Best Bang for your Buck: POLARIZED GLASSES

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by REDSHIRT, Nov 6, 2014.

1. REDSHIRT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +88
    GO...and TY in advance

2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
    'Eye surrender' on tackle warehouse. About $40-$50, decent selection of styles and polarization. Lifetime warranty.

Jah

3. REDSHIRT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks rasta, what about good shades, money not a concern?

4. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,305
    I use Costa Del Mar. I have one pair with amber lenses right now and am going to get another pair just haven't decided on the color yet. Something for brighter conditions though.

5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Yep, I agree with DOnkey if money isn't an issue, go with costas

Jah

6. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,120
    I have Hobies in a amber/copper shade with REAL glass and polarized in an aviator style with made in France frames which I really like. And yea Costas are very good but at the $$$$$$ they cost it makes my eyes water and I can't see. Plus I feel that the more expensive a pair of sunglasses are the quicker they tend to "grow legs and walk off", wind up taking a dive in the drink or get sat on to which I have done to several very expensive pair in the past. The best S/G's have frames made in Japan, Italy or France which means quality. Also make sure you get a good neck hanger so they don't fall or get knocked off your face and into the briney plus a quality hard case for storage to keep scratches off the lens when no being worn.

7. jakejake527

jakejake527 Active Member

Ratings:
    +21
    go to walmart

if you lose/break/scratch it...just buy another one. or pay 1000% more for "nicer" ones for a 5% improvement in clarity.

8. REDSHIRT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +88
    Yea, I agree. When it comes to glasses I tend to stick with Hovens. They are a $65 dollar pair, so replacing them once a year is no huge deal. My main concern is quality. I had a decent pair of Typhoon optics, lost em right out of the shoot at Barrett (per my obvious excitement being a barrett newb). Whole day without shades, fail...With that being said, a good lanyard or something will have to be purchased. So overall, preferrably, Im looking for a good, polarized pair, hundred dollar or less. What rec's do you have regarding lens color.

9. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,201
  10. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,305
    Also, the glass is more scratch resistent than the plastic, I have the plastic lenses right now but that's only because they glass lens ones were out of stock at the time. Next pair of Costa Del Mars will be glass, also read they introduced some "new technology" lenses this year so I'll maybe try to do a write up between the 580P and the new ones.

11. 858NOVICE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +408
    Costa's all day in the glass 580G are the best I have found. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. And definitely some kind of strap/keeper for the glasses are in order.

12. NCTOADSLAYERZ

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Check out Suncloud eyewear. They come in all styles and lenses and are under 50$ at Dana Landing

13. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    I dont have a pair, but my buddies do. Smith sunglasses are unmatched. Specifically the Chromapop models, they are super expensive, but they make the world like a fantasy land!!!!

14. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    Costa Del Mar 580G are the gnarliest glasses I've ever worn. I also can't hate on Ray Ban. The Wayfarer must be the toughest frames I've seen. I've stomped em, dropped em, kicked em.... I have a pair of the Born on the water 580G Costa's and they are unreal.

15. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I use Typhoon glasses. They are prescription however they have normal versions. All I can tell you is this..... Never skimp on your glasses... Pay the money to get a great pair. It matters and it helps.

16. REDSHIRT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +88
    Great responses guys. Thanks for the input. Ive checked out some costas, highly reviewed and multipurpose. Thanks again

17. avid_basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +516
    Costas...but they are costly. I own a pair and scared to death with them. Something about breaking $250 glasses. LOL

I also have a few pair of solar bats. Great glasses and hundren less than Costas.

18. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,305
    If you are military (active, guard or reserve) or a first responder of some type send me a PM and I'll link you to a site that has real nice discounts for us. There is some fishing companies on there, Smith optics, Hobie, Costa and a couple for glasses as well.

19. buddha

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +467
    I recently had a pair of Costa Fisch sunglasses that I noticed had some circular spots on them. I tried to clean them off but nope the coating was coming off on the glass lenses.

I sent them back to Costa and for 11.99 they are going to replace the same lenses and give me brand new frames under the warranty which is lifetime.

I have owned maui jims before and they are great also. The return charges are now 50 dollars. They use to be free under warranty. I think the lenses on the maui jim may be better but costa is pretty close.

I have also heard good things about Smith sunglasses but have never tried them.

Tons of sunglass brands out there. Costa seems to be a fishing sunglass specialty brand.

This compares the Smith Chromapop with the Costa 580G sunglasses.

https://www.costadelmar.com/inside-costa/press-media/smith-chromapop-and-costa-580-technology

20. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,305
    I need to send my Costas in, had a hook fly in my face a couple weeks ago and hit the lens, got a nice mark/ding/scratch right in the middle of one of them.