Best rig/bait and spot to catch leopards?

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by ethan1991, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ethan1991

ethan1991 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    That' scary considering I swam in the bay last year :O

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Muskie Hunter
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,975
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    They aren't going to harm yah in the bay lol. If your bleeding bad offshore when they are feeding that could be a different story though. I've only seen sharks a few times offshore that are just swimming around, and that great white once..

3. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +484
    Boat:
    None
    Gonna head out to Silverstrand tomorrow to catch perch and throw a rod for leopards/rays. Going to use a 3 way rig with a half of a fresh mackerel. Hopefully I will catch something. Will let you guys know how I do.

4. ethan1991

ethan1991 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I saw an octopus as well, do they make good bait/are they legal to catch?

5. Rasamufasa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Matthew
    I'm pretty sure you can only take them by hand.

6. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,296
    How'd the bait soak rod do?

7. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +484
    Boat:
    None
  8. aquaman10293

aquaman10293 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +774
    Caught a sculpin once it coughed up a small octopus put it on a hook and could not keep the fish off and it was so tough the fish couldn't pull it off

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Rasamufasa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Matthew
    Yeah coughed up octopus is the best bait for lings and rockfish.

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,413
    Bro, if you're on the Navy base, (theoretically) you can take whatever way you want. The DFG won't bother you there. Plus on Naval Base Pt Loma you have shore access to unpressured waters. Civilians and recreational boaters can't push in that close to the base. You should get yourself a top water set up and toss that thing out near the shore line. I'll bet in the unpressured waters you could SLAY corvina and bass. Also might want to get a spinner bait to toss out. In my opinion (when you're landlocked), the worst way to catch fish is to chuck out a piece of bait and just let it soak. I'm not saying it can't be effecting in some scenarios, but by and large it's the most unproductive method of fishing. You cover very little geography using this method. Most game fish are reactionary biters. They use their sense of smell, as well as lateral lines, and their eyesight to hunt. They pick up on vibrations and flashes in the water. Spinner or top-water jerkbait will out fish soaking squid 99% of the time in the area that you're fishing. Just my $.02

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,543
    Boat:
    3 too many
    I dunno.. I bet if you chummed a bunch of mack chunks, crushed mussel, shrimp pieces, etc (if you had a current to push your chum line), bet you could have a double digit session in a hurry, possibly less than ten minutes, with a ton of food fish in the bargain, just a guess.. If I can have a 15 to 20 fish session on south jetty doing so, pretty sure it would work ten times as well there..

12. ethan1991

ethan1991 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Yeah I think the kayak renting season is starting here so I plan on doing to kayak fishing, right now I have a spinning penn rod/reel. Caught 5 yellow tail on sunday out by the coronado islands.

13. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,413
    You're probably right. Chumming always works. But he wasn't chumming. He was just soaking squid chunks. Also if you're going to chum, you need to keep track of where your chum slick is located, as well as paying attention to the tides and currents. If you can hit your live bait in the general vicinity (say 10-15 feet), then you're golden.

14. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Name:
    MattL
    I always wondered about this - juvenile great whites are known to travel in and out of San Francisco Bay. It makes sense that they'd occasionally feed in SD Bay as well, especially considering that almost all our whites are pups.

15. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,975
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    I know that Juvie White Sharks are commonly tagged down in Roserietta, but at that age they are mainly feeding on bottom fish like flounders, butts and rockfish... It isn't until they are around 10-12ft feet long do they begin to feed on seals as a primary food source. I think they are not seen here very often because of the sheer amount of boat traffic and would drive them away. People soak enough large pieces of bait here that a few would have been caught if they were really active in here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,543
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Some guy caught a 10 foot from the beach off camp pendleton. ..

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/2...by-great-white-shark-catch-off-camp-pendleton

17. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,975
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
  18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,543
    Boat:
    3 too many
    What I found interesting is that he used a battie chunk for bait.. Fairly telling, I would say

19. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,975
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Well they do feed on bottom fish, makes me wonder if a Whitie has ever been documented with ray stingers in it mouth.

20. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,135
    There are more white sharks off our coast during spring and fall then most people think. Not juveniles either. La Jolla is one of the few feeding areas between the Farallons and Guadalupe. The seal colony along with the deep water of the canyon so close to shore makes for an ideal feeding area. The juveniles are often seen shallower feeding on fish. I don't think you have to worry about swimming in the bay. I remember back in the early 2000s a 10 ft great white was seen by a few different people in the bay. From balast point to harbor Island. I think it stuck around for a week or so then people stopped seeing it. Remember that video from the dock in SF bay that recorded a white shark eating a seal.