bluegill

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by mlfisherman, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    So Dragonfly, did you fish Murray from a boat or from shore? I would love to try it but sold my boat a few years ago and must now rent or prowl the shoreline. With concessions limited my fishing has been also. Need some tips on Murray please.

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Roy always in a boat. now the water temp is cooling it's gonna be harder to get the big ones. They move into open water and are very skittish. I went yesterday to see if they are still there but I couldn't find any big ones. All I got were less than a 1lb. I didn't keep any,wanna let those grow for the spring :wink: maybe we can get together and rent a boat in the late spring. That's when I have my best days. I know that's far off but this is really late now to get the good ones. October is always my last month to try, then I switch gears and target big bass :mrgreen: if you like pm me,I'll give you my #.

3. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Dragonfly, these are a few of my better panfish.
    ahavasuredear2.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    redear-1.jpg
    bigbear2045.jpg
    redear.jpg
    FISH001.jpg

4. David McGraw

David McGraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Man, I have a severe case of fish envy...geez.

5. jimeisaac

jimeisaac Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Reminds me of a couple of years ago when a guy from YBM was in town on business. It is really kinda strange, he frequents YBM but he lives in SE Minn. I took him to San Vicente on a Panfish expedition. He could not believe his eyes!

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    those are some good fish there Roy, nice pics! i wish i took more pics of fish ive caught. im always too excited to get the next one :wink:

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    my favorite lake, san v! ive had a ton of great days on that lake. my pb redear was a 3 lber there. that gave my kencor a serious workout! i can't imagine what a 5 pulls like. pound for pound redear have to be one of the best! i always know a redear hook up, zzzzzzzz!Man i miss fishing San V. there are monsters in that lake!

8. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Dragonfly, most of my best redears came from San V and BTW I don't know if you noticed my kencor in one of the pictures?

My best fish come from 20-40 feet down around the island and back in Kimball

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That would be the areas at San V! the chimney and a couple other areas too. That sounds right though Roy. problem now is learning where they'll be when they reopen. :? I think your kencor was the first thing I noticed,sorry. I have a real thing for these rods! :mrgreen: Im still on the hunt for another sp4 or sp5. I really feel its key in catching the big ones. They hit ever so lightly most times,the ultra sensitive rod feels everything. My buddy got me hooked on kencor. He would catch twice the fish I would and he said it was the kencor, and it was! Started fishing those rods and wow! Sounds like you and I have the potential to put some nice fish in the boat :wink:

10. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    It definitely seems we have a lot in common. I found that fishing deep that the only indication of a bite was when the tip would just dip slowly almost imperceptibly. Without the Kencor it would be difficult to detect those takes. Once I get hooked up the fish just can't break off even on light line because the rod is like a noodle. What a blast.

11. Horsemaster

Horsemaster Member

Ratings:
    +3
    what exactly is a kencor rod? is it a custom built rod or you can you buy one from say cabeleas?

12. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +111
    No, Kencor was just a rod brand that went out of business. They weren't a big brand like a Shimano or Daiwa, but you could find them pretty easily, even at "mainstream" stores like Sport Chalet. They were best known for their light/ultralight rods (at least that's what I always think of).

13. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Funny you nention Sport Chalet, I read that the owner of kencor was driven out of business by Sport Chalet and Turners because they didn't pay him for the rods they sold. The owner apparently still has one distributor left as he closed out the rest.
    Kencor made super whippy rods in various sizes. I saw no usefulness in big salt water size rods in ultra whippy, bu the 4' one piece is, was, awesome for crappie and big gills.

14. gascon

gascon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I saw last Saturday at Turners on Clairemont Mesa blvd. a Kencor on sale for $79.00. It is a 5' ultra light (orange color) in 3 pcs. Probably their last one.

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Kencor was a small rod manufacturer. I've spoken to one of the guys who still had the last of what's really left,basically saltwater rods now. Nice to hear Turners had one 5' pack rod Gascon. Roy I'm really in search of a sp4( 4 footer). This is the preferred rod. I went to Otay today, got a late start :| I really wanted to teach my girlfriend how to use a baitcaster. We fished for bass mostly. Knowing it's Otay I had to get a few gills :mrgreen: and we did. .5 lbs to 1lb. Not alot but enough and went back to bass. It was cool my girlfriend got the baitcaster down and even picks out her backlashes :) next week I think I'm going to Morena :mrgreen:

16. Harout

Harout New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Name:
    Harout
  17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,466
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I love your passion for old glass, do note this thread is over eight years old...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    But I believe Roy is still around. There were a couple of Kencor rods at a Pawn Shop here in Ramona. The reel seat and handle said salt to me, but they were like long noodles. A matched pair. Somebody finally bought them.

19. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Several years ago I bought 3 Kencors when they were going out of business for dirt cheap. One of my fav's is the one piece 4 footer orange, glass trout/crappie rod. As Roy said above they are very whippy and just keep bending till the tip can almost touch the butt. Great rods so grab one if you can find it and alot better than the Turner California rods that look much the same but can take a set if left leaning in a corner too long. I also have a Wright/McGill 5 ft, two piece, orange, glass rod that has the same characteristic as the Kencor. I bought two for $10 apiece, gave one away to a friend and the other is brand new and never used along with lots of other fishing "stuff" in my garage.