Bluefin heartbreak

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by F1$H, Oct 15, 2019.

1. F1$H

F1$H Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    My buddy from the Freedom boat was kind enough to invite me to go out with him on an offshore run. Made good time getting out there, water was glass calm. Looked round the 9 for a few hours, not one fish to be seen. Headed to the corner, and saw a few pattys that were empty. Finally found some boils between the 18 and the 9. Threw some dines to drift under a boil when our smallest rod starts screaming. What ensued was a tug of war between the 3 of us on the boat and a bluefin that was likley 200lb+. Long story short, we played him for four hours before loosing him at the boat. When he saw the gaff, he took off and bit through the line. The reel was a fathom 12 with 40lb braid and 25lb topshot, rod was some ancient glass yellowtail rod. It would have been a miracle if we got him, and we nearly did. Oh well. One day i will get one. Still an awesome day with weather to die for.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hell of a way to have a heartbreak.. that fish will be on your mind a LONG time.. lol.. congratulations

3. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +879
    that old yellow rod may have been a sabre or calstar westcoast, they're not running from any tuna.