Calicos, corn, peas, sabikis and hot dogs?

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Werfless, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,902
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    So, @DPevin and I were having a bit of a thread jack in the bay section so I figured we could get going on a new one here.. After seeing @Carterantebi catch a few calicos on a sabiki, and talking with @scisports about him catching some calicos on peas, it reminded me of a conversation I had with a couple long pole types on north jetty. These guys were using corn for opaleye bait, as well as chumming some, and one guy pulled out a decent looking calico when I was standing a few feet away. Anyone have experience with calicos on crazy lures or baits? Any thoughts @aquaholic , @Cheese Whiz , or anyone?

2. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,765
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Nice, good thinking to move the conversation.

3. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Not really anything crazy, but I've caught Calicos on basically every kind of bait I use, squid, mac chunks, shrimp, lures etc so I believe the stories of them eating weird stuff are probably true. Don't have any interesting stories to add though unfortunately haha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,902
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    And since I can jack my own thread .. @DPevin , just curious about the area where the hot dog crazies were operating? Was this in AZ or something?

5. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,765
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    No no....Orange County. They were young teenagers. But I had seen them there quite a bit and were doing it often.

6. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Catcherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,663
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Bread for opaleyes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,475
    I've caught opaleye on trout dough bait, and I bet it would work on other bay fish as well. I met a guy in Mission Bay once that claimed bay bass love KFC chicken skin.

I've never caught a calico on anything really strange. I caught a legal once on a sabiki rig that had #12 hooks, and I once caught a couple of calicos at the jetty by drop shotting flies.

Speaking of the jetty, @Werfless , I learned today to never fish the jetty after a big rain. I went there this morning at 6AM for the incoming tide, and the water was super murky. I only managed to catch one fish in three hours. One fish at the jetty! There was a stretch of an hour+ where I didn't even get a bite, despite moving around and chumming.

8. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,142
    I remember going on the OB pier and some guy had a bucket full of some nice size Opeleye, I asked what he was using and it surprised me when he said peas, I wondered how he kept them on the hook, it was almost as hard to figure as when I was fishing stripers in Susiun Bay in San Fransico when I saw this guy with a 200 lb Sturgeon that he caught on he said grass flies it was Mazzini that he could them on a hook, I still can't figure it out how you keep them on a hook, how do keep a pea on the hook when you cut it out?

9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,475
    I read many articles that claimed opaleye love peas. I tried it once while sight fishing opaleye at Quivira Basin. The opaleye couldn't care less about it. They would swim up to it, look at it, and then turn around and swim away. It wasn't until I switched over to power bait that I caught one that day. I'm not saying you can't catch them with peas, but I've had far more luck with shrimp.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,902
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have always heard this.. Never tried it though, shrimp seems easier to bait with for me (no treble required either). I gather you have success? Care to share what rig style you prefer?

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,902
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    @Jenx , we used to use peas at the OB pier and get them, really, I think mussel is the best bait for them by far.. They become an enraged mob when you crush some mussels up and throw them in.. It's crazy.. No jetty action eh? Fish may have been gorging themselves in the rain outfall garbage, I was contemplating drifting a worm at the sdrc later.. Curious if the turbot etc would key on them post rain, never looled into it tho..

12. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,142
    I have to tell you the guy had some really good size OPEL'S, I think the shrimp would be a lot easier to keep the bait on the hook then peas or bread.

#12 Vito1023, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,722
    I remember being told that corn is illegal to fish with due it the fact that it cant be digested, also heard it was just a rumor that just so happen to start buzzing around after powerbait hit the scene

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. sumpin_fishy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +155
    I have used peas for opaleye. They really do work in the right setting. Ive seen calico eat them as well. My strangest calico lure has been a topwater frog.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,456
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    With all of these examples, I guess I'm going to have to top it off with a savage gear duck.

16. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,902
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I double learned it for you tonight.. Pulled a blank more or less.. Lobsters were out tho.. Saw a guy get a legal not far from shore..

18. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I went on the Jig Strike Saturday night for hoop netting and the boat ended up with only 2, one being just barely legal. Seems those bugs have been really hit or miss recently. On Friday they killed it and got limits, or close to it.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,902
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Looked like a bumper crop tonight, brought one to hand and three to the surface..

20. Agiambre

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +374
    Boat:
    Cayman 11.5 Kayak
    I went out to the south jetty at Mission beach around Christmas last year to wast some time. Had a pole, 2 flies and a treble hook and disgusting cheese from MREs i keep in my car. I caught (and released) a few Garibaldi. Had to use a key ring as a weight, They were curious about the fly when it sunk past them. Put the cheese on the treble and it worked. I would eat dog food before i ate that cheese but they seemed to love it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List