Best scupper plugs?

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by Bassassasin, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bassassasin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +174
    Who has tried them all and finally found something that works well? I need to replace mine as they are flimsy and leak all the time.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,466
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Ok. Here ya go.

Last season I replaced my truly crappy scuppers which were Atwood Scuppers.

Do not buy these! They are junk!
    406B1ADD-C7AE-4B24-AA85-755AA2C7E0EB.png
    86035EC7-2D0C-434B-A8B7-94CDF96158EC.png

There is no stop for the rubber flap. The rubber flap will get bent and not seal properly.

If you like this style, get the Perko. It’s designed much better and it has a tab to prevent the flap from flapping too much, enabling it to flap back, if that makes sense.

Get this one if this style is your comfort zone:

7B36EEF6-970C-4FE3-8578-7C8AA1C273D1.png

Two things to notice....1) the tab on the Perko. It prevents the rubber flap from going out too far. A better design that allows it to seal. 2) the price. The Perko costs more. There is a reason. It’s better! The Perko was the OEM scupper on my boat I bought new and it NEVER gave me a problem in over 5 years of hard use.

However, the used boat I bought had the cheapos on it and I had problems from day 1.

That said: last season I experimented with the Ball Scuppers. I have been extremely pleased with them. One year later and I have no issue and in fact they were never on my mind on my first trip of the season to the Coronado Islands.....I even used them side by side with el cheapos.....

D6078A2A-B7E2-4456-8A60-E106BCE94911.png

BFBB20B0-CB62-4142-B750-98026198F1A2.png

5F2502A2-8AAF-441B-996C-EA77CD625B0F.jpeg

Final verdict. If you can afford $15 a scupper. As you can see, on my boat there are 4 so that’s $60. Ouch, but well worth it....Go with the ping pong ball style. The only negative I have to report is the popping sound it makes when the ball slams shut over the hole. For me it’s a reassuring sound so I like it.

On the other hand the Perko style is $22 each.....So that prompted me to try ping pong....at a $28 savings it was worth it and I don’t regret it....

Long story short....Don’t skimp or cheap out on your thru-hull scupper. The cheapos will work for a bit then get bent and not seal.....El cheapos will cause you to “el sinko!”

Here’s a tip for both styles:

Make sure you check and clean your scuppers before, and during your trips. An anchovie or sardine or gunk or hook or fishing line will gunk up your scupper. Clean them/check them often. If you have back flow of water when you stop or are sitting still you have a clog or you bought el cheapos.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,466
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  5. Bassassasin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +174
    You are the man geofish !!! I appreciate this detailed analysis. Thanks a bunch!!!!

6. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +576
    that was a great and detailed post and if it
    answered your question very good but I thought you
    were asking about kayak scupper plugs seeing it is
    in a kayak forum and I too was interested in the answer

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Oops! I missed that it was on the Kayak section....

Since Werfless referred to me I figured he was talking about Boats. I didn’t even look at the group.....

If indeedy, you are talking about kayak scuppers....The term Scupper usually refers to a one way drain hole. Essential on a blue water boat.

In a kayak, unless I’m mistaken, you are referring to “drain plugs” correct? I guess my next question is; why do you want to plug up your drain hole? For a drier ride? On my Jackson Big Tuna sit on top, I want the water to run out of the kayak. If I plugged my holes, I’d be sitting/gear would be in puddles of water....

I’ve got at least 4 drain holes. Other than making a weird popping noise when waves go by, they work great....

I guess I’m ok with the fact that when I go on the open ocean or bay for that matter that I’ll get a little wet. I’m a paddler, so just paddling can be wet.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List