bluegill

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by mlfisherman, Sep 30, 2012.

1. mlfisherman

mlfisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My dad and I are taking my 5 year old nephew fishing and I was wondering where some good bluegill spots are? We just want to take him someplace where we can get him some bites.

2. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,127
    If you live up in the north county or even if you dont try Harveston Lake in Temecula. This man made lake has been a hot spot for gills all summer long. Its a great spot to take Kids fishing. there are no fees. Good Luck.

3. CatfishRuss

CatfishRuss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Where do you live I'll give you detailed info on a hot spot or 2.

4. mlfisherman

mlfisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    east county

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Lake Murray :mrgreen:

Murray gills 10-7.png

SC20121014-111022.png

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Wow, that's an impressive haul. Some good ones too!

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks :) Murray is an awesome fishery! In the past 2 weekends we haven't caught any under .50! These go up to 2lbs. Last week it was me and my girlfriend. Her nephews wanted togo this week. They actually caught most of them and it was the lil girls first time fishing! :mrgreen: I didn't get a chance to fish for two hours! They kept me pretty busy, but that was my goal to put them on fish. They were getting broke off alot too, so I was re-tying alot. It's been a few years since I've fished Murray. My favorite lake is closed :cry: San V. Otay is another awesome lake! My buddy calls me Mr. Bluegill because I have alot of days like these. I actually prefer to fish for bass. I just don't get to fish much anymore because of my schedule.

8. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,054
  9. David McGraw

David McGraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's awesome! Were you guys using live bait? I'm glad the family had a good time. Sometimes it's the sacrifice we have to make to ensure our "nonregular" fisher-family have a good time.

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks :) nightcrawlers. I'll sacrifice my Fishing time always to put kids on fish! It's always a blast to see their faces as they're catching them. Plus the excitement they feel is priceless! I've been telling them one day I'm gonna take them to catch big gills,they had no idea what was instore :mrgreen: I wish I had time to fish more often. People usually don't believe me when I say I catch big gills all the time. Thanks to an old friend I learned how to locate big pan fish. :wink:

11. David McGraw

Ratings:
    +0
    I almost have given up hoping for any size here. I've caught nice ones in Missouri, Florida, Virgina, and North Carolina, but not really here. I love fishing for them on fly rod poppers but I have yet to be in the right place or time here. Those kind of memories stick with kids forever. I still remember my first fish at age 5

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Giving kids that experience that they will always remember is great! After this they told me it was the best day of their fall break. That meant alot to me that I could make them that happy catching fish. I have two boys and they love to fish because I try to keep them on fish big or small as long as they get bites. Before I had kids, I took some of the neighbors kids to Barrett. They would always see me with fish, and asked me to take them Fishing. I had booked a res. Prior to them asking. I talked to the parents and off we went. They are all grown now and still talk about our day on the water :mrgreen: I think we got 78 bass between the three of us. And that was their first Fishing experience. I just love seeing kids catch um :mrgreen: don't give up on the fish they are here in our lakes, really good ones too. State record bluegill was caught on a crawdad at Murray this year, 4.25lbs! The lady just didn't care to claim it from what I was told. Go over to Otay and look through the pictures they have. Miramar is another great lake with big gills too.

13. creeker1

creeker1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Man, I think the water level at Murray must have dropped a foot after you hauled all those out! :shock: Nice!

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Lol, thanks. I'm gonna see if I can lower the water level a Lil more this weekend. Although Otay is very tempting too! Hey David, have you ever heard of Richmond Mills lake in NC?

15. David McGraw

Ratings:
    +0
    Dragonfly, I hadn't until I googled it just now..Looks like a great place! I wind up at Bragg pretty often, so I hope I get a chance to see it for myself!

16. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Just want to chime in too. San Diego has some monster gills and red ears, some of the biggest anywhere. Trouble is most people get distracted by the easy to catch hand size versions. I have made jumbo gills and red ears a passion. Add crappie to the mix to round it all out and you have fun and good eats. Plus when you find them you can have a blast for hours.
    Just curious did you need a boat for Murray?

17. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Richmond mills is an awesome fishery! If you actually get a chance to fish it you're lucky. It's c&r only, they accidentally came upon world class gills trying to build a world class bass lake,lol. :mrgreen:

18. jimeisaac

jimeisaac Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If a boat is required we can use mine.

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Roy you are right we have some amazing pan fish,bass, and catfish! I have had some days when 2lb redear and crappie were not uncommon. I have a palm size rule :D not bigger than my palm not gonna keep it. I throw all my bass back too :mrgreen: I pretty much grew up Fishing Otay. Always in a boat.or float tube. That lake can really spoil you, Monster gills! come to think of it Hodges too! I was cranking for bass at Hodges(mid 90S) caught a 3.70 crappie! Took it back to get weighed. a young guy was attending the dock and told me it wasn't uncommon to catch crappie that big here,so no big deal! He also told me there were even bigger ones! I had no idea, I only fished for bass at that time. I told my buddy and he flipped!! He said that was a record and where's the fish? I told him I released it. He couldn't believe it, and asked why I did that? I'm a c&r guy I told him and he said not crappie! Come to find out it was lake record! I had no idea and believed the lake guy :? I didn't take pictures back then,unless it the was by a lake staff. I only fish from shore if that's all that's allowed. Like Santee lakes.

20. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    In just a couple years I will be taking my two grandsons fishing and will be in need of this info. Bluegill are a great training fish, and do not allow boredom! I especially want to bobber fish with them! Nothing more exciting for a kid... or for an adult.