Braid over mono ?ec

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by B8DHOOK, May 30, 2020.

1. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,118
    So.. I’m trying to set up an outfit just designated for deep water rock fishing. I have an old TLD 15 lever drag reel that’s been a smooth dependable work horse over the years, so I thought it might make a decent rock fish reel.. my goal is to make sure the spool is completely topped off with braid so I get maximum retrieve from each turn. I’m too cheap to go and pay for 600 yards of braid, so I bought a 300 yard spool of 50lb. Spiderwire from Wal Mart, along with a big spool of 30lb. Big Game mono. My plan is to fill the reel 2/3 or 3/4 full of 30lb. Mono, then ( if I judge it right ) top off the reel with 300 yards of the Spiderwire. I guess my question is.. Can I do that, or is putting braid on top of mono a big no no ? I’ve always been a monofilament guy, so I’m not real familiar with the do’s and don’ts of braid. Any suggestions are appreciated.. Jason.

2. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Chris
    No problem there, that can be done especially if you don’t anticipate dropping far enough to get in the mono. Kastking has super cheap braid that hasn’t failed me yet AND it’s a bit thick so might actually benefit your situation for example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Chris
    Just make sure everything is packed super tight so you don’t dig in under

4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,118
    Thanks Delorian.. ya, I was a little worried about the braid digging in. Will make sure to pack that mono real tight. It will probably take several wraps before the braid settles in and starts to roll on evenly.

5. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Chris
    You’re also just rock fishing not tuna fishing so good enough is good enough if you don’t get it professionally put on. Just wind n grind.

:emoji_fishing_pole_and_fish:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,307
    Like delorian already stated, you will be fine...
    Probably get it crammed full of 50 - 65 lb power pro @ squidco for fairly cheap, consider that next time....
    The mind set is Joey at Squidco spooling off of bulk spools is cheaper for the consumer vs buying off the shelf filler spools.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,450
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Cheaper yet are the 1000m spools of cheap Chinese braid, it works, and a spool of 80-90 will pretty much fill up a 4/0 for 18$ off Amazon.. the real question is, how deep are you fishing? Drifting 1400' on the ridge in MX water is a different deal from 250' off intn'l reef

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,118
    I really appreciate the feedback guys.. I thought I’d be saving money by taking the short cut, but I guess I should have looked into braid pricing before I got started. I had $60 - $100 in mind if I took it to Turners etc.. it sounds like braid may be a whole lot cheaper than I had expected if I shop around a bit. My wife uses Amazon Prime and tells me she can get anything I may dream up and more through them. Lol. I’ll sick her on the braid endeavor and I’m sure she’ll hook me up. ( not a big computer type guy myself ). Sucks being simple minded some times. Not all the time....

9. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Chris
    #9 Delorian, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  10. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,118
    Great idea Delorian. I remember the old lead core line had that same type measuring deal..

11. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Name:
    Chris
    Yeah I have that color on my JB braid on my fathom 2 20 levelwind. It’s nice to know where the bottom is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Salt is no different than fresh having both are always good. If you only have 1 then I would choose braid

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,203
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    I mean no reason either should or should not work. The braid will be whats used primarily so there shouldn’t be an issue. I filled a VISX 16 over at squid co for $50. Some 650 yards of 100lb pro spec.

I mean braid fished with 50ft or even shorter top shots are fine. I’d like some mono on there if I find some of the bigger reds and lings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,480
    I’ve had great results with Kastking black braid, and linebig a very knowledgeable bass fisherman on this site turned me on to black braid, he uses a black felt pen and blacks out his favorite braid, that got me shopping for black braid because I found a lot of times it started fading and being lazy as I am, I wanted a black braid so I wouldn’t have to deal with it, if you test black verses green you’ll see black is less visible.
    Very reasonably priced.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List