Calavera lake Carlsbad

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by sr20veneovvl, Aug 18, 2010.

1. sr20veneovvl

sr20veneovvl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    has anyone fished that small drinking hole? Is there anything in there worth waiking up early for? thanx for any info.

2. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    I have fished there a couple times briefly from shore for a couple of dinks. You'd need to tube it to see what it really has to offer. I've heard there were good fish in there.

It used to be debatable whether or not it was legal to fish, but I heard it's posted now (haven't been up there in a couple of years).

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    Its been several years since I fished there. I used to fish it out of a small raft before I had a float tube. There have been some nice bass caught there. The biggest one I caught was five pounds. The area was posted then, but joggers and people walking their dogs were always out there, and so were tubers and shore anglers. The Sheriffs helicopter flew over once while I was out on the water; I waved at them and they waved back. I think that in those days, they were mainly enforcing to keep motor vehicles out of the area. There used to be crappie and bluegill there too. Perhaps things have changed since then. I know that the lake has been drained or the water level lowered a time or two over the interim years.

4. KirkG.

KirkG. Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    About 18 months ago they posted it and it is currently illegal to fish or have any water contact.

They, the City of Carlsbad, I think, deeded or put into some type of trust that allowed the Calaveras HOA to take over management of the property and lake and the HOA didnt want people fishing it.

KirkG.

5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    Boo! thumbsdown.jpg

raiseBSFlag.jpg

6. dshotter

dshotter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Ive never fished there, but I look at it on google earth all the time. Im not sure what type of enforcement HOA uses, but i'd imagine it would be easier to fish then your local golf course with Mr. 10 dollar per hour security guard

7. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    There is a row of houses facing the lake and the lake is in a little shallow valley, so the people in the houses can look down on the lake. I suspect that the homeowners themselves will call in the sheriffs to kick any trespassers out.

Makes me wonder if the HOA doesn't even want any home owners fishing the lake. bluThinking.jpg

8. sr20veneovvl

Ratings:
    +2
    Well thanx everyone for the info. I just painted my floattube camo green and I'll make sure I go buy a sniper outfit so those crazy home owners cant see me. LOLZ!!!!

9. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    When I was in the process of moving back to San Diego about 7-8 years ago, my wife (fiancee back then) and I were really trying to buy a house in the development up there. We watched the info being leaked out over about a 1-2 year period about the plans for the community. They showed fishing imagery, and I was really excited about possibly buying a house with a lake in walking distance. They used it as a selling point. I have mentioned it in past threads.

If I ended up buying a house there I would have been pissed about it.

10. chris102681

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +823
    once again fishermen and women being looked at like criminals. we sure make a ton of noise, spray paint rocks and walls and throw our trash all over where ever we go. Us the most annoying people on earth.

11. sr20veneovvl

Ratings:
    +2
    I painted walls when I was a teen that was fun until I got caught. LOLZ! I just want to fish and relax and eat the occational bluegill or crappie. YUMMMIE! thanx everyone for the info.

12. Xen

Xen Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It is still legal to fish there. There is a small posted sign where it says "no fishing" but there is not code or subcode with it. This is the only place it is posted and I REALLY had to look for it. I spoke with the City of Carlsbad and they said that the HOA doesn't like people fishing there and they are the ones who post that wanna be no fishing sign up there. Knowing that, I walked along the trail and threw a line out as I grew up fishing blue gill there. The show is very overgrown with reeds and like old dirty basser said, you would really need a tube to get a good feel for whats still out there. But I was surprised to see the reaction I ended up getting from people walking, hiking and biking. Lots of questions and inquiry. No hostility. I will be going back with my tube and see what the structure looks like compared to what it was. Oh, I was able to get to the water from the dam side. If anybody wants to meet up and check it out lemme know!

13. gordon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +310
    hi i came back from the dead to say thanks for responding to my post. thanks.

14. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    I used to fish here back in the day (20 years ago) and would get bluegills all day with meal worms. I didn't know anything about bass fishing but I remember seeing people leaving with stringers of big bass. I also saw folks launching basshunter pontoon boats and thought that was a cool way to get on the water.

So is it legal to fish now or not?

15. Xen

Xen Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes. As of right now it is. They want it to appear as though is it not allowed though. But the many times I've fished there over the last year I've gotten nothing but great conversation from passer bys.

16. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    That's good to hear. If I can make it out there to fish I'll pickup any trash laying around and keep it clean so there isn't any issues from the HOA.

17. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,509
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i
    I used to fish there about 3 times a week in my tube. This was probably 10 years ago but I would fairly well flippin' the tulles with creature baits for bass. If the bass bite died off, I would "troll" yellow 1" curly tail crappie jigs around the edges of the tulles and absolutely wear them out. I'm not sure about nowadays but there used to be an enormous population of crappie in there. They weren't always very big but 40-70 fish days weren't uncommon at that time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. Xen

Xen Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Man crappie are fun to fish too! Now I wanna go target them, lol

19. SDLocalfishnoob

SDLocalfishnoob Active Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Well that was fun while it lasted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Odie

Odie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60
    stopped by today for about an hour before getting kicked out by private security. i was right off the dam and in plain sight so i had it coming. anybody have any credible sources i could cite stating the legality of fishing there if i go back and get stopped again?