Blowing up D&K!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by fisheromen, May 28, 2021.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,657
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm little reluctant to post this report, but all the lakes are producing right now. In fact a buddy of mine caught more than 10 times the number of fish I caught. (any guesses which lake?)

Back to D&K. I got there just as the gate was opening and was on the water about 20 minutes later. Had my limit before 7:00. 4 on a popper and one on a Dinger. I ended up with 9 at 11:00. Seven of those came on top. I caught 2 three-pounders which may have been the same fish. Which brings me to this: I am considering going barbless. I have been seeing some pretty beat up fish! It seems, to me, that there are some fish that cannot resist lures and consequently get caught several times every week. I have already gone barbless in the Bay just for ease in releasing those *****ly critters.

My 3 pounder. (spawned out?)
    001.JPG

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,657
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Got censored: p-r-i-c-k-l-y!

On closer examination I did not catch the same fish twice. The second one was in much worse shape.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,730
    I always go barbless. On my worm and creature baits, drop shot hooks are easy to get out

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Could just keep a limit... Nice fish

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,657
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I get confused on this subject! A buddy just caught 235 Bass in one day where C&R is the Law! Healthy fish too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    In the lab, the best success they can achieve is about a 5% death rate with CnR from what I read, and in reality, TPR says that around 40% or so of all tournament bass suffer mortality.. so your buddy (if the numbers are to be believed) probably killed anywhere from 3-10 limits or so.... IF they only can get it down to one fish in twenty in full lab conditions being killed during C/R, with those fish not removed from the water etc, being fully revived, blah blah blah, what does that say about a fish that may have been tossed through the air, punched in the face, had a 6/0 EWG driven through the forehead, etc...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,694

Do a lot of them that kick the bucket sink to the bottom? There certainly aren't that percentage of floaters, or dead fish lying on the shore unless there has been a die-off from other causes. I know scavengers will eat them but that doesn't appear to account for that much hidden fish mortality because they don't get them right away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    After San V opened, I heard about many many bass laying dead all over the bottom of the lake, I personally saw quite a few even a month or two later, laying on bottom by the launch ramp and docks...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,694
    Maybe a bass that is struggling down there is going to get eaten by a big fish before it even dies too.

10. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,969
    Busted, *****ly still counts as a sin; it's the thought that counts. Although I am not really sure what ***** is but I know you must be hiding something. Next time, at least just use one * to get by the censor. Thanks in advance.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,657
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pretty sure this is an attempt at humor, but you do know that the asterisks are supplied by the site software, right? I mean I have to say wire cutters instead of ****s!

12. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,969
    If you put your own asterisks in, it fools the system. So just say d*kes, assuming you are referring to wire cutters or Dutch levees.

13. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,303
    Floaters at San V were from being pulled out from really deep water too quickly & not fizzed when released, had nothing to do with anything else besides air bladder expansion.....
    Legit tourney fish sitting in a bag while waiting to get weighed vs c&r are totally 2 different things.....
    That being said most legit bass fisherman & tournament anglers will do what-ever it takes to get fished released safely.....
    Nothing harmful about a few bass sitting in a functioning fish hold / live well......

#13 Slater, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  14. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    This according to wiki... Not that there is any reason to believe me anyways, since I am such a pathological liar in general.. feel free to look any of it up, yourself, Slater

Screenshot_2021-05-28-22-16-35-939_com.android.chrome.jpg

15. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  16. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Boat:
    Yes
    Good day for you fisheromen Glad you caught a bunch! Thanks for the report and pics. I'm heading out there this morning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. andrew pate

andrew pate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65
  18. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,505
    What's the lake record at Barrett? Didn't they do a cull a few years ago and the quality of the bass increased?

Me thinks this is what the debate boils down to. Quantity vs quality.

19. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,224
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Agree! Where's all the dead fish??? Any time I've seen a major fish kill on a lake or pond, those fish eventually floated up and ended up on the shore! Up to 40% of C+R and tournament fish die..I'm calling more BS studies from pinhead scientists!!! Show me the fish!!! Barrett would be covered with dead fish if it was true! Where's all the dead fish at Vicente from the tournaments??? Water visibility is 20'...don't see them laying on the bottom!! Do they only sink to the deepest part of the lake..must be alot of 500lb blue cats in the bottom of San V..Don't see the bass floating!! Don't see them on the shore..the coyotes are pretty dam skinny for supposedly eating thousands of dead fish! Where did the scientists do their studies..in a 30 gallon aquarium??? I don't want to read anymore highly educated studies..if I want to read BS, I'll read all the Covid studies from the past year! Remember the don't touch anything studies, you'll get covid..or don't fish or go to the beach, you'll get covid??? Most scientific studies already have a pre determined outcome because of the scientist's moral, monetary or political bias! SHOW me the dead fish...were they buried by their fellow fish? Sucked up from the surface by UFOs? I believe most people and animals eventually float to the surface after dying for a period of time...even a freakin whale floats up!! I fish 100 days a year, saw one dead carp in the last year...show me the dead bass! I want visual evidence..not more studies! Not more government funded environmental studies! And no, I don't fish tournaments and I have kept hundreds of fish in my life..no bias here!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Well, mcfish , good to know those fish live forever and never even die on their own (then they would float, and anglers would see them all the time). Kind of strange how these eternally living fish never seem to perish, despite somebody taking a 5-9' lever and slamming a piece of steel right into them somewhere, and winching them straight out of cover, slapping them into the side of boats etc, before getting punched, dragged across carpet, tossed in a box, hauled out in a bag and then weighed... Eventually being tossed back in the water some distance from wherever the home range of the fish was... How could it possibly be dangerous for a fishes' health? Wow, how amazing...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List