California Fishing News

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Egorham, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Egorham

Egorham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Hey SDFish,

I recently started a new youtube video and podcast called California Fishing News. The idea is it's a weekly show where I cover what's biting, catches of the week, look at the SST charts and chloro, etc. Anything about fishing. The focus is mainly on socal offshore fishing but also touch on whatever else interesting I find.

This stems from the fact that I'm basically obsessed with fishing. Even when I can't go I listen to pretty much every 976 report, check out norcalfishreports.com, read all the BD reports, etc. All my friends would ask me what was going on so I thought others might want to know as well. Kind of like Let's Talk Hookup but it's only ~30 mins instead of 4 hours a week and isn't bloated with ads.

If you spend hours looking at fish reports online you might not learn much, but for those who don't, it's a succinct place to get caught up.

Don't worry - I know there's a fine line between promoting fishing and blowing up spots/bites. I avoid highly pressured issues. I will never talk about a specific SD lake largemouth bite for instance. Sure when Barrett tickets go on sale I'll talk about that - or if someone catches a 15+ and it's in the news, but I will not be saying "the topwater bite at otay is on fire go get em".

I feel the same about surf fishing spots. So I will say "corbina are running, surf temps are 70" but I won't say "Go fish Torrey Pines".

Anyways, it's a work in progress. I'm 4 episodes in so far and get a little better each time (I hope) but still have a long way to go. In the future I want to incorporate guests as well - like if someone just got back from a 3 day offshore trip or an eastern sierra trip and wants to talk about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhmtC61nHE&t=23s

Here's a link to the most recent episode on Youtube. It's also on iTunes, Spotify, and Stitcher.

Would love feedback on how to improve and other things to include to make it a better show.

Thanks for reading and hopefully listening :emoji_fingers_crossed: Tight lines!

#1 Egorham, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very cool, will check it out later on

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Name:
    Larry M
    Egorham, very nice. I subscribed with youtube.

4. Egorham

Ratings:
    +219
    Thank you gentlemen. If you have any ideas of other things to include or feedback I'm all ears. I'll be putting another one up in the next two days.

5. F1$H

F1$H Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    Will definitely be checking this out. What a cool idea.

6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Name:
    Larry M
    I don’t know how to do this but I see on youtube videos little yellow dots where you can jump ahead. I don't know how hard it woild be to do this. For now I just jump ahead to the sections that I'm most interested in.

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Egorham , LMK if you ever want a show guest, bounce ideas around the SST, phone in jetty/cliff or IV report, etc.. I have an ear to the ground everywhere too, and even if I am a bit gone I still have a pretty good presence, lol (hear me on the cast and spear podcast? Hahahaha).. even a conditions report or conditions footage, ideas for dumb challenges or whatever

8. Egorham

Ratings:
    +219
    That's a great idea, I'll look into it. Last week I commented on it with timestamps so people know where to jump exactly, but didn't do it for the most recent one... I'll make that a habit going forward.

Definitely will, would love a breakdown of the IV. It kinda blew me away when I first read about it here since I've lived in Southern California the majority of my life and never thought of it as a fishery - I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'll pm you.

9. Egorham

Ratings:
    +219
  10. Egorham

Ratings:
    +219
    Another episode is up. Making them shorter now so they're quicker listens. You can view it here as well as find it on any of the podcast platforms.

Also started an interview series. For the first one I interviewed a Nicky Vu. He's a deckhand on the Aztec and an aspiring tournament bass fisherman. Wanted to diversify and produce some content with more rewatch value - plus gives me an excuse to talk to fisherman and pick their brains, win-win! Would love if you guys checked it out.

Werfless You're up next for the interview!

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Let's do it!

12. Egorham

Ratings:
    +219
    Really stepping up my thumbnail game with this one. It's an unfortunate part of youtube, you can't just produce content you think is good, to beat the algorithm you have to play their thumbnail/click-bait title game. Alas, you do what you must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Y8DH29LUE

This week I talk about: big yellowfin tuna bite rebounding, bluefin from 50-300+ pounds still around San Clemente Island, Catalina Island yellowtail fishing, Santa Rosa Island rockfishing, Coronado Islands being looked at, inshore and surf fishing, Dungeness crab opening weekend, freshwater trout, steelhead, and salmon fishing, and more!

Many thanks to those who have subscribed and listen!