Bluefin, Why an 80# rig and 100#+ rig?

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Everydog, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    What's the purpose of having both? What would one do with the 80# rig that the 100# won't do?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,097
    A 16 size reel for 80# is lighter. Makes for dropping and cranking jigs down deep less of a chore. You can push a 16 size to fish 100# if you choose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,249
    Name:
    Alex
    To fill the gaps between your 60 and 130 pound rigs haha

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    O.k so, I have the raptor for 100 but my 80# reel is bigger, I guess I messed up!
    The reason is it's a TLD 30 with some massive frame and clamp, trick side plates, and overbuilt drags and stuff. Heavy.

The other thing, doesn't a person's strength to pull set an upper limit? I am not going to break the line unless there is a crap knot or nick in the line. I understand using a heavy leader to avoid the chew off.

Thanks

5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,294
    Name:
    Eric
    I have an 80 and 100. Mak 30 and mak 16. The 30 obvious has more capacity, also as mentioned weight is a solid difference. The 16 is more comfy to fish for extended amounts of time and less tiring on extended jigging.
    I wouldn't say you need both, the 100 can do everything the 80 can do and not necessarily vice versa.

But. I'm glad I have both. Already been in many situations in a hot bite where having a second rig is great. Those bigger fish hooked deep like to pickup everyone's jig in the vicinity whille they're hot. And when they go into circles at the end. Lots of insane spider web tangles with 10 jigs and 1000 total yards of braid.
    Already a couple times this year (and several last) a guy next to me hooks up and I'm instantly tangled with 500ft of line out. Cut it off, sacrifice the jig and hopefully save the guys fish. Backup rig is great to have on a 500$ trip where the fish bite for half an hour. If you're purposely fishing the big fish having 2 big rigs is a huge plus I think

And while there is a limit to what you can withstand pulling (80 vs 100), when the fish is at the end and its on the rail with a dechand or two helping add pressure and barely holding on to kill a monster, seems like every bit helps.

#5 Easy619, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,092
    The purpose of having an 80 & 100lb at night for me is to have both rigged up ready to go with two different size/style jigs ready instead of retying or dealing with split rings especially under the lights. In the day 80lb stays with jigs and 100lb gets a sinker rig. There is nothing really that my 80lb rig can do that my 100lb can't. 80lb reel is just a lot more comfortable to use like the guys said above. I'm headed out soon and I hope everything is on flyline this time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,441
    I have an 80lb rig that I am comfortable tying 100lb on if I need to, if I absolutely want a dedicated 100lb then I'll get another Mak16 and put it on a 100lb rod.

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    So these tips were helpful on my trip this week. Never thought about the heavy sinker rig... and the place for that was apparent. Also having two jigs tied on at night did give me more confidence that I didn't have to worry about a failure during a good bite on an expensive trip. I didn't catch any though. Only seven were caught for the entire 1.5-day trip but all were between 100 and 200lbs. One was caught on a heavy line sinker rig, the rest at night on jigs. Not a single fly line fish with boils all around the boat.

It's hard work no matter how you slice it, and that's not even catching a fish.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,294
    Name:
    Eric
    I had previously considered 80# to be more appropriate for sinker rig, but 100# sinker rig has been doing alot of damage for the fleet this year.
    Those big fish boiling will drive you nuts...won't a bait fished on heavy enough line to land them. Some guys go lighter and get bit...and then spooled or chewed off or hook straightened. The challenge bluefin present makes it all the more rewarding to get them. Also makes for some tough trips, but hey thats the game.

What boat did you fish? I'm thinking about getting out again next week, gotta make a decision quick while there is still some spots open..

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    I was on the Legend. Going with them again on July 1.
    The bait was amazing too. big good swimmers mostly. Made the suffering and wanting all the worse!

Maybe you saw the thread where fat spotty was talking about putting a lighter line on a big reel? I was about to do that with my Fathom 60. I think it has a ton of 80# braid, so I could go with a 40 lb top shot and then use either a 30 or 40-pound leader. It has been my sinker rig reel with 60# topshot. Last year I got a biggish one to bite on the Fathom40 with a 30-pound leader and it was about to spool me in no time, I had no choice but to try to put pressure and snap! I am not a great fish fighter and I was brand new to lever drags, so maybe someone would have gotten that fish though I think the line was pretty near chewed off before it broke. Deckhand said the school was 90-pounders. Nobody had had a bite for hours, so I tried it.

11. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    My 100# is for big opaleye, deep water lizardfish and bluegill. 30# of drag sometimes not enough

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,092
    Everydog,
    I was on yesterday's overnight on the Pacifica and had the same result. I fished hard using the 5 setups I had(25 &40 flyline, 60lb sniper, 80 & 100lb rigs), but it didn't happen for me either. Boat went 4 for 5, the only loss was to a quick bite off coltsniper in the day. Three were landed at night on jigs and one daytime on a sinker rig.. Anglers and crew on the 80-160lb BFT got them on deck with no problem. Captain stayed out as long as he could. We tied up at 7;45pm with the next trip scheduled to leave at 8:00pm.

Easy619,
    Buddy and I were concerned about the moon phase, but our schedules don't allow us to be picky so we went. I can tell you we fished two different banks looking for biting fish. Fish were everywhere really. Lots of sonar stops at night and lots of stops on 100lb+ breaking fish in the day.

#12 Deep color, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  13. Bullyo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +252
    Don't use 80 at night. Ask me how I know .....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,294
    Name:
    Eric
    Looked like much of the fleet had a rough go that day.. So it goes sometimes. You might be right about the moon, seems like new moon is usually the best, but I might be wrong about that. But like you said, trying to chase the perfect conditions and match them with availability to fish can leave little options. Often it seems like any given day could be a bust or straight mayhem. So like you I mostly just fish when I want/can. Bluefin fishing is so hit or miss, just part of the game. I blanked on the San Diego a couple weeks ago, and got a limit on the Pacifica the week before that. Feast or Famine..

I booked the Tribute for a 1.5 next week. Going out of town on vacation in a couple weeks, so next week was pretty much my only chance for a month or so. Getting my gear ready to go today, getting psyched..

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    Good luck, Easy619, Today's counts don't look good. A decent tuna, maybe over 100 pounds was supposed to be kind of a bucket list thing for me. To be honest I am thinking about scratching it! I'll do the 2.5 as scheduled though.
    After that, the 1-day hopefully the 1 trips will be heating up....will still be hit and miss though.

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    For what I have spent on multi-day trips I think I could have rented a helicopter and gone out with some flying fish and caught one from the air.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Are you saying 100#+?

18. Bullyo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +252
    absolutely. Somewhere in the eastern pacific there is a cow+ swimming around with 600 yards of 80lb spectra and my new knife jig

19. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,294
    Name:
    Eric
    I can understand that sentiment, having been on a bit of a crusade for a triple digit myself thr last couple years. Having struck out a few times, more than a few limits on 30-80lb grade, and having seen many a people get their first tuna ever (and it's 150lbs), there is definitely an element of luck on hooking a big one.

Trips (and gear) are expensive, no doubt, but in my eyes just having the opportunity to fish these things out offshore is amazing. Growing up in Michigan fishing freshwater, having never fished salt until 5 or 6 years ago, it still blows my mind fighting these fish and just seeing them in person.
    Enjoy the journey my friend. These bluefin won't be here forever in all likelihood. 40-60lbers are still amazing fish. If and when that big fish comes, it will truly be a fish of a lifetime.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,746
    Talk about luck. On my first trip, about 15 big kite fish were caught. My turn was up and it got dark. Another good kite fish trip, my turn was up and the guy before me got the last bite or the entire trip!

There was an 80-year-old guy on last week's trip out there putting in time on the rail two nights in a row. Really nice guy.
    That was one of the coolest things I've seen. Not biters for him, unfortunately.