Bucket Brigade SD Inshore

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Deep color, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +633
    As an essential worker fishing has mostly been quick trips for croakers this 2020, but today was a skiff day. Armed with 4 poles the bucket brigade headed out solo out of Mission Bay for one YT and a few small calicos. YT was caught on a slow trolled mac. 2/0 circle, 40lb flouro, 80lb swivel to 40lb braid. SS 870-7' Saltist LD20 2 20200927_194326.jpg Screenshot_20200927-185826_Gallery.jpg BB

2. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +963
    nice one good job

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +633
    Good to be out and get one on ice

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,957
    I am getting hungry at that fillet. I'd probably eat half of it with just some soy sauce...and chuck the rest on the grill for a couple minutes. How do you usually cook a bonito?

5. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +633
    Honestly I'm not a big fan of bonito even when it's iced and bled as I always bring ice with me even when I shore fish, but when I do its cooked with onions and garlic.

I first remove all the dark meat then chunk the fillets into 3/4 in cubes.
    Stir fry onions and garlic with a lot of butter on low heat. Then increase the heat and add the bonito right away and cook fast. Don't over cook it or it will come out dry. Season with garlic salt, black and red pepper then finish of with lemon and your favorite hot sauce. Not bad

BB

#5 Deep color, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +120
    I found recently bonito taste really good as poke, made it the traditonal way with fresh ginger and garlic and it was great. Agree with OP cooked with garlic and butter is quite good as well.

7. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +907
    The key is to very picky with the meat and that means a lower yield. I keep mostly the nicer loins and filet a centimeter over the skin because that mean below the loin is mushy. Keep in cold and most people couldn't tell you its different than tuna.

8. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +120

Precisely.

I actually wrapped a few loins from the larger bonito in ceran wrap and let them chill, firmed up the meat enough to prepare it as sashimi which was great with some homemade ponzu.

I have an ice full cooler ready in my car and I find that getting them on Ice as soon as you can keeps the meat firm.

Nobody who tried the poke or sashimi could tell that it wasn't tuna.

I always feel dissapointed when I see people treat bonito like they're some sort of garbage on boats.

But then again, a lot of people who fish aren't the best cooks in my experience :emoji_smile: