Calcutta 400

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by NashvilleBass, Sep 12, 2019.

1. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Hello everyone,this is my first post since joining,and lots of excellent info here at Sdfish!

Just recently I acquired a 90's new in box Calcutta CT400.I always wanted one,thinking it would be perfect for throwing swimbaits 3-5oz for bass. I was so impressed with this reel it's got me thinking of getting a couple more.My question is,will the newer 400B model be as good or better,or should I hold out and try to find another new older model 400? Thankyou for your time and comments.

2. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,245
    The B is a better reel. I believe it has something to do with the Anti Reverse. Having said that, I told myself I would get the B as soon as my 90's CT400 failed. I can service it myself and after 25+ years it hasn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18
    TY Double Minor! That's quite an endorsment for the older 400.Though,I do understand/owning 2 90's Calcutta 250's that are still in service.
    Good to hear about the 400B,TY!

4. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,424
    Name:
    Ray
    I have a bunch of different model Calcutta's. In my opinion, for 3-5oz swimbaits the 400D is a much better choice than the B.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,568
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Had my original Calcutta 400 for over 20 years. It’s caught thousands of corvina in the Salton Sea and a bunch of calico bass. I service it regularly and it’s as good today as it was when I bought it. The newer models have improvements but I sure haven’t missed any of those improvements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,102
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I have both CT400 and Ct400b models also Ct250 , There longevity is legendary when properly serviced . The older version doesn't have an anti reverse dog to back up the the clutch bearing on the main shaft . Keep the AR bearing clean / lubed and you won't have a problem . You should probably stock up on some level wind gears , pawls and end bushings . They wear fast no matter how well oiled and are becoming nearly extinct as far as replacement parts go . Also get a spare AR bearing . Unfortunately Shimano doesn't keep the supply chain active as long as the reels tend to last , Planned Obsolescence . If you can justify the extra cost the TE models are nice I just never could afford them . WR

7. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18
    TY Capt Ray. I did consider both the Tranx400 and 300D Shimano's.
    Good info,TY

8. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18

9. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18
    William TY,awesome info regarding old 400.Yes,I will pick the up parts up you mentioned.Very cool!!
    I was aware of the anti reverse problem,I will pay attention to it.
    I have my reels serviced a good bit by Shimano,though I do clean and oil them on a regular basis.
    At this point I feel my best option is to just buy a new 400B.
    TY again.

10. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18

11. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Mogambo,man that's great new to hear! I plan to really take care of this one I have,but feel with parts dwindling etc,I better just get a new 400B.TY

12. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,102
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    If you are cranking big baits the power handle from the 400 BSV is a good addition , however if you put one on get a counterweight from Dave,s reel service . The handle is not truly counter weighted and if you don't add the extra weight to the handle the reel can and will engage unexpectedly while casting . Dave's customizes the handle and sells complete or you can buy just the weight and install your self . BTW the 400"TE" handles do not fit the 400 or 400B . The shaft is larger on the TE . When replacing the handle the plastic nut cover usually will break off where the screw retains it . The metal nut and retainer from the Cardiff 300 / 400 handles fit . WR

#12 William Ritchie, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  13. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18

14. NashvilleBass

NashvilleBass Member

Ratings:
    +18
    TY,good to know about the better reel handle and Dave's Reel Repair.
    Lesson learned...I always figured the TE models would always be around,so I just kinda put off getting a 300 and 400 model.
    To this day I still kick myself.I see used ones,but uncertain about getting a used model.
    I'm just glad I bought 2 new Curado 300E reels back when they were still available.One just came back from Shimano getting a new gear set.

15. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,424
    Name:
    Ray
    I have both the Tranx 300 and 400. I cannot speak to longevity as both are only a couple years old but here is my experience to date:

- Tranx 300. If you want a low profile reel for large swimbaits that has a level wind that cast great, good line capacity and a great handle, this would be my first choice.

- Tranx 400. This is my 15-20lb saltwater work horse. It cast a mile, has good capacity with 50lb braid, the drag is excellent and the handle suits me perfectly. I have caught many 20lb+ grade YFT and YT with ZERO issues. I sent it in to Dan at REELEX for a complete service and it is better then the day it came out of the box.

I am sold on the Tranx series at this point. The only unknown is the longevity. I have Calcutta's that are first run (25+ years) and still going strong.