Boating accident at El Capitan?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Jul 31, 2014.

1. turbulence

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    Any experienced boat driver knows, you slow and turn wide around blind corners. You also don't drive faster than conditions permit. This was completely avoidable.

2. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,949
    Condolences to the Victims Family. Sorry to hear.

I always take caution around that corner. There have been quite a few fishermen posted about 100 yards from shore near that corner almost in the middle of the lake as your comming around the corner from the north end.

I also noticed where the new no wake zone is at the start of the north end that people just fly through there not just the water recreation goons but guys with pretty bass boats and fancy stickers on their boats.

Those 5mph bouys ar not that hard to see!!! I bet those guys flew right through there as well.

I wasnt shocked that an accident like this happened there.What was a tough pill to swallow was that is was Fishermen not water recreation goons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    I think they already have a donation fund set up through another website. I'm going to try to verify its legit before posting it, make sure its not some lowlife trying to scam people.

4. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Thank you for having to point out the obvious, I believe it was completely avoidable as well. Its not too hard to miss a boat on a lake an not go around turns too fast

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    memorial-badge-ingram-mendez-fb.jpg

Made this graphic real quick if anyone wants to honor them in your avatar, either here or facebook or anywhere. To make it your avatar here, just save it to your computer or phone, then click on your name in the upper right corner of the forums, select avatar, and then upload it through that.

6. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    Didn't get your email before I left work Kellen, plus the last hour was really hectic. I have been told it is highly likely that the reservoir will be open tomorrow, but I was advised to keep the "closed until further notice" up on the webpage and on the recording 'just in case'. There was a lot of debris and hazmat (like the boat and the gas in the boat) that required cleaning up that they were going to try and get done today. Your best bet would be to call the concession stand, they open at 6 a.m. and if they answer the lake is probably open. Their number is: (619) 443-4110.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
  8. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    I beleive Jeffs brother Michael set it up for them I'm.waiting to hear back from him an Jeffs mother who just recently lost her job confirmed that it was through that company. She has 2 more boys she is flying in from.out of state. Both of these family's need all we can donate.

9. quacker

quacker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Boat:
    chanpion
    I'm the person that picked the two guys from the water. I was fishing the north shore about halfway between the point and the island when I heard the crash and looked up to see a boat air borne near the point. I waited a couple of minutes to see if someone nearer the scene would react. When no one did I hauled up there up there and came upon the capsized Nitro with two guys in the water. The other boat was further up to the north-east and still afloat. I have a 16' Champion which doesn't have a lot of room but fortunately is quite low to the water in the transom. I got the first guy into the boat and was working on the second when what I believe to be a 20' Ranger came from the north and stopped 50-75 yds. west of me. To get to where they were they had to pass the damaged boat and a lot of debris in the water. I called to them for some assistance and they took off towards the ramp. I finished getting the second person into the boat, which was no small task, because they were not only quit a bit bigger than me but fully clothed in water logged clothing. Again, the little Champion is quite low to the water in the stern which helped a lot because the one in the boat was of no help. At that time I took a quick look around, there was little wind, for anyone else in the water and seeing no one took off for the dock. When I got to the rangers dock and started unloading the two guys, which were bloodied up a little and in a state of shock, I was confronted by the two heroes in the Ranger who accused me of leaving the other boat. These are the same individuals who motored past the damaged boat, the debris in the water, and went off and left me to deal with the guys in the water, and they have the unmitigated gaul to accuse me of leaving the scene of the accident. Shortly after I took off for the dock I passed the ranger going towards the accident. It also quite interesting that if the two heroes were so concerned why weren't they out looking for the victims instead berating me. At least I did something other than shoot off my big mouth.

As a little background, I didn't see the actual event, however I did see the two young fellows fishing between me and the point and watched them begin to motor towards the point. I didn't pay any more attention to them and shortly thereafter heard the crash. From what one of the guys told me, the other boat kept moving after the hit which would account for it being quite aways to the north-east of the Nitro. It should be noted the capsized Nitro was not near the bank, but maybe 100yds. offshore. When I asked one of the guys I picked up where the person in the other boat was he responded "dead", which of course was quite a shock.
    This was a very unfortunate accident. and I would not have written this except for being accused of leaving the scene of the accident. I did what I could under the circumstance while my accusers were motoring off into the sunset. And if you think I'm pissed your correct.

10. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,843
    sadly, I remembered an hour ago, that one of my neighbors has a blue and white nitro. he is in his 60's and said he fishes every Thursday at el cap. I walked up to see if it was parked in his driveway, like always. it's not there. I'm so sad. he seemed like a nice guy. I hope I'm wrong. played with his dog on several occasions.

11. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    Quacker,
    Your help yesterday was definitely the right thing to do. I hope I am never in the situation you were in yesterday but I would like to think I would do the same thing as you and lend a helping hand, as I would hope ANY boater, fisherman or not, would do. As for the guys at the dock, if they passed by and did nothing to help they have no right to open their mouths to someone who did. They also have to live with the fact that it is possible, although maybe not likely, that they could have done something to save a life.

In my opinion, being a boater comes with a lot of responsibility. Operating the boat in a safe manner is first and foremost but also includes helping other boaters in distress or, God forbid, in an accident.

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    @quacker, thanks for posting, and thanks for springing to action and helping. I'm sure it was chaos out there and you did a good job in getting those two out of the water, otherwise there could have been more fatalities.

13. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Quacker, thank you for straitening this out, I tried to have you be the "unknown" hero of it all. I never tried or meant to accuse you of leaving the scene. I know you did what you could and looked for any one else that needed help. You are the best man. Thank you again!

14. bigderel

bigderel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Tragic. I couldn't even tell my wife the whole story without choking up and having to stop. I didn't know these guys, but it sounds like they were two guys that were really in love with fishing, and that very well could have been any of us - could have been me.

To those that knew them, or their family, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Today I was looking at some fishing gear I really don't need more of and decided to spend that money instead on the memorial fund. I encourage everyone to do the same, even if it's only a few dollars, please consider donating - help out two fellow fisherman and their families. Thank you for posting the link Kellen.

- Andy

15. fishmeister

fishmeister Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154
    I can't help but think it could have been me. The response to this tragedy from our fishing community has been amazing and I am proud to be a part of it. Thank you kellen for posting the link to donate. I will be praying for jeffry and russells' families

16. tomegun

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +133
    My heart is saddened from this event. Prayers for those involved. I plan on finding ways to help in the healing . So Sorry

17. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    I think that's the thing that sticks with me, that this could have been any of us. Anybody who has ever fished El Cap from a boat has gone around that point at one time or another. All it takes is one moment of distraction or inattentiveness on another boaters part and it could be lights out. PLEASE, lets all learn from this tragedy and be a little more careful out there on the water.

18. 619Angler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +141
    Great job quacker! That was quite a response from the rescued boater when you asked about the other boaters.

Very sad. My prayers go out to all the friends and family.

19. Gooch_fishes

Gooch_fishes Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I just got back from a month long trip today and heard the news. It's a sad day indeed in our fishing community. They seemed like a couple of great guys who had a passion for this sport we all love so much. I remember posting up a few good reports from Lake Murray last year, including one with a 10 pounder, and at the same time Jeff was having a short dry spell at Murray. He messaged me congratulating me on my catches and asked for help and pointers; truly the sign of someone who had a passion to this sport we love and wanted to become as involved and experienced as he could during his free time. I gladly gave him my pointers and secrets to the lake and offered to meet up out there with him, but sadly due to differing schedules and certain circumstances we never got around to working out a time to get out and fish. I'm heartbroken to hear that this has happened to two individuals in our community, especially at such a young age. My thoughts and prayers are with Jeff and Russ' families and friends.

20. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,610
    Thank you Quacker for doing the right thing in a tough situation! I'm betting the cowards will never forgive themselves and screw them!