Boating accident at El Capitan?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Jul 31, 2014.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Man! I hear this! Crazy!

2. TheBakerManCann

Ratings:
    +6
    Memorial.jpg Memorial1.jpg Looking West down the narrows.

Memorial2.jpg
    Looking East at Conejos.

Photos taken at 7:05 pm.

3. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    City Ranger as far as I know don't have police authority to write tickets for speed, you actually need to be a peace officer to do that I'm pretty sure. Now they can have people kicked out for speed or any other park violation, but actual police work needs to be done by either SDPD, Sheriff or the Fish & Game officers.

4. CaliGirl

CaliGirl Member

Ratings:
    +20
    many thanks to all who gave their insight about fishing speeds, ticketing and enforcement. In the wake of the unimaginable
    ,I was trying to make sense of my nephew's senseless death. but after I visited ElCap yesterday, I realized that rangers already have their hands full, safety warnings are already clearly posted and, in the end, it comes down to individual responsibility. I cannot express how deeply touched and helped my family is by the outpouring of support for Jeff, and Russ. As time goes on, please continue to share their story so that people will keep safety in the forefront of their mind while they enjoy that beautiful, peaceful lake.

5. Old Chum

Old Chum Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The City does not make money from the recreation at their reservoirs. Rather than shelling out more $ for more enforcement, I would suspect they would rather close them to the Public.

6. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    Im trying to donate some money but dont have instagram or facebook and cant figure it out or find it.

7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
  8. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    nevermind found the link

9. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +665
    thanks kellen

10. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Memorial service was awesome,
    Kellen, Caligirl wanted to personally thank you!
    Todd Holverson showed up an paid respects we got to talk and meet for the first time, JJBASSER and BBermingham also showed up. Thank you guys. And there was a ton of friends and family that showed support. It was a beautiful sight at lake Murray. Beautiful girls too!

11. huesyerdaddy

huesyerdaddy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Is there any info going around on the guys from the Nitro. Have they been charged with anything yet?

12. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,535
    I see they are still $8,000 or so short for funeral expenses on that donation page. I hope the guy that ran over them pays the whole thing. I guess they could sue him for criminal negligence, and I hope they do.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_negligence

I know we wanted to have a fundraising tournament, anyone know if you'd need a permit? I believe that's what stopped us having the fun SDfish ones some time ago, but not sure.

13. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,596
    Jim Sleight is going to put one together.

14. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Yes, Sleight is organizing a benefit tournament. I'm not sure what was up with that donation page, in one night it went from almost 11K down to 6K.

15. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    I brought that up at the memorial to Michael. He stated that a single person made a large donation of 5K and the transaction did not go through for some reason or the person backed out. Sad to see that, hopefully it was not a scammer trying to trick the family?

As far as a memorial derby it is a bit slow on getting set up, but I have no room to talk since I'm not the coordinator. Jim Sleight, aka Bubbarig. Might be Jason?? Jim, Gene from ECBT and I believe John from Anglers Arsenal are is the team setting it up so I'm sure they will get a permit for the event. They have their hands full rite now with the Team Open 2 day event scheduled for next week so Im sure hopefully more details and a set date and place will be provided soon. Also rumor has it that El Cajon Ford is going to be playing a strong supporting role from Paul Leader in the tournament. If those guys are all involved I'm sure it will be a good time an hopefully a big turn out.

16. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Those things take time. It'll be first-rate when its going.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. quacker

quacker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Boat:
    chanpion
    I thought it might be of some interest to members of this forum to know the SDPD is in charge of the investigation. The reason of course being that they own the reservoir and have jurisdiction. In some ways I would prefer the CG but am certain they will do a very professional job. I have no reason to believe alcohol was involved but am certain a blood/alcohol test was administered at some point that evening. SDPD was on the scene. It will probably take some time but eventually the facts surrounding this tragedy will be made public.
    Quacker

18. CaliGirl

CaliGirl Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I know that detectives are meeting today with my brother and his wife, Jeff's parents,to get more information . Over the last two days I have been asked by several people at Russ' and Jeff's services about why more details haven't been released. As frustrating as it is, we have to respect the procedures of police investigation. A thorough investigation,accurate details and complete evidence gathering is the only way to a just outcome. We saw how wrong the media got the details in the first few hours after the crash. We cannot afford for the authorities to do the same.

19. CaliGirl

CaliGirl Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Regarding the accident that killed Jeff and Russ, Jeff's family has been told by the detective that it will take up to a month for the investigation to be complete.

20. RIParadiseJeff619

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Caligirl for the updates! We will be checking in the following weeks. Hoping to hear some good news about these idiots being arrested. They must have connections because it's odd that no one has been charged.
    We are trying make a small memorial for Jeff at McDonalds but it is difficult with this seriously uptight and insensitive manager we have.