Big Fishing Trip in 2019 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by kyle12345, Jul 9, 2018.

1. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,545
    Name:
    Kyle
    Dear SDFish Community

Right now in 2018 I am out of cash for trips due to pricey bills that came up so I will be doing 1/2 days and a few full days.. That being said in 2019 I am looking at taking a big trip (not a 14 day level, but something like 5 days or under). Knowing my level (1 year into saltwater), what would you all recommend? My top level gear is a 50 pounder, I assume I probably rent out some bigger gear at this point.

How many days do you recommend I go out, 2.5, 3.5, more? I would like to catch Dorado, decent sized BFT, Yellowfin (doesn't have to be cows) and more importantly take my skills to another level. I assume fall is the best time of year. I am not as interested in yellowtail, bass, since I have been lucky enough to catch some in the Nados/locally.

I also thought about Alaska, but I heard reeling up big halibut is like reeling up a big mat and not that interesting and I know the salmon run is not what it used to be.

If anyone has other ideas, please feel free to share, thank you very much!

-Kyle

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,120
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    If it is the fight you want , Billfish and rooster fish in Costa Rica . Inexpensive , lots of fish !

3. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,796
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    If it were me, I’d go on the absolute longest trip I can afford. Hop on a long range trip down to Guadelupe or Alijos and make some memories. That’s what I would wanna do eventually. Otherwise you can’t really go wrong with just about any multi day trip in late summer or fall.

4. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,492
    theres no huge difference from a 1 day vs a 5 day, its actually easier on the longer trips. Go for the longest trip you can afford on a good boat. Like I said, Islander, Pac Queen, Searcher, Vagabond, etc...
    You have the skill set & you will be fine!!!
    Ive just done local skiff trips with my old-man & a few overnight / full day trips before I did my first 5 day to Guadalupe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,333
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    If it were me and you weren't on a meat trip, I would hit the gulf coast of Florida.. take some decent poppers with you (mail them ahead), Uber around to the various cuts and jetties/bridges, fish dawn and dusk, catch fish till your arms fall off.. will all be jacks, trout, lady fish, mid size cuda.. sharks, Goliath's, and other vermin optional.. loads of fun, sand, scenery, and the Mrs can lay out on the beach and relax .. wine n dine for about half the price here after the sun goes down, nap mid day... If you want wahoo and tuna.. uncle sam bank and alijos call...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,907
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Whatever you decide on just be aware if it's anything longer than a 2.5 day you are going to have to book it way in advance. Call whatever boat you are interested in and ask when they release next year's schedule. Typically the sponsored charters will be listed as well. If i was gonna do a 3-5 day I would try to get on a seeker sponsored trip or something like that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  7. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,545
    Name:
    Kyle
    Thank you guys! Really appreciate the insight. Has anyone ever gone fishing out of the keys on the Yankee Captain?

8. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,796
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Well I cancelled my spot on my seeker sponsored 3 day on the Chief recently because of money issues, but if i were you I’d definitely look into that, especially with the mass of fish close to home right now.

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,333
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  10. gleaves

gleaves Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Kyle: answered you flat fall ? in another post about my big blue fin I got.

Coastguard rules and permits: vessels are limited on how far south they can go. The more safety equipment and size allows some to go farther ( tip of baja) while others might be limited to 100 miles. This is why you will see some vessels only do day to 2 day trips, others 3 days max, so on and so forth and then others doing 5 to 16 day ( called "long range" vessels).

Trips on "long range" vessels book up early. I prefer them as the quality of fishing goes up and also allows for one day of poor fishing to be poor but have other days be better and make an overall good trip. Ex: save $ and do one 3 day trip verse 3 "overnight" trips. You also find the level of fishing experience can be higher meaning not as many people doing the wrong thing making fishing tougher for all. Do not let the lack of experience stop you from doing a long range trip. The crew and fellow fisherman( most) are there to help you learn.

There are basically "open party" trips where the vessel owners book the spots ( online website or thru a landing) or they are "charter" trips where an individual, not part of the vessel/landing, is in charge of the trip. Sometimes you will find a "charter trip" but the vessel/landing also fills in some open spots.

Some trips are very hard to get on unless someone drops out who went the year before. Many vessels give preference to those who went the previous year and say something like if you want to guarantee next years trip, you have a month or 3 to send me $ before I start to release spots to the general public. I often put down money for the following years trip before I even walk off the vessel each year.

Other trips are "charters" where an individual has paid the whole cost for the boat and that person( called the charter master) decides who is going on the trip and also the cost of the trip since they have already paid for the whole boat. If they do it right, they may fish for free and do all the work filling the trip but then they can also eat money if they do not fill all spots

Many of these "charters" have had the same group of fisherman for 20+ or more years and the vessels usually give them the same dates each year year after year. It can even be hard to "break into" a charter group as the same people will come back year after year.

So with that said, there is a difference as to how long the trip is. The captains go where the fish are but ........ The longer the trip allows the boat to go farther south down Baja and reach fish that are out of range of a shorter trip. 3 days does not allow you to go half way down Baja PLUS have much fishing time as much of the time is taken traveling down and back.

I love 10 days due to the sheer variety of fishing you get( wahoo, tuna, yellowtail, grouper, etc ) and the many spots you can hit up and down the whole length of Baja. Since $ is tight, I would say 5 to 6 day if possible and that will get you hooked.

Soo many good boats. Vagabond is the boat I always go on. Next April is the "Day at the Docks" and most boats have an "open house" where you can walk through them & ask questions. Check it out.

Sponsored trips. Many have sponsors that are promoting their fishing gear and there are freebies, raffles, etc. One that I stumbled on and now do as a regular trip is a 'PENN Fishing School" sponsored trip. Penn does these "schools" on many long range boats. Here is a link to check out https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/penn-fishing-reels-support/ that I hope the moderators do not get mad at. I do a 6 day on the Vagabond at the start of August each year with Penn. The Rep, Steve Carson, brings about 50 rod & reel setups of all kinds ( 20 lbs to 80 or 100 lbs) that are free to try out and use. There are also many gifts/prizes that are incredibly generous( 4 or 5 reels each trip) and I have taken home a Fathom 40 2 speed and another year a Penn 12 international 2 speed.

So start your research, save your $, plus many of the long range boats have heavy gear you can use/borrow for free or for a small charge for the trip. Have fun and save all your $ from small trips and use for big trips.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,545
    Name:
    Kyle
    Thank you for the in-depth reaponse, very helpful.

12. Bassmagnum

Bassmagnum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Name:
    Captain Ross E Mariano
    Your best bet to book a trip is at the Fred Hall shows. Little to late for this year since the shows are in March. You can meet and talk with the owners or captains and they usually have a reasonable discount when you book directly at the show. Don't know if it's in your price range but if you're looking at fishing from a destination check out Marla's in Puerto Vallarta. They run a great operation and like some have said if you bring your lady with you she can sun herself while you fish. As soon as you get back to your hotel you call room service order dinner and by the time you're done showering there's a knock on the door with your food that gets placed on your balcony table that's been dressed just like in the restaurant. Win win

13. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,793
    Name:
    Ray
    Just thought you may not have noticed the tread is a year old.

14. Bassmagnum

Bassmagnum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Name:
    Captain Ross E Mariano
    Lol

15. Bentover

Bentover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    If you look at the different prices for 1.5-3.5 day trips you will notice price/day is cheaper on the longer trips.
    Three 1.5 day trips cost more than one 3.5 day trip.