Bishop Trout Fishing: Report

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Bass Kid, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Bass Kid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,499
    Did my annual climbing trip to bishop for thanksgiving, but this time i carved out 1 day to fly fish. Wanted to go way up bishop creek into the mountains but the advice was to stay near town due to snow and water level. Fished a green rabbit hair midge with a green, fluorescent bead under a 2-3 leader to an indicator. Didn't fish 2 flys since I'm not great at this yet and having 2 flys is twice the chance to get stuck during a cast. I could see large schools of stocked trout in the pools and with 0 people around, it was a lot easier. Fished a stretch that was 300-400ft long and landed ~15 fish total for 2-3 hours. A local guide stopped by to check things out (gave me some pointers and took some photos instead of pulling his rod out) said that he averages 15-18 an hour, but i was happy with what i got. Biggest fish was maybe 13" most were 8-10"

IMG_E1305.JPG

IMG_1284.PNG

IMG_E1293.JPG

IMG_E2068.JPG

IMG_E2073.JPG

#1 Bass Kid, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Good to see from up there

3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,865
    Looks like a great trip. Two flies can definitely be fun, but also a head ache. How did you chose your fly?

A casting tip that may help: keep your elbow by your ribs and pivot your torso to cast. This anchors the fulcrum and conserves the energy in the fly line. Keeping your elbow close to your body, and always below your shoulder, will also prevent shoulder injuries.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Bass Kid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,499
    thanks for the tips, ive gotten a few over the past 2 trips. What worked the best was to keep the back 3/4 of the cast the same, but it was recommended that i stop my cast around 10-11 oclock and then slowly follow it down.

I watched the Fred Rowe from Sierra bright dot reports (just happened to be the guide that drove up on me an gave me the casting tips as well) and the brown and green midges were recommended. I got some of both and started with the green and never changed it bc i never lost it.

5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,857
    Name:
    Eric
    Good tips. I had a rotator cuff injury, my Physical Therapist also liked to fish. He mentioned the same, keep the elbow down and hands below the shoulder, for optimal rotator cuff health when casting.
    I've also read that with fly casting and shoulder problems, the higher level the flycaster, the higher up the problems/injuries are. Rookies use too much wrist, and hurt the wrist. Intermediate tend to have elbow issues. Master flycasters get shoulder/rotator cuff problems.

Probably why my wrist has been screwed up...low-level casting and too much wrist.

And a big takeaway...some proper technique, and stretching/strengthening routines for the shoulder can avoid alot of pain and problems.