Breaking the stereotype

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fomen, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ever heard of 26 year old Snocia Moseley? No....... Well that doesn't surprise me. This is the name of the person who shot up a Rite Aid distribution center in Maryland yesterday. Moseley was a temporary employee who for some unknown reason decided to bring a 9mm Glock into work and shoot 7 people, killing 4 (one of which was Moseley in a murder/suicide).

So why doesn't it surprise that you've never heard of this person, or this story hasn't gotten more coverage? Easy! Because the shooter broke the stereotypical, liberal mold for who commits these unprecedented crimes. According to the liberals, the stereotypical mass gunman who commits these hate crimes is a conservative, Caucasian, man who targets people with opposing political or religious views. Their hatred and intolerance of minority groups compels them to act out.

But Moseley didn't fit this mold. Moseley was a young, African American, liberal, transgender. POLAR OPPOSITE of the stereotype. And if the liberal media's unwillingness to report on this isn't bad enough, the friends and social advocates of Moseley are minimizing and even justifying the act, saying Moseley was a victim- unheard and confused. There's been no remorse or sympathy from Moseley's supporters towards the REAL victims.

As you read on Moseley, you realize that Moseley wasn't a victim. Moseley lacked ambition. And it was everyone else's fault that Moseley couldn't succeed and be who he/she wanted to be. So the discriminated Moseley INDISCRIMINATELY killed people who had ZERO to do with where Moseley was in life, and how Moseley got there. People with families and children.

So........ What do you guys think about that? Is there a double standard? If this person fit the stereotypical mold, do you think there would have been more coverage and public outcry?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,825
    Name:
    Larry M
    Saw the story on the news last night, just that a woman went on a shooting spree and nothing more.
    Interesting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    I’ve seen the story...soo........I guess people are reporting on it..

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Did you see the details of the shooter on the news? I never said they didn't report on it. If you read my post, I said they didn't describe the shooter, and they didn't give it NEAR the attention that they give mass shooting when the shooter matches their stereotype.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,825
    Name:
    Larry M
    More news on the Internet about it from the media.
    I'll have to wait for tv media tonight to see if they cover more about it.
    Doubt it though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    You said “why doesn’t it surprise you that you’ve never heard of this story and it doesn’t get more attention” ...and I have heard of this story is all I’m saying..it’s being reported...it’s getting attention...but it also is a rarity..at least for work place shootings...but I think what you’re tryna say is that the liberal media is biased? Sure thing..just like the conservative media is biased....but again like I said I’ve seen all the details on this case from multiple news outlets...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,337
    I heard something on the radio news. Also heard about a shooting in Wisconsin either the same day or next - but nothing more.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Interesting question. I dunno… I was aware of the “breaking news” from yesterday about this. IMO – it got about the same amount of coverage/attention as the Wisconsin shooting earlier in the week. I’d say the common denominator in these type of shootings is mental illness, rather than race or political ideology.

I also think we’ve become desensitized to shootings. Unless there’s significant casualties/death, it just doesn’t get the coverage. (Depends on the news cycle too I suppose. Slow day in the news room might give something like this a bump).

To your point though, I wasn’t aware of motivational issues, discrimination, lack of remorse, etc. My usual sources didn’t mention that.

If this is being downplayed as you suggest, is there a news source that’s correctly and adequately reporting this? For that matter, is there any news source that we all can agree on that’s objective?

9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,825
    Name:
    Larry M
    6:20 pm, CBS national news just gave about 15 seconds to this story. Mentally ill, how many people died or were injured, and that she kill herself.

10. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    -itself

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,825
    Name:
    Larry M
    It's a follow up to post #5.

12. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,453
    Name:
    Kenny
    Forget the shooter profile. More importantly, this story doesn’t fit their “ban assault rifles” campaign.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Did anyone hear about the recent shooting in Abilene? Three guys arguing over a mattress? Videotaped on a cell phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPPJ6HOrcqY

Have to confess, it’s tempting to call that stereotypical…

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. chris cox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +365
    Yeah, that video is crazy...ive always wanted a gun for home defense but im pretty sure id get blown away over dirty dishes or leaving my dirty laundry on the bedroom floor.

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,384
    Uh.. it goes without saying, yes on both. There's an agenda that has to be met and held - I'm sure everyone who's sensible sees that. This incident did not fit that need, thus it was shelved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,384
    There's gonna come a time - very soon - when you're going to wish you had just bought one. The general feeling is, Feinstein, Harris and a few other of our state clowns are working on some kind of "bill" that will introduce CA as a gun-free state (i dont think that could ever happen, but..).

Regarding personal ownership, I'm all for every law-abiding citizen going out and buying themselves a weapon or two - along with a few thousand rounds to go along with them. Eventually, ammo is going to be the new gold.. and you're going to wish you had some of it. Door locks are only going to help you so much. The more Trump gets done in office, the more pod purges will become common. Violent protests, heavy looting and national level threats will be a daily thing. Any one of you watching the Kavanaugh mess can see where we're headed.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,771
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Doesn't Feinstein just give you a warm fuzzy feeling?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,453
    Name:
    Kenny
    Is that what that is? I always thought it was nausea.

19. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,384
    I'm so blown away by Feinstein. All the moaning and groaning is coming from CA representatives. Very embarrassing to note that its most always a CA dem rep doing the complaining.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +566
    During Kav hearings she talked ARs. Called them “strange and unusual” in attempt to control narrative so they potentially can be banned/controlled per Heller.

In fact they are “in common use” and are America’s top rifle maybe only second to a .22.....not subject to control. Several million in public hands.

One of the firearms rights groups called her out on it this week.