1. Last day to order Spotted Bay Bass Shirts

Today is the last day to order the new Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Calico's at Coronados

Discussion in 'Private boaters and general saltwater' started by jerseygeorge, Mar 19, 2017.

1. jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172
    Friends. I am hoping to head down to Coronados in morning. Weather looks good and reports are water is clearing. Mostly seeking YT, there have been some consistent reports. Also my fishing partner for the day always enjoys a freezer full of rockfish. So might give that some time.

But- I recall posts a few years ago from a guy that used to catch YUGE Calicos at the Coronado's. The fish almost as YUGE as his ego. Does anyone have any tips for down there? Up here we catch them mostly on kelp. All his pics were fishing in close to the rocks. If we can't meter any YT, perhaps I will chase them for a few hours.

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,185
    Not much to it really...it's called "boiler rock" fishing, and a great way to get the bigger calicos (and sometimes yellowtail as well). Cast right up on the rocks with swimbaits, jigs, even live bait and you'll get bit.

You need to use pretty beefy tackle, because you need to be able to control the fish as soon as you hook them, and you obviously can't just go up shallow to shake a snagged bait free if you hang it up on a strand of kelp or something that's attached to a shallow rock.

Keep your boat off the rocks obviously, which can be the primary challenge to fishing the boiler rocks.

Here is an article on SDFish from an old member, @steamroll (Nathan Clookie) which outlines boiler rock fishing. It's written for kayak anglers, but the same concepts apply.

http://sdfish.com/articles/saltwater-articles/kayak-boiler-rock-fishing-for-calico-bass/

He talks about Trix Jetty Worms, which are big bass jigs that were tailored toward saltwater bass, made by @Fishtricks for a bunch of years. He no longer makes them, but there are comparable products on the market still.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,217
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I was out there yesterday. Very very fishy. Report coming later.

4. GutHooKeD

GutHooKeD The Cashmere Panda, AKA the Bamboo Boss...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,356
    Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    14ft skiff
    Keep the motor running and have eyes on the back of your head, waves can push your boat into the rocks. A lot of guys will have one person casting, and the other running the boat for safety.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. jerseygeorge

Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks all. Taking an "ex" head boat captain with me. He could never get into the rocks with a 70-80 footer and he is bugged out tomorrow. When I have seen pics online of folks fishing in close to the rocks there was always an OMG reaction. The link from Kellen was excellent. I packed stout rods, all sorts of lures, and will pick up a 1/2 scoop of bait on the way out. Will post a report tomorrow.

6. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I went once years ago on a small skiff...at night during a full moon; it was incredible! Big swimbaits, big jigs, so close to the boiler rocks you could feel the mist on your face with the breakers. Not a single calico under 2-3lbs, the largest right around 10lbs....and we caught many.

Like what was said and what you know, it is dangerous for an inexperienced person. Someone needs to be on the controls at all times, especially at night in the dark guided only by moonlight. But damn that was the best big calico fishing i've ever experienced.

7. jerseygeorge

Ratings:
    +172
    Any fishing story that begins with, "I went once years ago on a small skiff at night during a full moon" is a darn good story! Must have been amazing.

8. George Pusey

George Pusey "gordo"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,249
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    I would personally fish the east end of south island, other areas are too rough. It's always calm on that side and there are several rockpiles up against the beach where you can anchor up and fish. Like @Kellen said stout or heavy gear is mandatory when doing this kind of fishing.

9. jerseygeorge

Ratings:
    +172
    Wow, we got our butts kicked by the fish today. We were not targeting Calicos but just looking for fish. Left SAN Bay at sunup and it was a quick run to the north island. We looked around for any sign of YT, and had a few fishy marks but nothing on Irons or dropper loop. Then moved in to fish up against the rocks. There was little swell and current and we could get in close and cast and cast. Threw everything in the world and not a single fish off the rocks.

Moved into middle ground, fished more rocks, went to back side of south Island. Nothing. Then went back around to weather side of North Island. All told a few macks and one bonito (trolling a hooked up bait, nothing touched the X-Rap).

But the Coronados gave up very little to us today. It just was not a fishy day for us, and did not seem so for the few boats there.

Caught a mixed bag of small fish at IB Pipe on way in, and fished SAN Bay for a few hours. Again a mixed bag of small fish but one Hali that was almost.... legal. But not quite.

Wonderful day on water, smooth rides down and back, just not a fishy day for us.

I did procure all of the Visas, etc. No sign of the Mexican Navy today. The tuna pens are inside of the south island.

10. George Pusey

George Pusey "gordo"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,249
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    They have been there since early last year, I remember seeing them set up the pens last spring. This would have been the same day as my "I got deported" report.