BFT on the Outer Limits 6/1

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by sdchronix, Jun 3, 2019.

1. sdchronix

sdchronix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Buddy of mine invited me on a 1.5 day private charter on the Outer Limits. Jumped on Friday night loaded up all my gear, cracked a beer and we were off to get bait. Load of 17 guys which was nice.

Woke up at about 6am or so to the motor powering down, threw my shoes on and run up to the deck where Hayden (DH) had just started tossing some bait out. Grabbed my flyline set up and a bait and was one of the first in the water. Apparently Paul (Captain) had seen a nice kelp paddy that he figured we might as well see if anything wanted to play. No luck. Motored around for a bit with a few marks here and there with no luck on bringing them up. Finally around 9 or so we found a school that was willing to come up for our chum. About 9:40 I kept struggling to collar hook the bait with a circle hook so I asked Jake (DH) to show me one more time, he hooked it up and I tossed it off the corner. Bait instantly took off, almost straight down. Within 20-30 seconds I was bit. Counted to 3, struck it in gear and started reelin. First bite of the day for the boat. Took me 3/4 of the way around the boat then back to the bow. Jake stayed by my side the entire time, walking me through what to do and not to do. After about 10 minutes got settled in on the starboard corner on the bow. Then another buddy get bit and he's on.

This fish kicked my ***! Got it to color (still pretty far but could see the flashes) and he decided to turn and run again. Hes gone, can't get him to stop. Finally decide to throw it in low gear and started to gain a little then he's off again for another run. Finally got his head turned and gained a decent amount and then he just stops and won't move. Jake decided to lightly feed my line in so I could gain 1/4-1/2 turn at a time, and we slowly worked him in. Got him to deep color and thought we had him, but still took another 10-15 minutes to get him close enough for Jake nail the gaff job and brought him on the boat. First fish on the deck and my first BFT ever! Roughly 50-70 minute fight on my Phenix Black Diamond 809H and Avet MXL 6/4 50lb braid, 40lb mono topshot & 40lb fluoro. Size 1 circle hook. Scaled out to 62.1 after gilled,gutted&bled.

The fish stuck with us ALL day on the same drift. Once we brought them up we never had to move the boat. Breaking water, some fully jumping out of the water from 100yards out as close as 10-15 feet at some times.
    I went the rest of the day without a bite. But we were able to get 14 on the boat. Lots of lost fish due to knot failure or too light of line, some even spit hooks. Some were lost at deep color which is heartbreaking to see.
    The guy with the hot stick ended up hooking 5 fish, cant remember if he landed 1 or 2, but he handed off the rest and ALL 5 were landed.
    All fish were caught on the flyline, none wanted to play with the rubberband sinker or yoyos. The ticket seemed to be picking a hot bait and hooking it without beating it up. Think it might have helped to pick a smaller one as well, but not positive. Their bellies were stuffed full of our chum, with a little bit of red crab mixed in. 50-80lb grade.

All in all, GREAT trip and the crew on the Outer Limits is SUPERB.

2. sdchronix

Ratings:
    +256
    IMG_20190602_070328.jpg IMG_20190601_101750.jpg IMG_20190601_103841.jpg IMG_20190601_190323.jpg IMG_20190601_105506_1.jpg IMG_20190601_215517.jpg IMG_20190601_170829.jpg IMG_20190601_153659.jpg IMG_20190601_100830.jpg IMG_20190602_060112.jpg

3. HookD

HookD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the detailed report and congrats on your first BFT!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. sdchronix

Ratings:
    +256
    Thank you!!

5. ironmike

ironmike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Name:
    Ironmike
    NICE!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,517
    Boat:
    Montauk
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    Niiiice fish. See 2spd 40# setups can be great too! Can’t wait to hang a good one on my 25NLD2

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. sdchronix

Ratings:
    +256
    It was a lot of fun, but really kicked my ***. If it wasn't for Jake I highly doubt I would have been able to land that fish. Although I never handed it off or had him touch it other than the line. Rail helped clearly ..... I'm told this will probably ruin me for awhile if not forever.

9. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,445
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Hey great job on the 40lb... sounded like that fish was pissed off. I’m surprised the deckhand actually fed line... means that all your gear was set correctly the fish was just going that hard.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. sdchronix

Ratings:
    +256
    Thanks! He was barely putting any pressure, just didn't feel comfortable bumping the drag past strike. Probably could have a bit, but I'm sure they wanted to land that first fish. I know I sure did haha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,445
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Something I dislike about the bluefin fishery... people look at the counts and don’t realize you are fishing for a limit of 2 instead of 5. On top of all that you are fishing as light as possible... makes for a finicky fishery.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. sdchronix

Ratings:
    +256
    I can definitely appreciate that! But I have noticed that you're right about people not realizing it's a limit of 2.

13. JetLife

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +194
    Right on man... I just bought that same phenix rod and I'm glad to see it can handle good sized bft

14. ironmike

ironmike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Name:
    Ironmike
    They have to give the fish to other passengers, if they hook more than 2...

15. sdchronix

Ratings:
    +256
    Yup I know, 2 limit per day. he handed off his 2nd and 3rd. Might have handled his 4th or 5th on his own, but I think he passed all 4 and only handled one himself.

Although he could have practiced catch and release if he wanted to haha

16. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,976
    Great pictures and great trip for sure. Congratulations to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +257
    Nice fish...but that bow area looks like a pain if you wanted the throw iron.