Best spot for a pond prowler

Discussion in 'Bass' started by cassidyta, Aug 25, 2021.

1. cassidyta

cassidyta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Good evening all. After about a divorce and more than a decade away from our lakes, I’m looking at getting back on the water. I no longer have an actual bass boat, but I do have a 10’ pond prowler. Just curious what everyone would suggest as a good lake to get this out on. Been sticking with some small ponds, but want to expand my horizons again.

thanks for any input

F1419455-24FD-446F-A01E-5BFBA8E8DD80.jpeg

2. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    If it is unmotorized or trolling motor only you might be able to take it to Barrett if you can convince them (or at least yourself) it is the equivalent of a kayak or canoe. I have seen people there with pontoons so maybe. If it fits in the back of your car or truck, you should be OK, on a trailer: no. This time of year, just show up at the gate with $20. Otherwise Ticketmaster at about $28. Ticketmaster sucks, $8 surcharge for an automated transaction? And they shut down about Thursday for the weekend.

I will be there on Saturday. PM me if you want to meet up. My only agenda is catching fish, I am a sunrise to sunset angler there.

In the winter, don't overlook South San Diego Bay.

3. ayopierre

ayopierre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +266
    Name:
    ayopierre
    i will be there on saturday most likely, if show up and buy tickets at the gate is there a guarantee i get let in? would hate to be turned away if they're maxed out (only a limited amount of tickets each day, right?)
    Also want to try to rent a boat so i don't have to bring the kayaks

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    I have seen guys once in a while at Lake Murray in them. You could no doubt launch it there and the lake is a no wake lake so guys in bass boats can't fly around the lake which makes it safer.
    I am not sure about the fees for it. When I launch my kayak, it costs $2. If you launch a boat it is more. Here ya go:
    LAKE MURRAY
    Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.04.26 AM.png

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    The rental boat spots are sold out. Only tube/kayak spots are still open. Sometimes people post rental spots here on sdfish Barrett Ticket Trader when they buy a ticket and can't make it.

6. ayopierre

ayopierre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +266
    Name:
    ayopierre
    oh good to know.. guess it's kayak time. i hope there's a launch to actually back the trailer down into?

7. cassidyta

Ratings:
    +23
    thanks for the offer. Sorry for not responding sooner. Had a bad dog bite that ended with some amputation of a finger. Looks like I’m on the sidelines for a bit. I do feel that my pond prowler could meet the kayak requirements as it does fit in the back of the truck

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,918
    Wow....sorry to hear about the dog bite and your finger. Hope you recover soon and best wishes to be back on the water and catching lots of fish in the near future.

#8 VinnyBass, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  9. Pond_prowler_619

Pond_prowler_619 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Name:
    Ish
    I have tooken mine to otay,i have the 8ft version and i love that little thing... you can park in the sand and launch right off the shore

10. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    Damn, I could give up my pinky but losing my forefinger or thumb would be a real problem for fishing. Sorry to hear that. Which finger? Primary hand or secondary?

11. cassidyta

Ratings:
    +23
    It was non dominant pinkie so yes it could be a whole lot worse. It only is an issue when flipping. No matter how much I say don’t do it, I find that I still try and use it on a hook set. I actually made it to some pond fishing at dos picos a couple of days after and took my pond prowler to Lake Miramar last weekend so while it will be a couple of months before it’s fully healed, it hasn’t sidelined me as much as I feared.

12. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    Good to hear that it wasn't worse. In time, you will learn and compensate.