Boating accident at El Capitan?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    That would certainly make sense then also. Same scenario applied if they weren't too far from shore already. If they were, then no way to explain why the Nitro didn't just pass them to the right, except that he simply didn't see them, or saw them too late.

2. Boro

Boro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Boat:
    Ranger 370V
    Sincerest condolences to family and friends of those involved.I never met these guys but I got a big knot in my stomach.Let me know where to donate funds.

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I will also add that I believe I now know the owner of the Nitro (not sure he was driving it). And he's 68 years old, so probably not the quickest reaction times or best eye sight at 7 PM (with the sun setting as you come around North Point).

I'm not going to release his name, because I'm not certain it was him driving. But I'm sure it'll come out soon enough.

4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,592
    I still can't figure out why the only clue that there was a missing person was because they found.the ID in the boat? How could neither of the drivers of the Nitro not see there were 2 guys on the boat? Were they were in Shock? Maybe another error on the reporting? Or did they never see the boat, because they were looking behind them while taking the corner?

5. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    Yeah Kellen, After I posted that I started thinking about where this apparently occurred and there would be no way the boat that got hit would be running with the shoreline on the right of the boat. I am assuming the area of the accident was near, or at North Point???

If they were indeed crossing the lake towards Conejos, theee is no reasonable explanation for the Nitro not to see, and avoid, the other boat.

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Here is a little map I drew up based on what I've heard, and how I perceived it happening. I also looked up the position of the sun at that time, and put its approximate location in relation to the tip of the north point where the accident occurred. With it being only 8.38 degrees above the horizon at 7:00 PM, it likely could have contributed.

el-cap-collision-map.jpg

#86 Kellen, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  7. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    I herd they were leaving the north shore. That's before the S turn on main lake waters. The red rocky shore line with the cove before the S turn like the map

#87 Joefish, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    Thats where I pictured it when I first heard about it. Its really the only place on the lake that is a blind corner. I have been buzzed more than once fishing that point by boats tearing around that point.

9. madmart38

madmart38 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Not to be disrespectful to the people involved in this terrible tragedy ..... Is there any information as to when the lake may reopen... My daughter and I had planned on a trip this weekend?

10. Big_Iner

Big_Iner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Poor kid what a tragedy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

11. Big_Iner

Ratings:
    +29
    His last post

12. InRodWeTrust

InRodWeTrust Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I read that as well. Couldn't help but hang my head and sigh . From what I gathered from his posts, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy any of us would have enjoyed fishing with.

13. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    First I want to share my deeps condolences to both families, this is truly a sad day. I would like to see SD FISH MEMBERS. set up a trust fund for the family to help out with expenses. Joe maybe we can work though you with this, you seem to know both family's? Seems like many of us want to help, but it's best just to have one point of contact I think.

14. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I sent an email to @RKMM to see if she knew the plans for this weekend, but I imagine things are real hectic around the office there today. Also, probably not really up to the city. I'm sure they'll be open if the authorities have concluded their investigation. If they can't get things cleared up tonight, it'll remain closed.

The night tournament tomorrow night is still on so far, they're counting on it being open by then.

If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be open tomorrow. But that's just a guess.

15. Big_Iner

Ratings:
    +29
    The thing that gets me about this whole deal is two kids in the prime of there life not out partying getting crazy but doing something we all love are taken from there family,by the irresponsible behavior of someone old enough to know better.I have two young sons and I can't imagine raising them to become great men and having some piece of trash take them from me. Lets just say there would be no investigation,I would be the judge, jury and executioner. I hope this guy spends the rest of his life in jail

16. SHRED

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Many large bass boats violate the speed limit at our lakes. I've seen it for years. No one out there enforcing it. So sad. For all those who speed I hope you wake up.

17. FishiesNBeer

FishiesNBeer Member

Ratings:
    +9
    This is so sad! I have only fished from shore with my 9 year old son at El Cap. But I have been looking at a Jon boat or even float tube. The float tube is now officially out of the question now.

Perhaps the Rangers need to be more active on patrolling the water. I was out at Poway and even there with the trolling motor only rentals, we almost got t-boned by a couple pot heads that weren't paying attention.

The key is that the driver that caused this MUST be made example of. I have had too many family members and friends killed by drunk drivers!

18. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,592
    With all the changing storeylines we need to be careful not to throw it all on the driver of the Nitro until we know more.
    Looking at Kellen's map: Although it seems that it was clear that the Nitro was going fast around that blind corner, It is very possible that the smaller boat could have been putting to the corner then punched it at the opposite edge of that blind spot too.

19. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,227
    I'm with tools on this one. Beyond the obvious condolences that we've been expressing (and we should), it's barely been 24hrs since this all went down. Let's focus on what we lost, and move forward.

20. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    I will work on getting a trust fund open for the boys tomorrow and speak with their parents about it. They are in no kind of shape to speak about this today. I will post details of the trust fund when.it becomes available us to donate to.