Boating accident at El Capitan?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SHRED

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    To all those whose boats go faster than 35 mph I would ask what's the hurry? My boat tops out at 33 and I can get anywhere on these lakes in just a few minutes. We have kayakers and other floaters out there that are tough to see at times. Whether in my kayak or my boat it's unnerving to see a boat coming toward me at 60+ mph on these tiny lakes. Another way to honor these boys is to obey the speed laws and police ourselves. Back it down and save the speed for lakes like Havasu.

2. tomegun

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +133
    The day they started the 5 mph zone one of the park Rangers came by and made stops talking to each and everyone of us(over 20 boats in that area). The Ranger asked us to help inform other boaters of the chokepoint in S turn. This seemed a good idea, so we started waving down the un-informed boaters. Its very easy to lose sightlines when heading down the lake. Many times a fishing boat, or skier or a jetski have popped out of now and shocked the hell of me. I just hope can help avoid tragedies on our home waters in the future. May our brothers rest in peace.

3. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,262
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    Thanks Kellen and Joe for telling us about the trust fund. Our club will be donating to the fund and encourage all the clubs in San Diego county to also donate to the fund. I will also be going to other sites and posting the trust funds address and hope others do the same. I agree that the fishing community should try to attend the funerals to help show support to the families.

4. swimbait

swimbait Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Driving with your port side close to shore coming around a point is dangerous. Some of the smaller lakes in nor cal have counter clockwise navigation rules for this reason. Doesn't matter what the rules are on the lake it's just something to be cautious of. In this case tragically so.

There's been so many bad accidents this year, it's depressing. Drive slow.

Rob

5. woody1

woody1 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Boat:
    Tracker

6. woody1

woody1 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Boat:
    Tracker
    This was a bad deal and as I stated earlier all should give our thoughts to the families of the kids and those involved.
    The other bad deal in this is some of the people on hear are starting to sound like Bloody Decks web in which everyone is negative and putting people down. Hope it stops. this is a sad day for all and we need to focus on helping the people that are suffering. Just to clarify, Im not a kid but a 67 year old who has fished these lakes for over 40 years, clubs and tournaments. This is the worst I have ever seen a situation on these lakes and we need to focus on making things safer and better

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,804
    I would like to attend the services as well, even though i'll probably cry like a baby.
    mike, I'm 99.9% sure it was my neighbor now. I knew both parties and am twice saddened.
    we BETTER learn from this!

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,267
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Excellent idea!

9. SD_Fish_Law

SD_Fish_Law Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Justice Holmes stated, "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife."

Let's keep in mind that emotions were high and it isn't like the guys at the dock continued to fish after seeing Quacker was on scene. The reasonable thing to do in that situation is to have someone on scene and another making sure professional medical care is on its way. Quacker was on scene and obviously did a great and admirable job. The other guys notified the authorities. Both parties were helping.

Maybe the other guys deserve being accused of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time but they certainly don't deserve being called cowards.

Although I have taken a few years off, I've fished with you guys for several years and gotten to know many of you. Not of us has or would ignore helping an injured boater.

While I may have gone to law school I have not gone to medical school so if I came across the scene where two boats collided and someone competent was on scene to deliver first aid, I would haul *** in and let the ranger know to get medical help NOW!

You guys did an awesome job. Be proud of that...all of you.

10. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,322
    Condolences and prayers to the friends and family of the two anglers who were lost to this tragic accident.

11. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    Unfortunately, a lot of the bass boats have trouble going that slow, they porpoise. But most boats probably are able to ride fairly comfortably at 35 MPH.

I know this particular boat's owner (the Nitro X5) had a hydrofoil installed on the motor because the small 115 HP outboard had a hard time getting the boat on plane and maintaining speed. This was not a fast boat. Not even close. Top speed was probably about 45 mph, making it one of the slowest fiberglass bass boats in San Diego.

In this case, I don't think there would have been any difference in the outcome with them going top speed at 45, or the speed limit at 35. They might even have been going 35 mph, we don't know.

The "high rate of speed" thing was based on how they were driving through the no-wake zone, so Todd Holverson, the one quoted as telling them to slow down by raising his hands at them, was upset they were doing more than 5 MPH.

So really probably a lot too much being made of their speed relative to the lake's max speed limit. Its really about the speed they were traveling through a no-wake zone, and also through an area with a blind spot.

On top of that, they obviously were not paying enough attention, or were impaired by alcohol (no proof of this). Whatever the case, they didn't see these guys until it was far too late.

12. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,109

That a valid point...But if you add the possibility of alcohol added into the mix chances are the guys in the nitro weren't able to react fast enough

13. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    Yeah that scenario assumes they actually saw the runabout boat with the young men in it.

The other maybe more likely scenario is that they just didn't see them until they ran through them. Be it they were distracted by something, blinded by the sun (not likely given time of day), or impaired.

14. SHRED

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    All valid points well taken Kellen. I think my point is valid also in the spirit of preventing future tragedies. If someone's boat cannot plane at 35 mph then I suggest they have the wrong boat for these lakes.

15. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,109
    The whole situation just sucks and is so tragic ..Can anyone think of another time the was a boating accident of this nature on our SD waters?.... The only one I can think of is the one that happened at San V some 25 years ago but it didn't involve another boat

16. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    I talked with one of the set of parents at their house late last night and made them aware of this web site and told them this was how I met their son who posted about wanting a ride on a bass boat. They were shocked to learn that he was open enough to ask such a thing, they thought it was cool and just surprised to learn that their kid was brave enough to ask such a question. I told them thats what this site is about, " the close fishing community trying to help one another" I told them there is a lot of support out there and a lot of individuals from this site will be making donations, plus the bass clubs will hopefully make a nice size contribution too. Se all who contacted me about their clubs donating, PLEASE DO SO! Much appreciated…

I wanted to fish the Ford event tonight and was planning on it, but came to a conclusion there is no way I want to be on that lake so soon, no way I want to be around other boats, and a "Space coddet" can not concentrate on any sort of fishing strategy. So all in all I am out. I will probably just show up to record any kind of announcements or special things they do or say, PRAYERS.

To JJ Basser it is tuff to be in your situation I can imagine. TOMMEGUN, these were the two kids who were getting into my boat that early morning we were waiting in front of the gate and I showed a couple of you the BUZZ bait video. That was the 14th, so I know some of you have met them.

I will post when and were the funerals will take place so you all can come an pay your respects. I know Jeff has a casual little one at his house this Wednesday afternoon, The parents asked if you all knew him first hand. I said some do some don't but can relate because they have kids who fish too. Got to go!

17. C0MRAD

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +570
    I own an 18' Procraft with a 125HP motor and I can tell you that getting on plane and keeping on plane while going less than 35 MPG would not be a problem for a Nitro with 115HP. You might have to go almost full throttle to to get up on plane but once up you can quickly back off the throttle to slow down and the boat will stay on plane. That boat shouldn't have a problem doing 20-25mph while on plane.

And for those without boats who don't know; It is very important to get some speed and get up on plane otherwise your bow points up and you can't see a darn thing in front of you, very dangerous.

(and obviously you shouldn't be doing much more than idle speeds while in the no wake zones)

18. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    Yeah, smaller boats like this one are definitely easier to stay on plane at slower speeds. Its the bigger boats that have trouble.

And very valid point about how your view is obstructed when going slow!

19. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    I never called anyone a coward. I did state that they had no right to say anything to Quacker. It was also stated by Quacker that he yelled fr them to help and they took off towards the dock. They should have made sure thay all parties had been pulled from the water before proceeding to the dock. At the very least let Quacker know that you are going for help and not just bailing from the scene.

#159 Moose, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  20. ribbit

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26