Calico Surf Rod

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Efrain, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    Hi y'all, I have been looking for my perfect surf rod for calico fishing structure and believe I found. 9'11 St. Croix legend tournament rod touted as a flip/punch stick and rated .5-2 oz with a moderate fast action. I am looking to use it for tossing .5-1 oz ledhead/swimbait combos and wanted to know what y'all think. The one deterent is the price, it is up there and I could get a custom rod for the same price. The nice thing about the rod however, is that it already has the specs I have been looking for, seems great for a single hook jig, and do not have to worry about whether or not the builder got my specs right. The rod also has 15 year warranty. Please chime in, more so if you have experience with the rod.

2. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,947
    Name:
    Keath
    I've got a couple St. Croix rods. The models that are made overseas are pretty lifeless and component quality is sub-par. The metal rings broke on several guides and the inserts fell out of 2 Triumph surf rods that I bought about 3 yrs ago. The models made here in the US are good. I have an 8' Avid surf rod that is really nice, but it was about 2.5x the cost of the overseas products.

I fished the surf for calico this past summer and had a blast. Used a couple different rods and threw between 1/2oz - 1oz weight.
    10' Black Hole S-1002 surf rod rated for 1/2oz - 2oz, 4000 size spinner - this is my workhorse and had no troubles.
    8'10" Rainshadow light live bait 15-30lb; 3/4oz - 3oz; 300 size baitcaster - a little stiff for casting the 1/2oz jig
    8'10" Rainshadow light multipurpose 15-25lb; 3/4oz - 4oz, 300 size baitcaster - different blank material and this one is ok for 1/2oz jig​

The longer rods are pretty essential for fishing on top of structure and you'll want something with decent backbone to get the fish up and over the ledge. Fish typically hang in the cuts or along the ledge and dive straight back into the rock after they strike.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    Thanks! The rod is US made.
    Would have never expected that from st croix honestly.the last rod you mentioned sounds promising, will look into it.

4. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,693
    I’m structure fishing from the beach too and feel the same as K-Bo. It is advantageous to have a long rod or at least a longer rear grip (butt end).

You can only wade and cast so far into the ocean to reach the sweet zone before the incoming tide pushes you further back on to the shore.

Spots may only have 15-45 min window of fishing before it gets outta reach.

With that said, I’ve also witnessed legal calicos getting caught on a $15? cane pole before rising tide pushes the angler up higher.

Each to their own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    Never seen it on a cane pole but I have caught legal+ on 7 ft bass spinning rods. Currently use 8 ft h, 7'6 mh baitcasters and do well. I want the rod for days with large surf where the longer rod will really shine.

Another option the the phenix Tribeca pro mh BC rod, however the tip seems a bit soft for kelp and structure. Again, I have done it with less but just want a rod for the job

6. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,947
    Name:
    Keath
    I wrapped the 2 Rainshadow rods myself. They are single piece blanks. I had a hard time finding factory rod with the same spec, which is what drove me to start wrapping my own.

7. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,947
    Name:
    Keath
    Amen brother...out of reach and out of bites! I find the bite on structure is like a light switch...when it's on you better work fast because it's going to turn off at any minute.

8. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Awww, c’mon. dj thrillz has us catching them on 2 and half foot Barbie and Spider-Man rods from Walmart! Don’t need any $300 St. Croix! Sheesh! LOL!
    PS- K-Bo has found some sweet spots as far as the rods go. Seen and held his gear. Straight money.

9. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,217
    True story