1. Spotted bay bass SDFISH shirts available to order

We're doing another run of the popular Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts, with a couple of additional colors this time. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Boots

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by Carterantebi, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,621
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    XTs have a boot sole for hikin, snow, mud, can pretty much go anywhere. Those gills have razor cut which are awesome too. But in the mud and snow, not so much. Get some Tuffs. They are always a little uncomfortable at first when they are new. But all boots are after wearing yours for years. Looks like you'll just have to break them in more, shucks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,621
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    ^

3. Rasamufasa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    Name:
    Matthew
    I have the 12" boots and they work fine unless it's the quicksand mud but even the 15's won't protect against that

4. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Captain of the Cays
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,863
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    lol I would never wear those for fishing but I loved them for sailing all day everyday back when I was into racing.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,077
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Alright... I will chime in.. I fish and work in rubber boots all the time. I've spent 7 and 10 hour days/nights applying pesticide, digging or running a chainsaw in a drain at times. There is a simple choice to me. Either you get durability and less grip, or you get good grip and replace when worn. I have always felt that bata and lacrosse make the nicest hard boots, but... I have gone down in a curbline with a running chainsaw in hand while wearing batas and I can say, without reservation, that I would sacrifice three years of durability for one second of potentially life saving, ankle break prevention in a heartbeat.. Believe me or not.. @Fat Spottie knows what I mean, I think. . anyway, carry on xtratuf crew.. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,558
    Just looked at my boots today, they are made in USA. Whew

7. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,863
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    That's what I figured based on when you got 'em. The American ones I had were found on eBay still in the box so I lucked out despite being a few years late. When I grew out of them, back on eBay they went for twice the price thanks to added demand.

8. Dont_Trip

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +250
    That's why I wear my cowboys. I wear the 20$ servus boots for shorepounding and can't go wrong. They now have cow s*** on them as well lol.

IMG_0093.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  9. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,863
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Haha those the cowboy boots that help with your Texas rigging skills?

Quite honestly, I like normal shoes better as far as boating goes as long as I'm not doing anything too serious. They're much more comfortable and don't get hot in the middle of summer. I don't have any issues with slipping...yet. My feet never get wet or anything, maybe a little cold though. And if stuff gets messy, it's always fun explaining the blood splatters to girls at school the following Monday... lol chicks dig it;)

10. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Those girls are either into some weird shyt or you've got some really good skills at telling tale tales

11. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,863
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Lmao I'm hoping it's the latter...something slightly badass about getting the deck all bloody I guess.

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,077
    Boat:
    3 too many
    It has certainly worked for me...

13. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    @Carterantebi I'd pay attention to what Werf said about the trade off between boots. When fishing at one of the spots we frequent I nearly sprained by ankles a couple times and slipped every ten feet or so on algae and other crud. I wear XTuffs because they are a deck boot, and I had wore them because they are extremely durable boot that can handle the duties of being a deckhand well, and up until recently cattle boats were one of my main forms of fishing. But when it comes to a multipurpose shoe, I'd stick to one of the softer shoes that have better grip because it can save you from a trip to the ER with a broken ankle, and it will still work fine as a deck boot. Sure, it may degrade faster but the extra grips helps you in all sorts of tricky areas and they are fairly affordable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,077
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Depends on the fishing, for mud it's not as big a deal.. For rock hopping, it is FAR more critical.. For missions to lj or sunset, it is almost the only consideration.. One slip at sunser can be not just an ankle breaking incident, but potentially life ending as well..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,863
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Totally agree. I've personally pulled the super tall Xtra Tuffs off friends who screwed up their ankles a few times, and it was definitely not pleasent. I try to avoid rocks altogether which works out well for me since there aren't a whole lot of rocks where I tend to fish, but when I do fish rocks, I do my best to do it at a higher tide when the slippery rocks are submerged. I'd think maybe those sailing booties might come in handy for that type of stuff.

16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,077
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Cheap pair of servus, tingley, dunlops etc isnt bad insurance to have in case you ever have the itch to hit up one of the rockpiles with or without @Fat Spottie and/or I sometime. .

17. 5-20

5-20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102
    I have the gill boots. They fit my wide feet much better than the xtratuffs. But my feet do hurt at the end of a long day on the boat. I haven't tried using one of the inserts yet.

However, yes, the shimano orcas seem to be really comfortable so I may give those a shot, clown looking or not -- it's really all about how it functions at the end of the day for me. Hoping they're as wide on the inside as they look on the outside!

18. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,863
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I've got kinda wide feet too, but I think I'm just gonna have to try a bunch of different stuff on next time I get the chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. DPevin

DPevin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +394
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I have size 13 and my feet are flat as bricks. I bought my first pair of boots back in November. I was looking into the gill boots because they were more affordable, read some good reviews and there were said to be better for wide feet. I went to pick them up the day before a trip to Catalina. Damn shop that had them closed early apparently because the guy working was sick and they didn't have anyone to cover for him? oh well. Went to another shop but all they had were smaller sizes. Said F it and sprung the extra cash and got the XTuffs.

So far I have been really happy with them. All day to Catalina and back, multiple 3/4 day boats, jetty fishing, reservoir fishing, in the rain, bushwacking, mud almost pulling the boot off my foot reservoir ninja sessions...hiking up and down steep muddy hills and having good traction, and watching buddies with flat soled shoes slip haha. They have been great so far. Probably use them at least 2 times a week. I rinse them off everytime though, esp when I have used them around the salt water.

Only thing I can think that maybe is an issue is they are really hot when its warm and the sun is beating on them. And kind of cold ironically when its really cold out. But it doesn't really bother me. But I'm pretty use to wearing boots all day and my feet being uncomfortable for work anyway haha.

I don't know if its just me and my flat feet or what. But those Servus boots are brutal on my feet. We have them for work when its raining or we have to be down in the cellars or what not and there is shin deep crap. Or if I don't want to jack my redwings up with something nasty. And they always tear up my arch, like almost feel like im gonna get blisters....although ours are steel toe'd versions so not sure if they are different. But I just wear them while I need to and take them off when I don't need them. Don't like spending long ours in them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. SteveD

SteveD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Boat:
    none
    Can anyone report on the XT shorties? 6" tall or so. Probably not good for the mud but might be cooler and more comfortable on a boat.