Calico

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Efrain, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    Hi y'all, I have been looking for my perfect surf rod for calico fishing structure and believe I found. 9'11 St. Croix legend tournament rod touted as a flip/punch stick and rated .5-2 oz with a moderate fast action. I am looking to use it for tossing .5-1 oz ledhead/swimbait combos and wanted to know what y'all think. The one deterent is the price, it is up there and I could get a custom rod for the same price. The nice thing about the rod however, is that it already has the specs I have been looking for, seems great for a single hook jig, and do not have to worry about whether or not the builder got my specs right. The rod also has 15 year warranty. Please chime in, more so if you have experience with the rod.

2. Valco14

Valco14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    As a surf rod , personally, I would want something that could cast up to 4oz , In rough surf or salad, with a shock leader, you can punch out beyond it. Something to consider if your spending good money.
    Afterthought also , if this rod is designated solely for calico swim bait fishing ,and you have other surf ups,
    then go for it .

#2 Valco14, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  3. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I know nothing about that rod, but the upper tier St Croix rods are fantastic.... I have a Legend Elite Steelhead rod that is my all time favorite rod for the surf.. But also just my favorite rod period...
    Butch

4. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    If it fills a void in your arsenal don't worry about price.

If your worried about your builder getting your specs wrong find a new builder.

5. schuck

schuck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    For that amount of $$s and something different, you might want to consider some of the 2 piece JDM shore rods like the 9'6 MH Shimano Dialuna. I have the 9'6M in baitcasting and use it in the surf, as well as the bays. Great rod, good for up to 3/4 leadhead with max 5" swimbait, and 140mm+ hardbaits. MH could fit what you want. Easy to order from jdmtackleheaven or northonetackle. Not sure of stock availability.

Add: I have a 2 piece 8ft St. Croix Avid spinning rod for surf as well. Not a direct comparison to the Legend but it is a nice rod with a relatively parabolic bend. The Dialuna is significantly lighter, stiffer (also rated heavier), more sensitive and feels "precise".

#5 schuck, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    Thanks. Weight is a concern of mine as well. Will look into the JDM rods as well. The last time I was in the jdm market I only found spinning and being a westcoast guy a bc is my bread and butter. Good to know which sites to try as well

7. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    I agree with your first point.

I have never had a custom made rod but when I talk to builders and tell them I want a 9ft mh-h fast action rod they tend to tell me it is to hard to dial down a blank, more so because I want to throw .5-2 oz lures. I don't want to pay and be stuck with the rod. I imagine it would be a hard sell as well.

8. Efrain

Efrain Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Name:
    Efrain Sandoval
    Very reassuring, thanks Butch.

9. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    Yeah I know what you mean. I usually have my guys pull on a number of blanks to make sure they get what they want. Cuts down on buyers remorse.

The hard part is definitely finding a certain blank if a local shop doesn't have them in stock. If it's something I can use or easily flip I'll order the blank. If my guy doesn't like it then no big deal since I can usually find a buyer or build it for myself. The latter is usually the case. :emoji_grin: