Best Spool Bearing Oil in Saltwater?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by twiggen, Feb 2, 2022.

1. twiggen

twiggen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Name:
    Joseph Oh
    Hey all, I've been using a drop of ReelX on my spool bearings on all of my baitcasters since I mostly fish the bays, but I've found ReelX to be quite viscous compared to other oils and it slows down my spool speed a lot. Only reason I use it is to prevent corrosion, but I'm looking for an alternative that would give me better freespool / casting distance. Have you guys any experience in non-CorrosionX/ReelX oils for use on your spool bearings? Any problems with corrosion? Any input is appreciated :)

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,906
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    The tournament distance casters lean toward Rocket fuel products Yellow or red . I use lucas synthetic reel oil but as I run out will change . The blue bottle 3in 1 gets good reviews esentually 20 WT . 0-20 engine oil is another that I have started using with good results . Still need to regularly maintain your reels but the bearings do run fast with any of the above . No corrosion problems , but I stay on top of maintenance . WR

3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,095
    I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard good things about TSI 321

4. twiggen

Ratings:
    +127
    Name:
    Joseph Oh
    I've heard about those two oils too... do you use them in saltwater? how often do you flush bearings and re-oil then?

5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,908
    TSI 321 beats Corrosion-X.

Also quality bearings, lighter spool weight, smaller line diameter, bearing supported reel components, etc... all play a factor.

What reels and what do you throw that you're looking to gain distance with?

6. twiggen

Ratings:
    +127
    Name:
    Joseph Oh
    I've got a Shimano Metanium MGL and a Daiwa Zillion. They're amazing reels, but I definitely feel the ReelX slowing down the spool speed. I'm going to have to try the 321 then. In your experience, how corrosion resistant is it?

7. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,908
    So far so good. One set of SARBs and another on Bocas so decent bearings to start with.

With Corrosion-X a drop is plenty. I'll also blow out the excess with a puff of canned air if needed.

8. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,906
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    As skrilla said , there are many things that can be done to improve performance . One thing I do is remove the side shields from the bearings , sounds unconventional but allows removal of excess oil , cleaning and facilitates drying of moisture after use . Shimano ARB bearings are built this way for instance . Also make sure that the mechanical and magnetic spool braking systems are set properly . What ever oil you select , as said , a little goes a long way . Good Luck , WR

9. twiggen

Ratings:
    +127
    Name:
    Joseph Oh
    Thanks all for the input. I'm going to try TSI 321 and see how it lasts in the salt.

10. Mike M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    Name:
    Mike Mendez
    I use TSI321 on my Curado 100D spool bearings, spool shaft and inside the pinion gear. I relubricate each time I replace my line.

Don't forget to keep pinion gear grease out of the inside of the pinion gear. I put a q-tip on a dremmel with some solvent (like goo-gone, acetone, alcohol) to clean the inside of the pinion gear. A clean/smooth pinion gear inside makes a big difference.

11. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,095
    Name:
    Eric
    Good advice. Part of my post fishing routine is q-tip inside the pinion gear after every outing. Seems to make a difference on free spoil and keeping the reel trouble free.

12. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,326
    All of the oils are hydrophobic. A heavier oil or even grease will prevent wear and corrosion better but a lighter oil will reduce friction better and give longer casting difference Regular exterior rinsing of the reel with every outing and occasional disassembly and inside rinsing and lube is your best friend.

An oil meant for wide temperature ranges (e.g. engine oil) is not needed; you will likely not be fishing over an engine temperature range.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List