Best Float Tube Fins?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by bgood, Jun 13, 2020.

1. bgood

bgood REALTOR
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +395
    Name:
    Brian Goodell
    Hey guys, maybe this should be posted in the tube section, but I figured more eyes would see it here. Any recommendation on good fins for tubing? I've always just used my bodysurfing fins, but they're just about shot and not really ideal to begin with. Let me know your favorites!

2. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,738
    Force fins

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,102
    Agree

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    I’ve tried many. I was a fan of Churchill fins for A long time but my favorite to date are long strap on dive Fins. Easy to get. They take minimal effort and if you wanna go fast, big, steady thrusts work great. A bonus, they work well for a shallow water anchor

#4 camobass, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,120
    Force Fins and if you can get the adjustable ones so you can use canvas lugged boots for hiking into a body of water or moving down a rocky, muddy bank. However if you are just walking into the water from a sandy beach then neoprene dive booties (two sizes large to fit over wader feet) work well and if you have wide feet like me they are very comfortable . FF's provide power on the up stroke and fold in on the down stroke for less resistance which fits in with the strength of your legs as the power stroke is the up stroke. The aforementioned lessens the possibility of getting cramps in your hamstrings on a long slough against a current. They are also very easy to use in tight quarters and spinning around. As a former diver I have had 4 pair of fins over the years and only FF's in my opinion are suitable for float tubing. Expensive, yes but well worth it so consider them the outboard of your tube.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,329
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Another vote for Force Fins. The long Dive fins are likely faster, but FF's are better all around. Look for a used pair. I just sold a pair for $50. I bought my first pair for $40. Deals are out there, if you can be patient.

7. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,506
    I like my force fins for small waters like ponds or lakes where you fish small areas only, they are super light and mobile. But for covering distance and speed the longer diving fins are my go to without a question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. bgood

bgood REALTOR
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +395
    Name:
    Brian Goodell
    Thanks everybody for your response. That was my concern toolbox....thinking about kicking back in the wind at Barrett at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,740
    Yep. 100% yep. Only drawback is that they are a single strap around the back of the ankle. I wanted a more secure and tight feel in case I kicked hard, so I went with Outcast Power Kicks and their 3-strap system - two straps over the shoe itself, and a "leash" strap around the ankle. Its a MUST to wear a thick pair of wading boots or shoes with them. Best fins ever (for me). Love them so much I bought a second pair not long after for just in case. Not cheap at $100 per pair.. but soooo worth it.

10. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,716
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    If price is an issue, here are the ones i have and prefer over FF. I've tried FFs and these, back to back, and these outperform them IMO. I'm all about thrust which is where these excel. Maybe if you have bad knees, or aren't all that fit, FFs will suit you better. But if you're in good shape, and don't mind getting a solid workout, you can have these for $55 on amazon. Made by the same brand as fishcat float tubes
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QFVXX0/?tag=sd07e-20
    [​IMG]

11. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,506
    100%. I started tubing in the 80’s and haven’t stopped. I have been through lots of different tubes, waders, shoes then booties and every type of fin possible. You will be in trouble if you get deep into Hauser or Pine and the wind kicks up without the longer dive fins.. I promise. No matter what you go with try the fins on with your waders, booties and the fins. They cannot be on the tight side, you will not last. I wear a size 12 and live in East County, If you are close, I’ll loan you my force fins and diving fins for a day. FF are mobile and versatile but not made for long distances or speed! Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    You’ll like the dive fins

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,008
    I bought some long dive style fins, but my knees aren't in such good shape, so the long fins started to wear me out and make my knees hurt while I was out on the water. I like good old Creek Company fins, designed to strap over your wading shoes. Fairly inexpensive, correct length of fin blade, easy to get on and off.