Boat launch SD bay

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Peter86, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Peter86

Peter86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Name:
    Peter J Sandoval
    I was going to go to the lake but now I'm thinking of taking my inflatable boat out on San Diego bay. I was just wondering where can I launch and what would be the best place to launch?

0718200717_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,852
    Boat:
    Montauk
    I'd go with Glorietta Bay ramp.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,172
    I’d second Glorietta.. it’s kinda like a lake out there once you’re launched. Good place to stay out of trouble with the inflatable and catch some fish at the same time..

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. cavedog619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    I'll third Glorietta and offer up Liberty Station as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Swgityswag

Swgityswag Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +598
    I might be dumb but was wondering with that kind of set up couldn't you take the inflatable out to the open ocean? Heard it gets pretty glassy once you get pass the breakers?

6. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +598
    Lol I was actually seriously wondering if it can be done. But judging by the response I think the answer is a no then lmao? Was wondering bc I see kayakers out there pretty frequently and a inflatable with a motor should be able to do the same thing?

7. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,957
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Yeah I wouldn’t go out to the ocean with a float tube. Getting past the breakers on it will be a bit of a challenge. Then once you’re out there it can be pretty choppy and the current can get strong. Also I personally don’t feel comfortable in a float tube with makos and white sharks out there. I mean the odds of you getting attacked are very slim but if they see you reeling in easy prey..... watch out! If you really wanted to use the tube out there, I’d fish outside of La Jolla. Seems like it is calmest out there but I’m not sure how close to shore you can legally get. Also lots of sharks in that area. Lol bottom line in my opinion, don’t use the tube in the ocean.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +598
    Ya that make sense lol, saw a couple YouTubers do it but it certainly doesn't sound smart now lol thanks man!

9. Peter86

Peter86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Name:
    Peter J Sandoval
    Yea........ Wasnt fun lol.. I gave up... I guess ill keep it for now.... On a side note wife now approves of getting an actual boat if i getting my expedition going. So thats a win in my bbook!

10. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +598
    The inflatable in the bay wasn't good either lol?

11. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    You don't have enough power to go in the ocean with that boat, wind/current could pick up and your motor may not be able to keep up with it. It would feel like trying to swim up a river. Kayaks are very sleek and actually pretty fast, but even kayaks in the big bay when your going against current and the wind at the same time is a heck of a work out at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +598
    Got it thanks! Have seen a couple kayakers out in the open ocean tho what are your thoughts on those?

13. Calicokiller

Calicokiller Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Name:
    Roberto
    It all depends on how big your nuts are.... I ran into probs my first time outa the bay in the sea and thas in a new Mako. Can only imagin how somethin like that will float out ther lol

14. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    There are lots of guys who regularly catch great fish in la Jolla from Kayaks that they launch at the LJ shores. But honestly you need to work up to it. You should also practice with wind forecasting tools, cuz thats the biggest factor in getting your *** kicked on the water. Start in the bays, and get your strength up. And especially fish the big bay on a day where you have a big tide swing so you can see how fast you go with the tide and how much slower you go when tide and wind are against you. That should put it into perspective.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,071
    You can skip the boat ramps and launch from shore lots of different places around San Diego Bay and Mission. Just get some wheels. Not sure what motor size and battery size you have but the currents in San Diego Bay can get pretty swift. Can imagine a small trolling motor going no where fast.