Best trout flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Nick Arevalo, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Boat:
    None
    Gonna be ordering my first fly rod this week or next week. I decided on the orvis encounter 9' 5wt, and I'm going to order some flies with the rod but don't know what works well for trout. I see people here fishing zebra midges under indicators and some dry flys. There are just so many different types of flies, I don't know where to start. What are some good dry flies, wet flies, and streamers that work in the area? I'm also going to visit one of the local shops soon. Thanks!

2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,134
    A couple of examples to start. Everywhere you go, there are mosquitoes, so I always have a few sizes of dry ones on hand. For streamers, local trout like beadhead Woolie Buggers in black and olive Matukas.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Rarely do we have much in the way of local surface action for trout. It does happen on occasion but is rare. Focus on subsurface stuff locally to start.

I suggest the following - all are subsurface:

Black beadhead woolly bugger in sizes 10 and 8. Also Olive.

Woolly buggers imitate dragon fly larva and small fish.

Black Matuka in sizes 10 and 8. Also Olive.

Beadhead Prince Nymph or Zug Bug in sizes 14, 12, 10
    Beadhead Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear in sizes 14, 18

These imitate smaller dragon fly larva and damselfly larva.

Zebra midge, back body with red rib and black body with silver rib. Sizes 16 and 18. With and without beadhead.
    Zebra midge, olive body with silver rib, Sizes 16 and 18. With and without beadhead.

The zebra midges imitate chironomid larva. All of the chironomids that I have seen on the lakes are olive or tan but black patterns seem to work pretty well.

The only may fly present in are local lakes is the callibaetis but populations are vary sparse and they are not in all of the lakes. I have seem them on upper and lower Otay, Cuyamaca, and Barrett. They may be in others. But any hatches are very sparse and usually not enough to bring fish up for them.

These patterns will get you started and catch lots of fish.

If I was only going to pick one it would be the black beadhead woolly bugger in a size 10.

For the bead heads on all flies, look for gold or silver beads.

Of course there are many other flies. The wholesale catalogs we order from have thousands of patterns but the above will do the job locally most of the time.

If you feel the need to have a few dries, I suggest the Griffith's Gnat in sizes 14, 16, and 18, for local midge hatches. This pattern actually sort of resembles a cluster of hatching midges to trout (we think). Looks like a fuzz ball to me.

Also some parachute Adam in sizes 14, 16, and 18 and some Elk Hair Caddis in sizes 14, and 16. Both of these will work in the sierras to.

#3 CraigSmith, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  4. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome, thanks for the help guys! Slowly learning more and more about this type of fishing.

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,828
    In addition to the great suggestions above, I suspect a small egg pattern would be a good doughbait imitation for stockers.

6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,808
    A while back, well actually it was during the mid to late 1990's, I tried small egg patterns at Lake Cuyamaca. Never got a bite. Got plenty of bites on the usual buggers, nymphs, etc. So in the name of experimentation, I rubbed the egg flies in some powerbait. Tried different flavors. Still never got a trout bite on the egg pattern. Got some bullhead though.

When there is enough rain over a long period of time to get the feeder streams into Cuyamaca going, trout will sometimes go up these creeks looking for a place to spawn. I have often wondered if an egg pattern drifted near the inlets to the lake might work. Never tried it thought.

Hatchery trout are fed pellets. There are a number of pellet fly patterns out there- both floating and sinking. I have never tried one but I know they catch stocked trout some places. Some pellet fly patterns are available commercially. I know The Fly Shop in Redding sells them. Other places probably too.

#6 CraigSmith, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Interesting, especially on the "powerbait flies." Rodmaster858 has some recent underwater footage of trout taking small balls of dough bait that look like suspended eggs, but I guess the scent can really make a difference... except in your experience.

8. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,164
    I want to add the wolly bugger convo, they're a great versatile fly. There's no real right way to use them which I think can be great for someone starting out. I've dead drifted, stripped and fished them under an indicator. They're also usually a bit bigger which can make them easier to cast in comparison to a size 18 nymph.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +935
    Balanced leaches are another popular fly for stillwater fishing under a indicator. The are weighted to levitate parallel to the water surface for a more life like presentation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,549
    Enjoy fly fishing ! Pretty soon you'll be searching eBay for Sage SPL 0wts.

11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,468
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Craig's list is great..I would add a flashback Hares ear, 16, 18. Very dependable fly in the Sierras and here! For some reason I just can't throw an egg pattern or hatchery chow pattern...a little fly snobbery still in me! I've fished with guys on the Owen's throwing egg patterns and just killing it..I still couldnt do it ...stubborn or stupid?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Stickboy

Stickboy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +42
    All great advice but I think it comes down to where you'll be fishing. Streams or lakes? Planters or natives? Local parks or elsewhere? Pick your flies and sizes based on where you'll be fishing. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +488
    Do scuds ever show up in the local waters?

14. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Cuyamaca used to have some scud like critters. I don’t know exactly what they are. I haven’t been there in years.

15. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,468
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I think scuds just look yummy to most trout!