boat recomendations

Discussion in 'Boating & Boat Maintenance' started by saltysocal, Oct 21, 2018.

1. saltysocal

saltysocal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Does anyone have any boat recommendations for fishing the bays, kelpbeds, and maybe the islands. I've been looking at he forums and the Boston Whalers has been a popular choice but it is kinda pricey. Also how much does it really cost to own a boat and is it worth investing in one ?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,802
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  3. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    What do you have to tow with?
    Do you have storage (i.e., yard or driveway space)?
    Are you mechanically inclined / have tools / place to work on / maintain it?
    How many people you plan on going out with at on time?
    Looking to do freshwater also, or just salt?
    What's your budget? Both initial and ongoing maintenance?
    Is your wife/GF/whomever cool with you taking a mistress?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +62
    yes, I do have storage
    some what crafty with the tools
    I plan on take 2-4 max out to the kelp beds and islands maybe
    mostly salt water
    looking for the best bang for the buck
    yes the mistress is cool with letting the wife ride along once in a while ahaha ;)

So i've been doing some researched on the skiff and the 2 materials are fiberglass and aluminium what is the difference in maintenance and longevity?

5. Erik L

Erik L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +225
    You're going to want a fiberglass boat with a four stroke outboard. If you pick up something in the 18 foot range you can expect to spend about $30-60 per trip on fuel fishing locally (probably on the low end). It costs about $60 in supplies to do a 100 hour service yourself but if you pay someone to do it it's going to cost $200-300. So, if you fish for 10 hours a trip, figure an extra $6 per trip for scheduled maintenance if you do it yourself or $20-30 per trip if you're paying someone to do it. Trailers are always having issues (especially older ones) so you're going to want to consider that cost. The bigger the boat the more expensive it gets to run and the farther you go, the more gas is going to cost. I fished San Clemente Island on my buddy's 24 foot center console recently and we burned 77 gallons of fuel (over $250). On my old 18 footer I used to be able to fish Clemente on 35 gallons (less than half the cost). Insurance, vessel assist, etc is going to cost you about $50 per month.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +62
    15 ft skiff vs 18ft skiff does does the 3 extra feet really take the difference ? Also what would they be capable off kelpbeds, paddy hopping, islands?

7. agrazela

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Aluminum is lighter, requires less motor (and thus less fuel), and (in general) is less expensive to maintain.

Fiberglass will (in general) give a better ride that “cuts” wake and swell. Assuming a vee hull, of course. Downside is that glass boats can have a lot more “hidden issues” like core and transom rot.

15’ vs 18’ will be night and day as far as how it handles chop and how many people you can fit. In any case, unless you’re just bottom fishing, no way will more than 2 adults be able to comfortably fish a 15’, maybe 3 on an 18’

18’ (in glass) is about the largest that will fit on a single axle trailer and not legally require trailer brakes...important from a maintenance cost aspect. Also about the largest that can be easily handled solo. I wouldn’t consider paddy hopping / islands in anything less than a 17-18’ vee Hull fiberglass.

And speaking of trailer, get galvanized. Definitely.

Don’t count out DFI 2-strokes (ETEC or 2006+ Optimax)

You still haven’t told us your budget.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +62

I'm looking to do 10k or less for everything. I'm looking into a either a Carolina skiff j17, a mako proskiff 17, or a Older 80's or 90's montuak or dauntless. Any thoughts on the boats on im interested in ?? Also I'm having trouble figuring out the insurance situation, what is the significance with having a boat under 21 ft ? THANKS !!

9. Larry Williams

Ratings:
    +6
    If you are interested I have a 21 foot SeaSwirl very capable off shore for sale in the 12k range

10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    If you're thinking about Whalers, you may want to include their Outrage model in your search if you're looking primarily for a fishing boat. Occasionally you'll see a mid-80's 18 footer on Craigslist or Boatrader that might be in your price range. Some consider them one of the better "big" little boats in handling characteristics, capabilities, design, etc. (Then again, I'm slightly partial).

As an example, here's one that's available in Santa Ana:

upload_2018-10-29_8-59-38.png

Used 1981 Boston Whaler Outrage 18, Santa Ana, Ca - 92705 - BoatTrader.com

(probably could talk him down a bit on asking price IMO)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. agrazela

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    IMO the older, smaller Whalers are overhyped (except the Outrage) and almost always overpriced. Actually, personally, I don't like any of those small "skiff" style, snub-nosed, flat-ish bowed Montauk-clone boats for anything but the bays...they ride wet and "poundy" and they just don't cut the waves very well. Give me a Grady- / Parker-style hull with some Carolina flare any day!

Also, I'd go with an old-school carbed 2-stroke before I went for an early-gen (say, pre-2006 Merc Optimax or Evinrude FICHT) DFI 2-stroke.

12. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +62
    What do you mean buy the Carolina flare? Also why go with a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke ?

13. agrazela

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    "Carolina flare" is a sharp entry with a slightly convex vertical profile on each side:
    attachment.jpg
    Google it up, you'll recognize what it means.

Wasn't advocating old 2-strokes over new 4-strokes, was saying that I'd go with an old-school, proven reliable 2-stroke over an early- / first- generation DFI 2-stroke time bomb...such as what's on that 1981 Outrage, and thus likely why it's so (relatively) cheap!

4-strokes are great. Except maybe for their weight. Which can be an issue in the size of boat the OP is looking for.

14. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Lots of variables and trade-offs...
    Is it a spray rail, reverse chine or lifting strake? (Or all three?) On mine, uniquely known as the "smirk." :emoji_wink:

upload_2018-10-29_15-22-39.png

At rest, a deep V is less stable... Not an efficient use of bow space either. No dispute though on cutting thru a sloppy chop -- a V is smoother. Grady's are awesome -- and you'll pay a pretty penny for a well-kept used one.

Here's a good, explanatory video on hull design and physics:

Eric Sorensen describes the design behind Grady White boats

15. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +62

How come there are not many aluminum boats in sourthern California are they really that undesirable ?

16. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Good question... Go up to the PNW and you see 'em all over the place. Maybe someone with a Valco or Baja Runner will chime in.

17. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I’ve spent many, many, many days at the wheel of Whaler Montauks and Outrages. There’s plenty of great options around that 17-21ft range as far as center consoles go. I would personally go with fiberglass for numerous reasons.

18. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
    This is great - exactly the kinds of things I've been wondering about. I don't have the space, but I can dream (or make friends with a boat owner... know any? )

From the research I've done, the older Outrages seem like pretty good bang for the buck as long as they've been reasonably maintained.

19. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +62
    just wondering what are your reasons for going with a fiberglass boat vs aluminum ?

20. agrazela

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Aluminum in the PNW is “traditional” because hydroelectric power (for welding) is cheap there. Also a lot of rocky shoreline up there that can tear up fiberglass.

Aluminum is more common in Baja (vs Norte) probably because operating costs are lower.