I’ve never fished the TranX300, but I have a 200 and it’s definitely very smooth and refined. The only downside is that whole side plate thing, which the 200 solved by making it “spring loaded” as you are not able to remove it. Definitely want to try it out someday!
    -I’ve fished a Curado 300EJ, and although idk how I feel about it tossing plastics, it does a great job in jigging JigParas (as you’d expect to since it’s a jigging reel!)
    -Heard good things about the Lews Super Dury, haven’t gotten the chance to fish one
    -Squalls are just lower end fathoms. I’d say they’re great for the money! But, again, I have not fished one..

As far as rods, I’m on the same boat looking for something to pair with my 300. I’m getting ready to let go of one of my bay rods to fund a new calico rod.

18. Epaleo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +185
    Tranx 300 is my pick. It has not let me down.

19. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,613
    I have a Okuma komodo kds-463p , without the corrosion x problem, theyre know to be a beast & durable...
    Tons of info on BD on the topic, just need to go look for it...
    Cant go wrong with a shimano, the new penns im sure are solid too....

#19 Slater, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,095
    Agreed. I find it very hard to believe that reel completely rusted out after two uses... unless both trips ended with the reel lying on the ocean floor. It's most likely a misdiagnosis on his part, or the reel was reassembled incorrectly. Hard to say without seeing the reel in person.