Boating accident at El Capitan?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Spidey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    RIP you two kids who didn't deserve to die on a fun evening on the water. Thank you Quacker for being there and doing your best, this whole thing is so sad. Keep your head on a swivel and be careful out there, hopefully we are all more careful after this. Sun going down over the dam might have made it really hard to see another boat coming around the point, slow down guys...

2. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    condolences to the friends and family of the deceased. so sad to see something like this happen

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I updated that map on page 5 to include some more information, like the angle of the sun in relation to where the accident occurred as well as its position above the horizon (only 8.38 degrees that day at 7:00 PM). And also added in some details about what quacker saw.

4. Spidey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    Thanks for the update Kellen, doesn't look like sun in the eyes was part of the equation... No excuse for this regardless.

5. RBATom

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +197
    Name:
    Tom Kinder
    Boat:
    Nitro Z6

Done!!!! Thank you, such a nice gesture.....

6. bassinron

bassinron Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Boat:
    Hobie Float Cat
    I have been a long time member of SDFish but this is the first time I have felt the need to post. I'm 67 and have fish San Diego Bass lake all my life. I have had several bass boats over the years but current I mainly fish from my Float Cat. The lake I fish most often now is Lower Otay and I have noticed that there are many people in bass boats that are blatantly breaking the lake speed limit. I especially find this troubling being so vulnerable in a fishing float.

I truly feel the blame for this tragedy is the management of the city lakes. I see people going flat out right in front of the boat dock and in all my years I have never heard of anyone being cited for breaking the law. Not even so much as a warning. If the rangers at the lake were doing there job and properly applying their authority this "accident" could possibly have been avoided. If the city is sued for this irresponsible supervision of the patrons of the city lakes then they are probably getting just what they deserve. I just hope that this horrible tragedy will cause the management of that department to start doing their job.

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,747
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Was the sun still above the ridge around the lake? Seems it would have already "set" with respect to the view at lake level.

8. Largemouth

Largemouth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    My head is held low tonight, in a prayer for these two young anglers.

May their souls find rest in the great water's beyond.

Our hearts go out to the families, friends, and loved ones of the deceased.

#128 Largemouth, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Could very well have. Based on Google Earth's sunlight/shadow feature, that area of the lake was not completely without sunlight at 7:00 PM. At 6:40 it seemed pretty bright actually. So chances are that was right about when the sun was going behind the mountains, or just after. Maybe someone that was there recently could chime in if that area of the lake is shaded about 45 minutes before sunset.

Looking at the angle of the sun though, I doubt it played a part in it. But who knows, we're not even certain exactly where the boats were in relation to the point, and what direction each was pointed at impact.

So its all just speculation.

#129 Kellen, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  10. RBATom

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +197
    Name:
    Tom Kinder
    Boat:
    Nitro Z6
    Donate.png

I don't use Facebook so I posted this on Instagram in hopes that somebody seeing this would also donate to the website. The site is already going well, I just checked it out and 15 donations with a total $1365.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's great!!!!!

11. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    So not only is there the tragic death of two innocent people by out right carelessness and lack of responsible conduct but when the dust settles and the criminal action is adjudicated in court you can rest assured that lawyers will flock to file civil actions not only against the perpetrators but will also include the lake management (aka the city of San Diego) for lack of proper supervision/enforcement. After the money is doled out by the civil court don't be surprised if the city does a typical knee jerk reaction and ban all recreational activities including fishing on all city of San Diego owned lakes.

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Here is a screenshot of Google Earth showing the sunlight levels at 7:01 PM on Thursday.

google-earth-sunlight.jpg

13. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    I sure hope they don't attempt that, but I don't think they even could. Fairly certain they're required by law to allow recreation (especially fishing) on the lakes. One of the feathers in Kevin Mineo's cap was reminding them of that obligation when they attempted to close, or not allow fishing on the lakes before.

14. CSTENO16

CSTENO16 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14

15. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Also, not the first serious accident on the city lakes. There have been countless injuries, even some deaths on the lakes in boating accidents. Less than a year ago they had 2 separate incidents within the same week with boating accidents resulting in very serious injuries at El Capitan.

It would be kind of tough for anyone to prove the city was at fault in my opinion. Speed limit signs are posted everywhere, signs for the no-wake zone are posted as well in that area.

And I have seen lake staff enforce the speed limit and other boating regulations out there many times. I've been told to slow down, never received a ticket though. Seen many people get tickets at San Vicente when the Ranger there used to hide the patrol boat behind the point and get bass boats who flew by around the island.

Not to say they couldn't do a better job of enforcing the speed limit, but people speed ALL DAY LONG on the freeways also and you don't see those being shut down because of it.

16. RBATom

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +197
    Name:
    Tom Kinder
    Boat:
    Nitro Z6

Amazing in all you are doing on this sad story...

17. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,468
    All of this is so sad, I was really shaken up when Fisheromen told me about it a few hours ago. I was at Skinner yesterday and at 7 the sun was behind the bigger mountains, so I'd think the sun would not have been a major factor. The sad part I read from the report from the guy that pulled the survivors out of the water was from the response he got when he asked about the other boater: 'the other boater is dead'. That must have been realized from watching him impact/impale them at that speed- I'm sure they will have nightmares the rest of their lives, their faces will be imbedded in their brains I'd imagine. And I can see where they'd have cuts, from that debris hitting them as they 'went through' that boat.

As far as the two guys that did not help, they may have thought the guy that helped had it under control, and sped off to tell the ranger of the accident, as he also reported the ranger was headed out while he came in. BUT they sure had no right to berate him, that's for sure.

Also, the report of someone being arrested was denied by channel 10 tonight. The broadcasters showed they were trying to interview someone who 'un-hooked a blue Nitro trailer from the vehicle and drove off without commenting'. What a small world if the guy lives next to Jim (jjbasser), as he states.

I'm up for a SD fundraiser to help pay for burial expenses for these two young men, it's thousands of dollars each. I'll donate some art for the winners to help get a draw, besides we are overdue. Also, even though most of us don't know them, it would be a nice gesture to attend the memorial and give our respects.

As far as I'm concerned, the t-boned boat should be made a memorial for a warning up at the concession stand- to wake folks up to the reality of unsafe boating.

18. tmbtc12

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    Boat:
    2012 Triton 19xs
    Very sad to hear what happened and my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved. This will definitely bring us all closer as a community.

19. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    I just picked up my girlfriend from her girls outing an I mentioned what has happen an told them were to find the trust account over the clubs audio system an when I got off stage people started handing me cash. I raised almost $200 in 1 minute. I can do a special for guide trips were 50 or something percent gets donated to the families as well. What do you think?

20. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,468
    Joe, nice of you.

My sentiments exactly, as well as most of us.