Best gear to bring tubing?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by DarrenSki, Jan 10, 2018.

1. DarrenSki

DarrenSki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +201
    what sort of gear is good to bring during an outing? Trying to get everything now before I go out wishing i had something I didn’t.

2. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,635
    Are you talking tubing session?
    License, tube, pump, fins, waders, rod holder, tackle, light (if night or early morning fishing), rods&reels, glasses, net, sun block, water, camera. That should do it.

3. DarrenSki

DarrenSki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +201
    License as in just fishing license? Or do I need a boaters permit or anything?

4. filippo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2016
    Adding to the above list:

* 5lb anchor for the bay. If the current is strong and you need to keep position. You'll need it maybe 3 out of 10 times you're out fishing.

* Headlamp. Super useful to see in the dark -- early launch/night session--, to be seen, and for hands free fishing.

* Backup tube bladders. You don't need them right now that your tube is new, but it does happen that you get to location and one bladder is damaged, usually for over inflating. There's nothing more frustrating than finding out when you're about to get in the water and having to head back home. So yeah, do NOT over inflate! Just know that you and your tube can actually float with just ONE bladder full of air. LESS air is better! A little less air will ensure you're not putting too much pressure to the seams of the bladders.

* 4" or 5" Fish Finder with downscan. Not required, but it's nice to see how the bay looks like, what's underneath, what structure you're fishing, etc. It's like a 3rd eye and you'll learn a LOT!

* Fishgrip, in case you catch an halibut.

* For tubing in winter, wear heavy clothing and heavy socks underneath your waders. It's better to feel a bit warm than having cold legs/feet. I've fished in really cold days but I was super comfortable in the water because of heavy clothing.

* If you have a rod holder, use 1 spinning rod for 'trolling'. You're kicking and moving backwards while your line is about 100 feet away from you. With the speed you're going, you won't be believe how many fish you'll catch trolling -- sometimes too many that you won't even have time to cast and retrieve plastics with the other rod. ;) Gulp products work great in the bay for trolling.

Have fun! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. porvida99

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +199
    Depending on what kind of waders you have, maybe dive booties. Also a pfd, some ziplock bags, and a whistle or horn. I’ve also started carrying a piece of plastic tubing that fits in the Boston valves. Got that tip from fisheromen on another thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    First things first... everyone is different. We can all tell you what we carry personally, but there's no way for you to know what's right for you until you do it. I will tell you this though.. my first couple of times out were an absolute trainwreck not only because I hadn't developed a "system" yet, but because I hadn't figured out what I really needed vs. what I thought I needed.

Like everyone else... pump, fins, boat apron, wading pants for colder water, wading shoes (bcuz I wear Outcast fins that you wear with shoes), a bath towel to put down on your car seat after you're out of the water, trash bags to step into before I get into my wading pants (its a great trick I learned years ago), big hat, camera, nippers and whistle on a lanyard around my neck, sunglasses, bright red bicycle lights on my hat in case there's fog or its still dark out and a PFD.

Weight. There's a consideration. My boat weighs 14 lbs empty and dry. With gear in my saddlebags, I'm guessing the boat comes in at 18+ lbs. If you're interested, here's what I carry at all times... (keep in my mind, I'm flyfishing so my stash will be different from others).

I use a Humminbird 110 just to see the bottom contours and depth. That in itself adds a couple of pounds.

Right saddlebag) Boga Grip, hemostats (both on bungee cords so they wont go overboard). 2 boxes of flies, fishing license in a waterproof envelope. Waterproof container for used flies to sit in after I've swapped them out.

Left saddlebag) A small bottle of drinking water. A couple of KIND bars to chew on if I'm hungry. A fly box full of larger Halibut flies. An old rag for wiping saltwater off my face and sunglasses. Another waterproof pouch that holds a modified wallet and my keys, and a relief tube because I found out early on that I didn't enjoy contorting my body so that I didn't pee all over the seat.

Each saddlebag has a small zipper compartment on its rear side. The one on my right stores a velcro rod leash. The other stores a 6' piece of thin rope with carabiners at each end - just in case I need to tie off to something, or another float tube for some reason.

Sidenote.. the pepper spray goes in my jacket pocket.:emoji_thumbsup:

#6 Creek, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    Number one...a net...trust me...
    Number two...a net...get one...they’re cheap at dix sporting goods on sports arena
    Walmart has some cheap dry bags in their camping section...pretty good quality for around 10 bucks...I highly recommend a dry bag...it’s good for extra tackle you’ll never use unless you don’t bring it...and also to put sweaters and stuff when it warms up..
    a few ziplock bags for the phone and wallet...
    I also like to bring a small plastic case I can just throw lures and plastics with hooks still in them in instead of having to dig through my compartments to put things back neatly...I deal with that when I get home..
    Not really gear but a recommendation...always keep an eye on your surroundings so you know where you can get out to use the bathroom...especially on some of these secluded holes where there’s no shore access...but you’ll learn all about that..
    And water...the double leg cramp is not the business..
    Of course all the other safety stuff already mentioned....

#7 mikecheck1212, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    One thing not mentioned but very important...drinking water. If you don't drink you will eventually start to cramp. Your legs are your motor and without them you are dead in the water. Bring a snack to keep your energy levels up as well.

9. Kyle Goodman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +354
    Ive mentioned it before on another post for float tubing but one thing that I would recommend to always have in your float tube is some Tear-Aid type b. Ive been out a couple of times where I accidentally stuck a hook in my bladder and starting loosing air pretty quickly. I was able to get to the closest dock, hop up and do a real quick patch on the hole and continue on with my day. THIS IS A MUST HAVE FLOAT TUBERS Im telling you from experience.

tearepair_vinyl_repair_type_b_1285818__1.jpg

You can find it at big 5 and sometimes walmart!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +638
    I still haven't taken the hand-me-down Fat Cat on her maiden voyage, but I'm wondering - I have an electric pump (hooks up to the car battery) that can get the tubes reasonably firm, but I'm not sure whether or not I should use a manual pump to top it off. Do any of you actually bring pumps with you for the ride?

11. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    I use a manual pump to top it off...and I bring just the hose part of my pump with me...you’d be surprised how few breaths it takes to fill up a bladder when it’s low..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    My assortment depends on a few things... Duration, Fresh/Salt and Location. It's also gonna depend on how much you can handle.

Essentials other than terminal gear and rods/reels on EVERY TRIP include; Whistle, flashlight and head lamp, Small Vinyl Tape Measure, Lighter, Diagonal Cutters & Needle Nose pliers, Bottle Opener and Ziploc bags for my personal items...Wallet,keys... A few drinks and maybe a bite or two to eat. Every trip this is a bare minimum. I top off the tube pressure manual (little mouth to mouth) and go. Most items stay in the tube.

Salt water I add a fish grip device, a net if I'm feeling it and a lot less tackle. Bay Fishing for me is the lightest duty there is. I go way overboard at the lake. I really only need a few lead heads, few baits and again some drinks.

Lake trips can be easy like Miramar/ Murray or grueling long days like Morena, Barrett or Otay. Long trips I literally bring everything down to TP, a few small tools, band aids and small first aid stuff and repair stuff for rods like a stick of glue, electrical tape and zip ties. I have a small thing of oil for reels, tweezers and hemostats, a cooler full of drinks (igloo playmate fits in tube behind seat) and enough food for the day. I almost always bring way to much stuff.

I like to be over prepared. I always blame things on being under prepared but never over prepared. Within reason of course, pack it in pack it out. If I'm close to home and only fishing for a few hours, I tend to scale down. If I'm gonna be more than 20 Mins from home and fishing for extended periods I've even brought extra line, rods and reels and left them in the truck. Over time you will find your "kit".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    I agree with the bay part...sometimes it is very refreshing to fish the salt...I can fit everything in one pocket...fresh is the opposite although I am learning that at certain lakes I can leave some stuff at home..

14. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    Same, slowly but surely getting wiser.

15. bluegillman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +565
    Name:
    Aqualung
    Haha don't ask me. This photo is from back in my early days - when I carried LESS gear.

IMG_20170517_124335 (2).jpg

16. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    Haha