Best way to freeze sand crabs

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Nickheid, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Nickheid

Nickheid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    so the summertime season is wrapping up and sand crabs will be gone in a month or so. I’ve heard of people boiling and blanching them but I don’t know what blanching is and I’m curious whether they’d be good enough just kept and frozen

2. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,245
    Blanching means you boil something for a short amount, usually just enough cook it. Then immediately drop it into iced water to stop the cooking process and maintain the texture.
    I've never done with sand crabs so can't give you any cook times. I'd imagine around 2mins at full boil? If you have a lot then do them in batch so you don't cool down the boiling water to much.

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,391
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Have not done the process myself as far as freezing . The blanching / cooking just takes a few seconds they change color sort of like cooking shrimp . I have done this for use in some SMCA areas to show they were not taken on site .just kept them cold and used next day . Up on the Oregon coast have seen fishermen freeze them in water so that it excludes any air contact while being stored . Small container 15 to 20 baits per when you need them just melt the block of ice in the water at the beach . The perch up there didn't seem to mind them being dead . WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Have done both and success catching fish either way.

5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,941
    Blanch is dumping them in boiling water for a few seconds. Once they start turning from grey to pink/orange you can throw them in an ice bath. I did a few batches last year and froze them after I vacuum sealed them in small lots. I have to say, I did not have much luck fishing with them. Couldn't get bit on SC where I would with blood worm or gulp worms. Bill Varney says that the fish are going to bite best on bait that they are already foraging on, so they won't accept a food source that doesn't seem natural to them, even if its just out of season. Somehow they know that's not what they are supposed to be eating and avoid it.
    Good luck to you if you do try it.

6. twnoel111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    Name:
    Tom
    What I do is put the dime to quarter size sandcrabs preferably with orange roe into boiling water just till they start to turn color. At this point take them and put in ice bath. Once I have done this I add a few drops of my favorite coloring dyes. Like the ones you use for easter eggs. Dip each sandcrab but don't oversoak. Gather each and put different colors in I serving zip lock and freeze. you will be surprised on their texture. Once I take them to the beach I don't hook them like you would normally. I just feed them to the seagulls and fish with my LC's. Look for seagulls with multi colored beaks for fun.

7. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Have to agree with you on "using during season". Right now in the Fall, there are fewer visible crab beds as they bury themselves deeper into the sand getting ready for the winter hibernation. As long as corbina are still hanging around until the water temps really drop, they and other species will still go for them. During summer months, I'll freeze any leftovers to use during a minus tide session when often I could not find any - - had real good results on those occasions.

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,973
    Name:
    Larry M
    When you boil them they will float to the surface when they are done.
    I would do this when camping at San Onofre State Beach. Last camping trip I couldn't find any sand crabs.