Boots

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by Carterantebi, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Sorry, didn't want to hijack @Cyborgstarfish 's thread, but I'm mainly wondering about boots. I used to have American-made XtraTufs before they got bought out and moved production to China. I grew out of the USAs, got the Chinese made ones, and wasn't too pleased. They weren't very comfortable, they gave me rashes on the top of my feet, and they only lasted a few months. Then last week I just wore my Vans, which were just fine, and much more comfortable, until low tide rolled in, and I was sinking pretty good at times. Anyone know if the XT quality has gone up, or if there are better alternatives? I'm a sailing instructor during the summer, and a lot of the guys I know there wear Gill for everything, and they all say they like the Gill deck boots too. Look pretty good to me. They even kinda look like my Vans! IMG_0190.JPG

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,327
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    I've worn XTs for years and never had an issue with rashes.. my latest pair I bought back in June and are fine, lasted 4 days a week all summer, no tearing or ripping.

3. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Odd, I got mine around the same time, maybe a little earlier, and they didn't survive the summer, and I wasn't wearing them 4 days a week either.

4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,327
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    It may have been a flaw.. Do remember when the neoprene settles it different with every pair. Also I'd wear Ronstan over Gill booties, those things had great grip and durability back were the go to when I raced Lasers.

5. Rasamufasa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Matthew
    I have always worn my xt boots without any problems

6. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Ah shoot, totally forgot about Ronstans! I even had a pair of those back when I raced lasers too.

7. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    These things were the shyt! IMG_0191.JPG

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,709
    Goin on seventh year with my xt boots, only my second pair ever. Not sure when they started making them in china but if it was over 6 years ago then I'm all thumbs up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I think you got one of the last batches before Honeywell bought them out. It's seems they've gotten more strict on the quality control though. I remember when I got to go to Alaska a couple years ago, there was a whole black market going on for the American ones. Those boots are all people wear up there. When XT moved to China, there was a whole crisis there. Remember when Hostess went out of business maybe 5 years ago and twinkies were selling on eBay for thousands and thousands of dollars? Same type of thing.

10. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +707
    I got a pair of Shimano ankle boots last year and love them. I have very wide feet and though they look like clown shoes they are very comfortable, easy to put on/take off and are absolutely slip proof. I use my XT boots for working in the garden as while they are USA made they weren't that comfortable and are a bugger to put on/take off.

11. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Are those the evairs I think they're called? Those look pretty nice too. I heard the XT boots were originally designed for agricultural purposes, mainly for dairy farmers walking ankle-deep in cow dung.

12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,709
    Same thing as walking in MB

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Pretty much

14. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,785
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    Their first series that came out of China where not the best. Since that (about 7 years ago) they have been just fine. Last pair lasted three summers of fishing and two hunting seasons and they still keep out water.

15. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,785
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    Got my chick those gill boots for super cheap at a Dana sale. She likes them, I just like the sole of the XT for hunting and hiking and ****.

16. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,344
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    What's different about the sole?

17. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +600
    That whole Chinese XT thing is dead now. I have had the same pair for 3 years and wear them for everything. Yard work, hiking, fishing, camping, whatever. Just buy the XT's and be done with it!

18. geofish

geofish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,535
    XT - My 2 cents

They're a bit more expensive but worth it. I'm on Year 4 with my XT's. Aside from the lining separating, due to folding the tops down(deckhand style), these boots have performed way beyond my expectations. I don't know where they were made, they:

1-Are the cool boots 95% of the SD sport fishing deckhands and crew wear

2-Look cooler as they get older

3-Don't leak, so my feet don't get wet unless, I don't pay attention to the wave or surge of water going over the top or I step into a mud/seaweed sink hole trap! LOL

4-Aren't the greatest on slippery Jetty rocks but feel like superglue on a wet boat deck

5-Aren't the most comfortable on long walks on cement or standing 12 hours on a pitching deck or just 12 hours for that matter. Have toyed with orthotic inserts, but would rather spend money on real gear and complain about my feet.

6-Do chafe your lower calf. Cure = longer socks. Problem resolved

7. Bottom line, $75 at Squidco. 4 years / $75 = $18.75 per year and still going.......at year 5 = $15 per year. Shop around, you can't beat that price!

Or you can spend $20 bucks per year for cheapies. I have and they seem to last almost exactly a year. I bought the Westmarine boots for $65 years ago. Performed well for almost two years, but got that "Sneaker Crease" where your foot bends and cracked....then leaked. Quick fix was rubber glue/Shoe Goo....which got me through the rest of season........Then I went XT........two pairs later and 10 seasons......

You do the math ......Cool and Bad Arse and performance to boot........No brainer for me!

BTW I've worn my XT's 18 times this year alone! Some 12+ hour sessions.....

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. geofish

geofish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,535
    If you want wet stinky wetsuit smelling feet! Um absolutely no one but tourists wear them on a sport fishing boat. Yeah they don't slip, yeah I wear them while surfing, but nah....your feet are wet therefore not qualifying as Boots........um, why they're called "booties!" LOL!

BTW - Teva style shoes work as non slip too, but you get squishy "Sardine Toes" on a sport fishing bust! LOL

20. stnwag0n

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +246
    guys that use xtratufs for walking around the low tide mud, do you guys use the 15" or would the 12" be good enough?